TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
1989TW 200
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a line on 1987 TW for sale. I currently have an '89, but want a second for by wife or guests to use at the cabin. I know that the '87's have a one-year only eletrical/ignition system, and replacements can be hard to find.

This bike is exceptionally clean and low miles. The seller has it priced at a point that seems in line with what other bikes are selling for these days, but I am a little wary about the '87 specifically. Would welcome the thoughts of you more knowledgeable folks.

Thanks in advance.

Registered
I've had three '87s, and I loved them all!

The main part that goes bad after 35 years is the CDI, and that part is still available (OEM and aftermarket). Other parts are also still available also, some new, some used (ebay).

The charging system is weaker than newer models, so running accessories or extra lighting might be iffy. I like that the headlight is on its own circuit, and it only comes on when the engine is running, so you don't run out your battery as quickly if you leave your key on. The downside of that is that is you can't run an LED headlight on the original circuit, which isn't a big deal for me.

In short, I wouldn't worry at all about buying an '87. It'll be just as much fun as a brand new one! 馃槑

Administrator
At what price ?~ - I wouldn鈥檛 give more that $800 for an 鈥87, but that鈥檚 just me

Replace electrics, replace wheel bearings, replace tires, replace just about anything that can rust out or rot out, and what are you left with ?

Registered
Replace electrics, replace wheel bearings, replace tires, replace just about anything that can rust out or rot out, and what are you left with ?
Well sure, and the same could apply to a used '89, '99, or '09. Admittedly, I might expect a little more out of a bike less than 10 years old.

General condition and wear and tear should certainly be considered, as with any purchase. Buyer beware.

However, the OP stated this bike is "exceptionally clean and low miles," and that should be considered as well.

Maybe it's had regular maintenance, and maybe it already has new tires... we don't know. To give specific advice about this particular motorcycle, we'd need a lot more information, and some photos.

In general though, I think a used '87 is just as viable as a used '89, '99, or '09.

BTW, if anyone has a nice '87 to sell for $800... please call me first. 馃槣

Administrator
Basket cases do come up from time to time - it's all about condition and price - but the only info we have here are "cosmetics" ......

Registered
How many parts would not be compatible with his 1989?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts