TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all new here and have spent a lot of time combing through the threads to see if this has been covered but have yet to find anything so decided to post.
I recently was given a 1990 and it ran great when I got it. I rode it for about a week straight and then all of a sudden while riding it completely stopped. I pulled over and tried to start it using the electric starter but did not work. I eventually got it kick started and rode about a quarter mile where it died again and has not restarted. I also noticed that even after turning main switch to on I have no power. I checked the battery for voltage and it gave me 10.34 and water levels were good any other ideas. My father in law says these can run even without a battery but I'm not getting any kind of power all advice would be helpful thanks.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Will it run if you kick start it? How long was it sitting before you got it? Either way, you need a new battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK so start with battery and I'm unaware of how long it was sitting for. And no it won't start with a kick either I attempted that this morning

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Did you check your spark plug? While you have the plug out, put the wire on it and have someone hold it to the head while you kick it to see if you have spark.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'd check the cursed kick stand safety switch. It loves to cause drama and can get jarred enough when riding to kill the bike. If you have good spark that would be my next step.

Even em with a dead battery you should be able to kick start it, I've had kick only bikes with no battery.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Make sure bike is in neutral when you try to start it. Having clutch lever in is not enough to let motor spin as freely as it needs to generate adequate spark to start. It all comes down to fuel and spark. Check them both. You can use an old fashioned timing light to see if you are getting spark, or do the spark plug against the block routine. Check that plug to see that its moist (i.e. getting gas to the cylinder). I'd bet its a bad connection or wire and you are coming up short for adequate juice to fire it. Patience is a virtue. Tom

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Take the kill switch apart and make sure the contacts are clean and functioning. Under the headlight there is a rats nest of wire connectors inside black rubber boots. Make sure all plastic junctions are fully connected and the contacts are clean in each. A loss of contact in one of those plastic connectors will cause the symptoms your describe, ask me how I know! If your battery is good and you turn the key to on the headlight and front blinkers should come on. If they don't then you have a bad connection. There is also a 10 amp fuse in the right side cover electrical box, check it.

GaryL

·
Registered
921 Posts
Don't just "look" at the fuse. Check it with a continuity tester. Try to pull it apart. I have seen them to look and test ok but fall apart from corrosion when pulled. ALL electrical components can be either GOOD, BAD, or almost BAD. Its the 3rd category that's the problem.

In this case, if you have spark, I bet the gas filter screens in the tank are plugged plus, god knows what, in the carb. Clean, clean, clean.

·
Registered
684 Posts
There is a wire under the seat that came unplugged on my 91 and it will not run. It had been hard to start before it quit running. After plugging the wire back in it starts on first or second kick. It does not need a battery to run.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts