TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part Number 2JA-81960-A0 regulator/rectifier . It's perfectly fit for the 1987 TW200. Does it fit for 1998 TW200? . 1987 TW & 1998 TW 200 electrical Parts are same . Are there Any Difference?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
Nope - stator is different (the '87 has a different left hand crankcase cover because of this)

The main problem is the wiring to the headlight which runs on AC - which is likely to take its power through the regulator, but not through the rectifier. I have no direct experience of the '87, but this would be the logical way to do it, or you'll risk blowing headlight bulbs

On the '98 it's all DC, so no problem there - straight through both the regulator and rectifier unit

But there has to be something slightly different with the '87 .......

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope - stator is different (the '87 has a different left hand crankcase cover because of this)

The main problem is the wiring to the headlight which runs on AC - which is likely to take its power through the regulator, but not through the rectifier. I have no direct experience of the '87, but this would be the logical way to do it, or you'll risk blowing headlight bulbs

On the '98 it's all DC, so no problem there - straight through both the regulator and rectifier unit

But there has to be something slightly different with the '87 .......
Agreed. 1987 (USA)& 1998 (Japanese Model)TW 200 Stator,Coil Pulser,CDI,Relays Are The Same. Here's The Link Check This Out .
?????? 1 for Yamaha TW200 1998 year | MegaZip Online Store (sales region - Japan (010), Marshal Gold (00KE; MRGD),13365146-768555) .

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
If you look at these two pics (right click, “open in new tab”) — there seems to be subtle differences between the two years, including the part number

87 stator.JPG 87 - vs - 98 98 stator.JPG

You will also notice the difference between the two parts — and not only visualy, but by the fact that the ’98 has six wires coming out of it — while the ’87 has four

And (although I can’t find the part schematic to confirm this), it is my belief that in order to fit the ’87 stator, you need the ’87 side casing — and to fit the ’98, you need the ’98 casing

In addition to this, the ’87 CDI is well known to be very different from the ‘98

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you look at these two pics (right click, “open in new tab”) — there seems to be subtle differences between the two years, including the part number

View attachment 133617 87 - vs - 98 View attachment 133625

You will also notice the difference between the two parts — and not only visualy, but by the fact that the ’98 has six wires coming out of it — while the ’87 has four

And (although I can’t find the part schematic to confirm this), it is my belief that in order to fit the ’87 stator, you need the ’87 side casing — and to fit the ’98, you need the ’98 casing

In addition to this, the ’87 CDI is well known to be very different from the ‘98

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle
Differences Of The Sales Region .

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
87 - RECTIFIER REG. ASSEMBLY (1KH- 2JA-81960-A0-00

98 - RECTIFIER REGULATOR ASSEMBLY - 47X-81960-A3-00

So if you look at my post #4, and the parts numbers above – probably not

Vishwa – I don’t mean to sound rude, but I seriously think that the only way you’re going to find out is to try it and see. Anything I can come up with parts numbers you can challenge by saying “regional differences”, but at the end of the day, I don’t think anyone’s tried that combination before

Will it work – I have no idea – I only have “suspicions” that it won’t. Having said that, it’s an easily reversible thing if it doesn’t, and I don’t think that anything is going to come to harm by trying it (apart from your wallet)

I’ll stay out of this thread for a while – let’s see what other people have to say ……

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Vishwa – I don’t mean to sound rude, but I seriously think that the only way you’re going to find out is to try it and see. Anything I can come up with parts numbers you can challenge by saying “regional differences”, but at the end of the day, I don’t think anyone’s tried that combination before

Will it work – I have no idea – I only have “suspicions” that it won’t. Having said that, it’s an easily reversible thing if it doesn’t, and I don’t think that anything is going to come to harm by trying it (apart from your wallet)

I’ll stay out of this thread for a while – let’s see what other people have to say ……
Ok . My bike is running perfectly without using 87 rectifier.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The Japanese Seller Confirmed. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts