TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,315 Posts
Tires may look great – but if they are over 10 years old, you are trusting your life to old hard rubber

The only way to sort this out is to test ride it, and hard. If it’s responsive across the range - $1200

Sounds harsh, but there are so many flexible bits that simply aren’t flexing anymore – it adds up pretty quick …..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tires may look great – but if they are over 10 years old, you are trusting your life to old hard rubber

The only way to sort this out is to test ride it, and hard. If it’s responsive across the range - $1200

Sounds harsh, but there are so many flexible bits that simply aren’t flexing anymore – it adds up pretty quick …..
Much appreciated!!

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Pics would help us determine the bike's condition and a reasonable price range. Remember, any TW is only worth what someone is willing is to pay for it, and what someone is willing to accept for it.

I have owned 5 1987 TW's ranging in price from this one that the guy was willing to give to me for free, but I used my superior negotiating skills to get him to take $50.00 for it.

IMG_0661.JPG

To this one that I agreed to buy sight unseen for $400.00. The guy even delivered it to me. (I couldn't wait to get it unloaded and hand over the cash for it!)

100_3154.JPG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pics would help us determine the bike's condition and a reasonable price range. Remember, any TW is only worth what someone is willing is to pay for it, and what someone is willing to accept for it.

I have owned 5 1987 TW's ranging in price from this one that the guy was willing to give to me for free, but I used my superior negotiating skills to get him to take $50.00 for it.

View attachment 207045

To this one that I agreed to buy sight unseen for $400.00. The guy even delivered it to me. (I couldn't wait to get it unloaded and hand over the cash for it!)

View attachment 207046
Wow Sweet deal for $400.. Some Pics on Craiglist Rochester N.Y. if you want to see it.. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
6,068 Posts

Looks pretty clean and unmolested, but the pics aren't very clear. I personally wouldn't pay over $700 or $800 for it, primarily because it is a 1987 (i.e., relatively high mileage for a TW, problematic electrical system, limited used parts availability, etc., etc., etc.). My guess is you could get it for $1,200 to $1,300 if you really want it. I would offer $900 for it and be prepared to walk at $1,100.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
5 or 10 years from now it won't make one iota of a difference whether you got it for $300 less or paid asking price. Even if you have to buy a new CDI the more time that goes by the less relevant it becomes. Naturally pay as little as possible but if you like it get it.

As for tires, I have ridden on old hard tires and usually what happens the hard surface rubber wears off the the rubber underneath is pretty good. Just take it easy for 150 to 300 miles. Those tires look good to me in the picture.

Another thing is a pristine new looking TW is great but a slightly beat up one that already has scratches on it will be more fun off road. Its the first scratch the hurts the most and if your "new" TW comes pre-scratched you are ahead of the game.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm resurrecting an '87 of that condition, but it only has 2000 miles on the odometer. Same general condition - no tank, leaky fork seals, rusty swingarm, missing plastics, etc. Keep in mind the CDI is a weak point for this year, so you might want to remove that tank and temporarily replace it with something else to see if you can keep it running, before making the ultimate decision. A new CDI and carb will set you back a bit.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
....... see if you can keep it running, before making the ultimate decision. A new CDI and carb will set you back a bit.
Ditto!

If it were mine I would pour a little gas in the spark plug hole and see if you can get it to sputter then make a decision.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts