TW200 Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So, check it out. I just put the carb back on and fired it up. It idled fine and a reved it a couple times and after about 30-45 seconds, it started doing the blubbering thing. I turned off the gas, and after a bit, I was able to rev it and sounded like it's supposed to. When it started to run out of gas, I turned the gas back on and after a minute or so it started the blubbering again. So after about 4 cycles of gas on gas off, I'm pretty convinced it's a carb issue.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
So, check it out. I just put the carb back on and fired it up. It idled fine and a reved it a couple times and after about 30-45 seconds, it started doing the blubbering thing. I turned off the gas, and after a bit, I was able to rev it and sounded like it's supposed to. When it started to run out of gas, I turned the gas back on and after a minute or so it started the blubbering again. So after about 4 cycles of gas on gas off, I'm pretty convinced it's a carb issue.
That sounds like a leaky float valve. It gets too much fuel when your gas valve is on but with the valve off the float bowl is at the correct level or lower it is running good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
IDk what exactly the problem is, but it's definitely in the carb. I replaced the float valve with a cheapo carb kit and still had trouble with it, so I bought an OEM float valve and it stopped the overflowing. Anyway, I purchased a $38 carb on Amazon....

That sounds like a leaky float valve. It gets too much fuel when your gas valve is on but with the valve off the float bowl is at the correct level or lower it is running good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So update. Thanks to all who replied with your thoughts/ideas. I got the new carb yesterday and it runs perfect! A special thanks goes out to Deezil for posting the vid about the new carb. (y)
Now to the DMV :cautious:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
So ,another update. I went out and started the bike just a bit ago. Started on the 2nd kick, after 20 seconds, turned off the choke. It idled perfectly. I pushed it out of the garage and left it idling and went into the garage to get my helmet on and I heard the bike kinda hiccup. So I went over and gave it a bit of throttle and it's doing the same shit! :mad: I turned off the gas and it didn't change until the carb ran dry.

I've verified that the bike is an 87 not 89. 87/88 had some sort of CDI box issues? Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!! :(

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Have you examined the airbox and air filter for blockage dirt or holes in the filter? Examined the carb boots closely for proper alignment and tight fit with no air leaks? Pull the fuel line off the carb and watch for adequate fuel flow? You need to let it run into a gas can long enough to make sure the gas cap is properly venting.

It’s also possible that your new carb needs an air/fuel mixture screw adjustment.

Beyond that, I think you need to go through the service manual troubleshooting guide (especially the electrical section).

Good luck. Keep at it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Thanks Badger. It's not the carb or fuel flow issue. IDK if you've read the entire thread, but, I have issues finding a service manual, also. With that said, I read up on 87 tw 200 cdi issues. One guy described his issue exactly like mine. He replaced the cdi and no more trouble. But, an oem cdi is over $300! So, I found this on ebay. The plugs look the same, but, ya never know. Does anyone have any experience using a cheap aftermarket cdi like this? I mean for 14 bucks it's worth a try, me thinks. :unsure:

Sorry to hear that. Have you examined the airbox and air filter for blockage dirt or holes in the filter? Examined the carb boots closely for proper alignment and tight fit with no air leaks? Pull the fuel line off the carb and watch for adequate fuel flow? You need to let it run into a gas can long enough to make sure the gas cap is properly venting.

It’s also possible that your new carb needs an air/fuel mixture screw adjustment.

Beyond that, I think you need to go through the service manual troubleshooting guide (especially the electrical section).

Good luck. Keep at it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Waterloo???
I ordered the one from the link that I posted.....buuuuut, I didn't realize that it's coming from China and it's gonna be a month before I get it. :cautious:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Got a notice yesterday that due to the coronavirus, my cdi box order has been canceled. DOH! Any ideas where I can find another cheepo? The only ones I find on ebay are from China.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I believe the reason you're not receiving a response regarding the Chinese CDI, is that they either don't work for TW200's, or they don't work well enough for anyone here to endorse them. Here's some GOOD advice (again): Go to cdiparts.com (Waterloo Specialties) and order your CDI. It's going to work for you, and you're not going to have regrets or have to wait. Yes, it's going to cost you more, but how much more frustration are you willing to take? With one minute of work, you will have installed the correct CDI in your bike, and you'll never have to wonder again. When I went through this with my '87, I started with a new carb, and then purchased a new CDI. I'm glad I didn't have to experience the same duration of frustration that you're putting yourself through. The least expensive way is often the wrong way, especially with electronic parts. You're not the first frugal guy here - not by a long shot. If there was a good shortcut, you'd have likely already read about it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
OK. Thank you. If you noticed I asked "Waterloo?" I looked up waterloo, but, didn't find anything about cdi boxes. :unsure: I
I just looked them up and found what you were pointing me to. (y)

I believe the reason you're not receiving a response regarding the Chinese CDI, is that they either don't work for TW200's, or they don't work well enough for anyone here to endorse them. Here's some GOOD advice (again): Go to cdiparts.com (Waterloo Specialties) and order your CDI. It's going to work for you, and you're not going to have regrets or have to wait. Yes, it's going to cost you more, but how much more frustration are you willing to take? With one minute of work, you will have installed the correct CDI in your bike, and you'll never have to wonder again. When I went through this with my '87, I started with a new carb, and then purchased a new CDI. I'm glad I didn't have to experience the same duration of frustration that you're putting yourself through. The least expensive way is often the wrong way, especially with electronic parts. You're not the first frugal guy here - not by a long shot. If there was a good shortcut, you'd have likely already read about it.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts