TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 1987 TW, It has the original battery.
It drains every year, I stick the trickle charger on it in spring
The neutral safety green lamp comes on.
It kick starts every time, and will kick start all summer long as long as I run it every day or two.
It never has enough juice to crank with the e-start unless it's right after a nice long ride and the engine is still warm.
My question is: Would this be possible with 88 and later TW's?

I'm wondering because Yamaha basically stole the 87 ignition from a kickstart SR185 and kick only XT200/TT225. I checked with the Australian fiche and they still used this 87 style stator setup in the 2005 Kick only AG200.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The original battery??? Impossible. That's 27 years!!! I have trouble (and, I think everyone does) making a motorcycle battery last 2 years.

If it really is that old: There's your problem. Get a new battery.

Personally, I don't know anything about the battery and kickstarter vs a 2005 AG200.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
It sounds like your basic question is "Can you kick start an '88 and up without a battery in the bike?" Or maybe "a really weak battery in the bike".......I don't know for sure but I am betting you can.

·
Registered
603 Posts
If a lead acid battery is left dead or even a low charge state for an extended time the sulphur plates out as a solid and is no longer available for the chemical reaction that takes place in lead acid batteries. The loss of active sulphur reduces the capacity of the battery drastically.

I use a DeSulphater on my RV batteries but once they get really bad, the battery is pretty much toast.

Yep, as others suggested, time for a new battery.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well yes I know it needs a new battery, that goes without out saying....but that wasn't my question

I only ride this this one from late May to October, and this battery still holds charge enough to kickstart it, I just went and rechecked, the neutral light comes on when the key is turned. Seven days since last charge. I bought this bike in 2001 from original owner and have never done anything to this battery but top it up and trickle charge it.

My question was, Do other years kick start with zero or low battery power, or is it something with the 87 stator and wiring?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Personally, I don't know anything about the battery and kickstarter vs a 2005 AG200.
Well the 87 is different from all other year TWs in this area, The AG kick start model is different from the AG E-start in the generator. Yamaha is still using the 87 TW style generator in it's latest incarnations of kick start only agricultural bikes for developing nations.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So then the answer to the question is that a 2014 will definitely start and run and the lights will come on if a kick starter is added and the battery is completely dead? The new CDI's don't need external power to create a spark at the plug? Has anyone BTDT?

·
Registered
312 Posts
ok here is the deal, I have a 87 tw also, has a brand new battery in it and it will go dead in 4-5 days with the key off,and will kick start with a dead battery, I put a switch between the battery and the ignition switch and turn it off when I am not running the bike and my battery will hold it's charge, my guess is the rectifier is leaking voltage and draining the battery. I have been running it this way for the last 1000 miles with no problems so far. My battery will stay up then and I can use the electric start all the time with out having to charge the battery.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That's interesting to know, but why not just replace rectifier, wouldn't that be easier than splicing a switch? I don't mind kicking at all, I figure if it doesn't start cold in two or three kicks then there is something that needs attention.

On edit, that KE 100 you have, is that a rotary valve version?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Coincidentally, I went to start my '95 TW yesterday. Dead. No lights, no starter, no indicator lights either. Kick started it to run to the Post Office. Got back home okay. Removed seat to charge battery and found the battery totally disconnected. Bolt and nut vibrated loose. Therefore: bike started and ran fine without battery. Lights and turn signals? Not so good. The '87 models and AG's could be different. However, I bet they run without batteries, also.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Coincidentally, I went to start my '95 TW yesterday. Dead. No lights, no starter, no indicator lights either. Kick started it to run to the Post Office. Got back home okay. Removed seat to charge battery and found the battery totally disconnected. Bolt and nut vibrated loose. Therefore: bike started and ran fine without battery. Lights and turn signals? Not so good. The '87 models and AG's could be different. However, I bet they run without batteries, also.
LOL I guess I posed the question at the right time, gotta love that kick starter.

So then from all this I think we can safely deduce, that the reason Yamaha still uses the old style 80's stator on the AG200, Is that they are cheapskates...They don't want to have to absorb designing and casting costs in order to produce a kick start only stator cover that will accommodate the newer style stators.

·
Registered
684 Posts
All TWs will start and run with a dead battery or without a battery. If you do not have a kicker you will have to push it or roll down a hill.
The ignition is a stand alone system and the battery runs everything else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry if I'm jumping on this year post, but I bought a 1987 just recently in good shape. But it does have some issues electrician too. And I was wondering would it be the best just to change the whole wiring harness to a newer one. I saw one on eBay for $90 but it's for a 2013 tw200 and that would probably be a stretch wouldn't it? So I was wondering where I should probably start? Should I start with changing out the CDI? could I update it to a newer style or am I stuck with what this bike has? thank you for all your help and your suggestions ahead of time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry about some of the words on my post but I talking to my phone and it changes the wording electrical problems is what I was trying to say but if you can help me out I really appreciate it

·
Registered
478 Posts
Welcome! To switch to a newer electrical system, you'd need the wiring harness, cdi, left side cover with stator, and flywheel off a newer model.

However, there's really nothing wrong with the '87 electrical system, aside from the fact that it's a single year design (for the TW, anyway).

What kind of electrical problems are you having?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome! To switch to a newer electrical system, you'd need the wiring harness, cdi, left side cover with stator, and flywheel off a newer model.

However, there's really nothing wrong with the '87 electrical system, aside from the fact that it's a single year design (for the TW, anyway).

What kind of electrical problems are you having?
Thank you for your reply. I desided just keep it as is. Put new battery and rectifier. It has went through 2 rectifiers , it blows them. Where do I look to find the problem? Please help. What is it that I need to look at to solve the problem. Thank you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts