TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any ideas on where to get a good wiring harness? Ebay is what comes to mind, I just feel like there's a good chance I could get swindled, especially because I'm fairly new to auto mechanics and am not entirely sure what i'm looking at.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Ebay is probably your best way to go, simply because it will probably be difficult to find one anywhere else.
A couple of comments: if you're sure you want to retain your '87 electrics, make sure the harness you are looking at shows only 1987 in its fitment chart. I just saw one listed as fitting 1987 through 2008. There's no telling what you would get there, because '87 through '08 covers at least three different harnesses.

My recommendation would be to get the harness that fits 2002(ish; don't remember exactly if '01 is the same) to present and get a side cover, stator, flywheel and new CDI to match. It will probably cost around $500 total for the parts. That's what I did to my '87 because I want it to be around for the long haul and parts availability for the newer ones is much better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since I got my tw, (4 months ago) none of the electrics have been working. I've pulled everything apart and traced back a lot of the wires and a lot of them are missing, have sketchy crimps, etc. I spoke with a mechanic about what I should do and he told me that my best bet would be to get a new harness and he'd pull it all out and replace it. Much less labor, it would be cheaper than having him go through and replace every wire individually, re crimp things, etc.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I forgot to mention that the price of a new 1987 cdi is more than double the price of the cdi for the current model... if you can even find a new '87 cdi.

·
Registered
237 Posts
There are a lot of '87 owners in this forum, including myself. I'm happy to help you figure where wires are supposed to connect, if you decide to resurrect your existing wiring. My '87 was in pretty sad shape when I got it, but the electrical problems were mostly due to oxidized contacts, and it was fairly easy to figure it all out.

Regarding the CDI - I ended up having to replace mine, but i didn't go with OEM. I bought one from Waterloo Specialties (cdiparts.com), and it worked out really well for me. Considerably less $ than OEM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really appreciate the offer. My concern is just that I would need a lot of help. I have no experience with wiring on anything, let alone a motorcycle. I also want to get this finished up as soon as possible, riding season is ticking away fast.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I really appreciate the offer. My concern is just that I would need a lot of help. I have no experience with wiring on anything, let alone a motorcycle. I also want to get this finished up as soon as possible, riding season is ticking away fast.
Did your mechanic show you evidence that proves the harness needs to be replaced, or is that just his opinion? A harness can take a lot of extreme exposure, so I'm wondering if you're just getting the run around.

Replacing the harness isn't easy, either. I think it may actually be easiier to troublshoot what you have. Maybe someone who has done this can give you their opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have it in a different shop right now being looked at. I may be back looking for help depending on what I'm told by this guy. Thanks to you all

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would try to fix what you have. But if you end up replacing the harness you may want to consider what someone else said and replace it with an updated version and the matching stator, flywheel, cover, etc. Problem with the '87 is that it is the only year to use that electric system.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Best of luck with your '87. Your life will be much more fun with your TW running.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts