TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to start by saying I absolutely love my 87. I bought it a few months ago in July and put about a thousand miles on it through August but started to have problems with it.

The symptoms are as follows:
1. Battery is dead but I could kick start but it was very hard to do, problem slowly got worse
2. After a few weeks it started to stall after it was started, but no sputter, when it warmed up I could go endlessly
3. About 1 week later after riding 2-10 miles it would cut off while cruising when not applying gas
4. Started to cut off while under heavy deceleration, problem 1. became a lot worse
5. Throughout these head aches I would occasionally do a running start (pretty easy on this bike) but now I have to get going really fast in 3rd to get it to start (sometimes the back wheel locks) and I have to stay on the gas no matter what or it will die and not turn back on.
6. Parked in a safe place for a few weeks

Known Issues:
1. Battery is completely dead
2. Petcock is clearly bad
3. Noticed the air box has a screw missing, need air filter replaced
4. Chain did come off a few times (pulled wheel back a few clicks and its fine)
5. Carb overflowed once (petcock is hard to turn off) but I hit it with a rock a few times and it stopped??? frustration
6. Oil, oil filter probably

The weird:
The day it died for good (until fixed) I was out riding by myself and I got it up to almost 80. I normally wouldn't push it like this but since the day I bought it 55 was really difficult to achieve. The gears were longer the bike pulled way harder and it was an absolute blast to ride. (I call it the king of short cuts as my friends ride a Harley 1400, gs 460, and a crotch rocket) Then I came up on a red light and braked hard and dead, 45 minutes of push start attempts, nothing. Pushed it to a friends about a mile away and went home to wait to get it later (100 degrees). Came back and 2 pushes later I was home.

What is going on here? any insights will be much appreciated.

Where to buy/what exactly to buy:
1. Good battery
2. Air filter/any cheapish upgrade for reliability
3. Oil filter/best oil
4. Petcock and inline fuel filter
5. Anything else that will help

CDI last please as maintenance needs done first, if all else fails I'll buy 2.
Also will pull apart carb after maintenance but if it runs at all I will ride it and ride it too much.

Rookie guess:
Old petcock threw off small workings of the carb, plus the occasional stuck float (cracked?) in conjunction with bad coil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
These bikes do weird things with a totally dead or disconnected battery. On my 99 when the battery went completely dead, I could start it and run it but when I revved it the lights would go dim. Checked the voltage and it would start off high 13s then drop below 8v at high revs. Also, there is something with the kickstand / clutch safety switch relay that when there is no battery may not allow it to start sometimes even with the kick starter unless it gets enough voltage to engage.

I changed the cdi on mine and it did nothing to improve the problem. Replaced the battery and has been good for two years since,with the original cdi put back in.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,931 Posts
Welcome to The Forum. You have a lot going on. May I suggest looking in the technical section, under sub forums, and read the post on bringing an older bike back to life written by Gary L. I would give the bike a good once-over correcting things as you go.

Reactions: Fred and Tweaker

·
Registered
13 Posts
Followup to my previous reply.

Here is the battery I am running now, it is an AGM battery. It is slightly lower capacity than the wet Yussa battery but I have had it in about three months and works great so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Sonic-...S)+Sealed+Maintenance+Free+Powersport+Battery

Regarding Air Filter and Petcock, try your local Yamaha dealer or one of the online Discounters (ie ProCaliber.com, RockyMountain ATV). Parts are actually not too expensive, Air Filter is about $5, Petcock about $15, and they are OEM.

Oil, I use Rotella T6 in all my motorcycles, is clutch friendly synthetic and not as expensive as some motorcycle specific oils.

Get that battery replaced then go from there, hopefully that is the only problem.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where to buy/what exactly to buy:
1. Good battery
2. Air filter/any cheapish upgrade for reliability
3. Oil filter/best oil
4. Petcock and inline fuel filter
5. Anything else that will help
You got a nice bike but you have a lot going on. I can advise you to do the most part of work yourself. You will receive excellent experience and after repair can sell this bike and buy a new one. If want to save and buy new parts I can advise to look at Parts.fo. This is not a shop, it's search engine for the best deals and prices for the motorcycle parts. Like Yahoo in the motorcycle's stores.

·
Registered
21,397 Posts
Ahhh, we seem to be in the presence of a true Tw-er: " Carb overflowed once but I hit it with a rock a few times and it stopped"

Next time use a metric rock.
:p

EDIT: Enough teasing, here is a good link referred to above:HOW TO---Bring a sitting bike back to life!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts