TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem when riding my 1987 tw200, when first started up it seems fine but after riding a few minutes, sometimes longer than others it starts bucking like a bull. Acts a little like not getting gas but believe it is electrical. Carburator has been cleaned and tank is clean. Am looking to replace the black box since I understand that the electronic ignition on early models was sometimes a problem. Does anyone have a used black box (computer) to sell.

·
Registered
85 Posts
+1 here. Its kinda hard to warm up to the $250 needed to get a new one online.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I am having a problem when riding my 1987 tw200, when first started up it seems fine but after riding a few minutes, sometimes longer than others it starts bucking like a bull. Acts a little like not getting gas but believe it is electrical. Carburator has been cleaned and tank is clean. Am looking to replace the black box since I understand that the electronic ignition on early models was sometimes a problem. Does anyone have a used black box (computer) to sell.

Big Jim, You probably have a restriction in the gas flow. If you have an inline filter, change it. If not clean the carb and check all fuel lines for restriction.

Replace the float bowl valve and seat. Check float bowl adjustment.

If you get some gas but not enough, it will do exactly as you describe. It will run well until the float bowl gets low. The it gets erratic or dies.

Some years ago when I discovered that alchohol in fuel can make some plastic deform, I discovered my plastic in line filter doing as you describe.

Shut off for a minute and enough gas got through to do it again. very frustrating until I found it.

·
Registered
24 Posts

I recently had a similar symptom when I took my recently purchased 1988 TW for a ride. Did a few test rides and it acted fine, but the first time I went on a long ride it it acted the same as you described. Got the bike home and put the product called Sea Foam in the tank with a fresh fill of 93. Ran the mix through and after 800 miles the problem has not returned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts