TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha TW200 Forum -

Thanks in advance to anyone who dedicated time to reading this post. I really appreciate any help and love this forum! I recently purchased my second TW-200. This one is a 1987 CA model and has about 3k miles. The bike is in great shape.

I was having some issues with the bike just overall running a little funky so decided that cleaning the carb would be justified. The bike sat for a while before I bought it. Upon disassembly the carb was dirty and some of the gaskets were deteriorating so I am glad I opted to take it all the way off the bike to fully clean it.

Here is my issue:

- I pulled off the carb and disassembled with no problems.

- I purchased this "TW Carb Rebuild Kit" kit from Pro Cycle https://procycle.us/bikepages/tw200.html#carbrebuild

- Upon reassembly I am finding some anomalies.

Mystery #1

- There was no spring in the Diaphragm (part #32)(Carburetor (california Model Only) replacement parts for 1987 Yamaha TRAILWAY (TW200T))

- Do I need a spring? The parts diagrams say it should be there.

View attachment 67393

Mystery #2

- The "main jet holder" had (2) o-rings and the manual says it should only have 1 at the base but not one between the main jet and the main jet holder. (My main jet is a 116 if that matters)

View attachment 67401

Mystery #3

- There is a rubber "nub" next to the Diaphragm. It looks like it was broken off at one point. Is this part of an important piece?

View attachment 67409

Mystery #4

- Missing part (apparently I lost it). Can anyone identify this? I cannot find it in my manual or on any parts diagram.

Hair Black Clothing Shoulder Beauty

Auto part Automotive engine part Carburetor Engine Automotive super charger part

Thank you so much to anyone who can offer any insight. The bike is a 1987 TW200 CA model with about 3k miles. :cool:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I don't have this carb but #1 I would say yes you need a spring. 2&3 I don't know. #4 There was another thread about the same piece missing It is an O ring. I don't remember how it was resolved.

It would be cool if someone with the older style carb would do a thread on it with clear pics of all the parts like the thread on the new carb.

·
Registered
205 Posts
#1=Yes or the diaphragm won't work properly.
#2=If you are speaking of the main nozzle,part #13,then I'm not sure because I am currently stuck on that same issue but the more I look at it I'm wondering if part #12 is your "mystery #4" part? This is not very clear in the schematic.
#3=On my 98 there is a plastic piece that has a flat head screwdriver slot in it and that piece is the little "tit" on the inside that the throttle valve groove slides on. If it has been rounded off it could look like "a broken nub".
#4=That is an o-ring which should be there.And you are correct,it isn't listed.
A picture would be helpful of the "nub". You say your main nozzle had 2 o-rings on it? If so that would cut out the "wondering" part of my #2 answer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replying. Sorry this is slow my notifications were turned off. I am going to order the spring for the diaphragm as well as another o-ring for the main jet holder. I found the thread about #4 looks like I have to make that o-ring out of neoprene. Bummer! I will post pictures upon reassembly. Thanks again. :cool:

·
Registered
1987 TW200
26 Posts
Aloha TW200 Forum -

Thanks in advance to anyone who dedicated time to reading this post. I really appreciate any help and love this forum! I recently purchased my second TW-200. This one is a 1987 CA model and has about 3k miles. The bike is in great shape.

I was having some issues with the bike just overall running a little funky so decided that cleaning the carb would be justified. The bike sat for a while before I bought it. Upon disassembly the carb was dirty and some of the gaskets were deteriorating so I am glad I opted to take it all the way off the bike to fully clean it.

Here is my issue:

- I pulled off the carb and disassembled with no problems.

- I purchased this "TW Carb Rebuild Kit" kit from Pro Cycle TW200 | ProCycle.us

- Upon reassembly I am finding some anomalies.

Mystery #1

- There was no spring in the Diaphragm (part #32)(Carburetor (california Model Only) replacement parts for 1987 Yamaha TRAILWAY (TW200T))

- Do I need a spring? The parts diagrams say it should be there.

View attachment 67393

Mystery #2

- The "main jet holder" had (2) o-rings and the manual says it should only have 1 at the base but not one between the main jet and the main jet holder. (My main jet is a 116 if that matters)

View attachment 67401

Mystery #3

- There is a rubber "nub" next to the Diaphragm. It looks like it was broken off at one point. Is this part of an important piece?

View attachment 67409

Mystery #4

- Missing part (apparently I lost it). Can anyone identify this? I cannot find it in my manual or on any parts diagram.

View attachment 67433

View attachment 67441

Thank you so much to anyone who can offer any insight. The bike is a 1987 TW200 CA model with about 3k miles. :cool:
My advice to you is to start drinking heavily. Or do what I ended up doing and dump that carb. I went with a $30 2nd gen clone carb and OEM manifold and snorkel to the air box. Works really well for me and my 1987. I rerouted the throttle cable to the right side and only use the pull side of the cable since I had binding issues. And the bracket they come with are not like OEM so I used the right holder of the bracket and it works well. Good luck.

Reactions: jbfla

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I found the correct o-ring at theoringstore.com

I'll try to get you the correct size o-ring. I bought a few different sizes and one of them fit correctly. Forgot to write down the size. Will get the correct size tomorrow from a spare carb.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My advice to you is to start drinking heavily. Or do what I ended up doing and dump that carb. I went with a $30 2nd gen clone carb and OEM manifold and snorkel to the air box. Works really well for me and my 1987. I rerouted the throttle cable to the right side and only use the pull side of the cable since I had binding issues. And the bracket they come with are not like OEM so I used the right holder of the bracket and it works well. Good luck.
Do you have a link for the carb, boot, and manifold you bought?

·
Registered
1987 TW200
26 Posts
Any TW200 clone carb 2001-2021 you can find will work from ebay or amazon they are all the same. CARBURETOR CARB For YAMAHA TW200 TW 200 2001 - 2017 200 TRAILWAY. I recommend going with OEM manifold and boot for 2001 and newer TW. 5LB-13586-02-00 & 5LB-14453-00-00 which cost more than the carb but make it fit perfectly on a 2000 and older model. The throttle bracket is different on the clone carb and you can not buy one from Yamaha but I only used the pull side and attached it the the front most prongs on the bracket and it worked perfectly with the original throttle cable routed to the right of the steering head. My bike runs great. You will have to plug up the brass nipple on the manifold or attach a hose to somewhere. I plugged mine. I went to the dealer to see where it goes but they did not have any TW's in stock but if anyone knows please let me know. My guess is it goes to the cannister. Good luck.

Reactions: Crh859

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
.......... You will have to plug up the brass nipple on the manifold or attach a hose to somewhere. I plugged mine. I went to the dealer to see where it goes but they did not have any TW's in stock but if anyone knows please let me know. My guess is it goes to the cannister. Good luck.
That hose is not connected to anything. It has a plug at the end.
The hose acts as a "resonator" for the carb.
Capping the nipple works fine.

jb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.