TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The TW has some unique paint colors that I have had a hard time matching. My left case cover (chain and flywheel side) needs touch up. It seems to be a satin black that is not quite gloss but shinier than BBQ flat black. My swingarm has some battery acid rusting. The silver color has more metal flake than most auto store colors I have seen. Any suggestions for a good match for the case and swingarm?

I have searched the forum but could not find this information. Sorry if this has been done before.:confused:

·
Registered
638 Posts
I believe the correct colors for an 87 is faded dusty everything;)
But if you must, I would use the gloss and then get it dirty (after its dried up some)

·
Registered
118 Posts
High temperature engine enamel paint comes in glossy, semi-gloss (whhic you want for this) and flat black. It's all I use anymore because it's so tough.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Darius. I did not know engine paint came in semi-gloss. That should be just the ticket for the case. Any ideas about silver with lots of metal flake for the swingarm?

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
You probably wouldn't notice any differences in the paint color once the engine has had some muddy water splashed all over it anyway, unless you have a garage queen and keep it like new.

You might try Chrome colored paint, feathered out, it might be close enough.

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
After my bike was stripped down and powdercoated and the engine painted I told myself I was going to keep it clean and pristine...

That didn't happen after all!! haha But I know how you feel. :p
i agree Tommy. A little mud covers a multitude of sins! ;) But I want to start out with the right color in case I ever wash it.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
They have a silver and it kind of conforms and gets light variations of shade according to any imperfections. Kind of like leather how it can have variances but that is what makes it look cool. It says you can paint right over the rust. I still wire brushed, sanded and prepped with rust killer first.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the comments.

Here is what I ended up with for my 1987 TW. On the engine cases: a semi-gloss black engine enamel from Dupli-Color - color number DE1635. For the swingarm, front forks, triple clamp, and handlebars I found a GM silver that seems to be the right shade and with the right amount of metal flake. I had my wife with her color matching talent help with this one! It is also a Dupli-Color paint - color number BGM501.

I also have a replica shroud decal from yamatopdog on ebay. They are located in Bloomsburg, PA.
Shroud_Decal_eBay.jpg

Right now the bike is "faded dusty everything", like Sponge said above. But wait 'til I finish it up! All you 2014 and newer bikes may have to stand aside! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts