TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am having a really frustrating thing with my tw, it's a 1990, I have to have my clutch in other wise it won't start, if I have my kick stand up and in neutral and clutch engaged and it will start just fine, I can release the clutch and will still be running, but if I put the kick stand down while in neutral it dies. And the neutral light at the handle bars don't light up anymore either! Any ideas what this could be? Any help would be much appreciated. I know that when in gear you can't put the kickstand down other wise it dies, but why while in neutral

·
Registered
100 Posts
The bike has 3 switches that are for safety concerns. Kickstand/Clutch lever/Neutral. It sounds like your kickstand switch is bad or maybe has come loose of it normal spot.
The circuit is broken and no start.

I have a TW it sometimes dies when I put the stand up, not always, I just put it down and back up and it goes.
Now my XR650L had a hard start problem for 10 years, I came upon a YouTube video of my exact problem. Now the baby starts every time without trouble.
It has a weird wiring issue and it won't start if cold, well maybe after 5 minutes of trying and the battery is almost dead. Well, NW Adventurer had the answer.
He shows it on his video, if you put the stand up, it fires right up, stand down, it won't start.
The bike is very tall and I have always started it after getting my gear on. I've had trouble since buying it in 02, I would stand there and crank on it til hell froze over, no start or it would back fire like a bomb just went off.
Now I choke it half way put the stand up hit the button and she purrs to life. Put the stand down and get my gear on while it warms up.
Yeah, I can work with that.
VDR

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Hello and welcome Brad! Will it start with the stand down with the clutch engaged? How about with the stand up with the clutch disengaged in neutral? It sounds like you might have a neutral safety switch issue, check your wiring. There are a couple of threads on here regarding the neutral safety switch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi thank you! And thanks for the quick reply! Sorry I took so long to write back I had to work late, so my tw will not start at all if the kick stand is down, not even with the clutch engaged, and my neutral light does not turn on any more when in neutral, you think it's the neutral safety switch? Where is that located at exactly? I have the service manual but can't tell where it's at I don't see it in my bike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will start every time if clutch is engaged and kickstand is up but if I put the kickstand down it kills the bike even with clutch engaged

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been messing with the bike trying to figure this thing out, when the Stand is up and I squeeze the clutch I can hear the starting circuit cut off relay switch ticking, is that normal? It does not tick if the stand is down

·
Super Moderator
17,647 Posts
Brad, it would be best if we waited for other members to pipe in. I removed all the safety switches a few years ago and I can't remember now. I think the answers are in the main shop manual for testing though. Have you downloaded those? They are free, in the Technical section. Go to the Technical help section, click on the first thing you see which is Technical Write-Ups. You will find both owners manual and the main shop manual.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, thank you, I'll wait for others, I just wanna figure this thing out, it's frustrating, I know it's gotta be one of these safety switches, I just gotta find out which one, thanks for your help, I appreciate it

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Where are you from? Have you downloaded the service manual? I'm pretty sure there is a troubleshooting guide for the neutral safety switch in there.

·
Super Moderator
4,732 Posts
Rbm — I spent some time earlier today looking at the service manuals — all it says it test it — repair or replace — not enough detail to go from to recommend the OP looks at them.

Brad — you could try some simple things: For this you will need some WD40, and a paperclip.

The WD40 is for the block connectors — find every one you can, take it apart, spray it, and put it back together. Because if any of them are corroded and not making a connection, it may be where the problem lies. The wiring diagrams are as mad as a box of frogs — might as well do all the connectors just for luck. Make sure the worst of the WD40 has dried off before putting juice across it, about 15 to 20 mins to let it settle down should do her.

Next up is that paperclip: Look at the top of the side stand and you should see a couple of wires — that’s your cut-out — two wires. I “think” that the switch bit they are connected to breaks the connection between the two wires to put it in the “run” position, and makes the circuit between the wires when the stand is down — doesn’t matter — this is safe to try either way around. Jump the wires with the paper clip and see what happens.

No result ? — no problem — repeat the paper clip trick on the clutch lever wires.

If that doesn’t do it — get back here and we’ll sort that “box of frogs” out for you regarding the neutral switch ……..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok thanks purple! I'll try this today and I'll let you know what happens, thanks for your help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I figured it out! This might sound weird but when I sat down on the seat with all my body weight the neutral light would come on and I would hear a click, I would get off and click, after hours of messing with plugs and wires I noticed a wire pinched between the rear shock that ran down the left side to the neutral switch, I pulled the wire and felt it and it broke off! So I cut it and butt connected it back and it's fixed! Something so simple but was a pain in the butt to find! Thank you all for all your help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea! I do t know how the wire got between the rear shock, just enough play in wire to do so I guess

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Yea! I do t know how the wire got between the rear shock, just enough play in wire to do so I guess
You figured this out before I returned from a vacation, but should you need some "hands on" help in the future let me know. I work in Boise so could always take a look.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Remember, a 1990 TW is 25 years old. Everything gets dirty and worn. Sometimes things fall off or change position. Personally, my muffler bolts keep getting loose. So, I check them ALL THE TIME. I also often find loose, worn, and brittle wires on my 1995 TW. You just have to watch for that stuff.

Oh, and I disconnected that damned kickstand kill switch years ago!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts