TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[/font

I put my 1987 T-Dub away for the cold season and wanted to freshen up the bike for the next riding season. I took the top end apart as well as the left and right side covers, bead blasted and refinished the parts. New valves, springs and seals on the head. Put a new set of rings on the piston after I cleaned it....was well within spec. The cylinder got a glaze breaking hone to clean it up as well, within spec. The bike only had 9500km on it but bieng 25 years old I wanted to give it a fresh start. Phase 1 (eng) complete, here are the pics!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah, I threw in a new clutch, springs and set it up in a mint fashion! lol. Pics added.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
nice! good pics.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
Hey Hoogie,

What kind of paint(?) are you using on your engine? It looks like you're getting a better than factory finish!

Brian

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Its called VHT High Temp Caliper Paint (CSP739 Satin Black) 900 deg F / 490 deg C. The company is out of Cleveland OH and should be available down south as well, I bought it at Canadian Tire.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Nice.

I should mention, to be culturally sensitive, thumbs up in the U.S. means good job.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dude what is wrong with you? Your shop is cleaner than a hospital room. I need you to come and work in my shop for a while. ;-) Have a look at your cam chain guides while you are in there. They seem to wear fairly quickly. Did you go with a stock clutch? Excellent work!!!

·
Registered
794 Posts
[/font

I put my 1987 T-Dub away for the cold season and wanted to freshen up the bike for the next riding season. I took the top end apart as well as the left and right side covers, bead blasted and refinished the parts. New valves, springs and seals on the head. Put a new set of rings on the piston after I cleaned it....was well within spec. The cylinder got a glaze breaking hone to clean it up as well, within spec. The bike only had 9500km on it but bieng 25 years old I wanted to give it a fresh start. Phase 1 (eng) complete, here are the pics!!!

whoa lapping with that suction cup totally sucks. You get it going and then the suction cup falls off over and over again. I rebuilt many motors but cheated. I put the valve in the head and got a small piece of tubing and put it on the valve top end. Applied some lapping compound and then put the other side of the tubing on a cordless drill and lapped it in and out on a low speed. Never came off and got it done without getting arm pump or tired in a quick time. Oh we also after cleaning the head used a japanese sharpening stone on the head to clean it real good.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Wow nicely done, my garage is a mess. I thought someone stole my TW but it was buried under my Jeep soft top.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
You did goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood. Now take fine sand paper and do the edge of your fins... That always looks cool.. What's step 2 ? OMM.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts