TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tony!

Looks like you found a pretty nice TW. That is a popular color scheme that is sometimes referred to as the Black Widow version.

There is a wealth of TW information on this site. Do some reading, do some searching and let us know if you have any questions.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tony! You will enjoy that little bike. I think that is the best color combo of all the bikes since 87.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Tony! I saw that one on Craigslist yesterday. I figured someone would snatch it up quick, with what the other seller's up here are asking for their TW's. Love that paint scheme. If you get a wild hair, and want to set the bike up for longer rides, this is the place to be. I've rode my TW all over up here, and did most of the loop from Fairbanks to Paxson, across to Cantwell, and back home last summer. It's quite the capable little bike, and this website is flush with information on how to maintain and upgrade different stuff. Shoot me a pm if you have any questions, or if you are curious about any upgrades. I have a set of Protapers laying around that will fit it, and other parts and pieces that I've replaced over the past few years. I'm glad to see another TW owner on the site. There are plenty of people riding them up here, but I've not run into any here on the forum. If you happen to see a white 2009 with "JDOP" license plates, that's me.

·
Registered
821 Posts
A TW in Alaska. That's pretty awesome. Think about changing out that front tire though
if your on secondary roads. Cheap saddle bags will haul beer better than a front rack.
And you can ice 'em down! And haul more.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Welcome to the site Tony. From your picts it looks like you might need a new chain soon. Your snails are pretty advanced. Happy trails to you and your companion.

·
Super Moderator
5,317 Posts
Looking good — welcome to the board ………

Check the connectors and bulbs before spending out on a flasher unit (they are cheap enough anyway, but no sense in wasting money). Take your time looking for a side panel, sometimes they come up on the classifieds here, but she’ll run just fine without one until you can find a good deal. See if you can get a black one because that plastic is a pain to paint.

I notice that the box on the back seems to some sort of plate under it — be aware that Yamaha rate the rear area on the bike suitable for carrying only 3kg (7lbs), as it’s perched on the end of the sub-frame. Personally, I like that box — looks good on the bike — but you might want to consider putting a proper rack under it. There are plenty of suggestions on the site on what you have to choose from (but we all insist we have the best racks on our own bikes, so make up your own mind).

If you get stuck on the light cluster that’s missing (to the right of the speedo), send me a PM as I have a spare one here (free of charge). They are usually sold with the speedo, which puts the price through the roof. Besides, I’d love to see the look on the faces at the local post office when I send a package to North Pole Alaska.

Other than that — run her around for a bit and get used to it — then you can decide which of the numerous “farkles” you really need on your bike ………

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Looking good — welcome to the board ………

Check the connectors and bulbs before spending out on a flasher unit (they are cheap enough anyway, but no sense in wasting money). Take your time looking for a side panel, sometimes they come up on the classifieds here, but she’ll run just fine without one until you can find a good deal. See if you can get a black one because that plastic is a pain to paint.

I notice that the box on the back seems to some sort of plate under it — be aware that Yamaha rate the rear area on the bike suitable for carrying only 3kg (7lbs), as it’s perched on the end of the sub-frame. Personally, I like that box — looks good on the bike — but you might want to consider putting a proper rack under it. There are plenty of suggestions on the site on what you have to choose from (but we all insist we have the best racks on our own bikes, so make up your own mind).

If you get stuck on the light cluster that’s missing (to the right of the speedo), send me a PM as I have a spare one here (free of charge). They are usually sold with the speedo, which puts the price through the roof. Besides, I’d love to see the look on the faces at the local post office when I send a package to North Pole Alaska.

Other than that — run her around for a bit and get used to it — then you can decide which of the numerous “farkles” you really need on your bike ………
Purple thanks for the advice and kind words!

All of the bulbs currently work so the flasher unit is going to be my first attempt at fixing the blinker issue, any ideas where I would get one?

I like the rear box as well. The size of it stops me from putting too much wight on it and really I won't be carrying much more then a few tools, registration & insurance, and a couple of random things now and then. Since it is working the way it is I'm not going to mess with it unless there ever becomes an issue. I did just order a front rack for it for a little more area to strap things too if needed, plus I like the looks of them and it gives me another tie down point when I load it on my camper..

I wish I would have read this post about 3 hours ago, I just ordered a new light cluster for it and its on its way...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
A TW in Alaska. That's pretty awesome. Think about changing out that front tire though
if your on secondary roads. Cheap saddle bags will haul beer better than a front rack.
And you can ice 'em down! And haul more.
Thanks arbolmano!
I honestly thought the front tire seemed better than the rear? So far I have been pretty happy with the tires that are on it though.

Any suggestions or websites that you can point me too for some cheap saddle bags that will do the trick?

·
Super Moderator
5,317 Posts
The stock rear tire has a reputation as being “the mutts nuts”, equally at home on the road and the trail.

The stock front however, also has a reputation – we call it the “Death Wing”.

I understand that one of our members, zolar, seems to be quite fond of it – though we’re beginning to doubt his sanity
http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/15351-{video}-face-meet-ground.html

The Shinko 241 is currently favoured as a replacement ……………..

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about the front tire. If it's working for you, keep riding it. I haven't found a lot of stuff up here that it doesn't work in. Take that with a grain of salt, however - I also rode the terrible "Deathwing" that is installed on the front of a new DR650 without trouble either, all over Colorado. I just changed out my front for a Shinko 241. It's much smoother on the road, and seems to be holding its own offroad. Maybe I just don't ride hard enough.

As for bags, anything will do. Procycle has quite a bit of stuff on their site. I also order from Revzilla. They have everything you could probably ever want, and shipping is reasonable. I find that to be the biggest problem up here, finding someone who will ship without gouging us for it. I have the zippered-top Wolfman bags on mine, and they work well with the trashcan mod. Pelican case on the back like yours and a small tank bag up front and I can take off for days.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Saddlebags.

Cyclegear.com
Click accessories, then luggage, then saddlebags from the left panel. $99 bucks and up.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Super Moderator
5,317 Posts
Can’t help with the indicator unit – but here’s some advice ……..

Any “generic” 12v flasher unit will do, but check to see that it’s set to flash at the correct wattage of two indicator bulbs – too low a pull from a pair of bulbs and it won’t flash – too high a wattage and it’ll go off like crazy. So check the bulbs you have in there.

The earlier TW’s (the good ones like yours), had a stator/generator output at around mid thirties – post 2000 models had this upped to mid sixties. This means that the flasher unit has to match the existing bulbs. Not sure if they changed the flasher unit in 2000, so best to play it safe.

Watch out for electrical items from 1987 TW200’s – it was a bit of an odd-ball year, and had a different system.

If you can source a used one from Fleabay, try to get one from a TW200 (pre 2000). Makes the whole connector thing a lot easier. Otherwise use the place you got the light cluster from.

If you are searching Ebay, use the search term “TW200 flasher relay” …………..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well, I figured it had been a few days so I would update on where I'm at with the '89.

The turn flasher relay I ordered is supposed to show up at the end of the month, the front rack I ordered is supposed to be here by Friday, and the new Turn/High Beam/Neutral cover box just shipped today so I'm excitingly waiting for all of this to happen.

One thing I have noticed when riding around is it feels like the clutch is slipping a bit. I don't notice it so much when I'm not on it very hard, its more so when I'm going through the gears on the road.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts