TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw one on marketplace for $2500 I'm thinking of negotiating him down somewhere, to the 2k or some trade range. I really want a tw200 but they never seem to pop up,wondering if it's a decent deal has 12k miles on it. I used to ride a cb750 did around 30k miles in the US on that so not looking for power, just something to get to 60 to get to town and that I could use on local trails/fire roads.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9 Posts
I saw one on marketplace for $2500 I'm thinking of negotiating him down somewhere, to the 2k or some trade range. I really want a tw200 but they never seem to pop up,wondering if it's a decent deal has 12k miles on it. I used to ride a cb750 did around 30k miles in the US on that so not looking for power, just something to get to 60 to get to town and that I could use on local trails/fire roads.

Thanks in advance
I had a 94 DR250SE it was a great bike traded it and have regretted it ever since. I would say depending on mileage and maintenance records and condition it could be in the 2500 range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Brian. That's actually super close to me is probably the same one I heard of. Do you guys think it's a deal I should jump on or should I patiently wait until febuary when people are selling TWs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Brian. That's actually super close to me is probably the same one I heard of. Do you guys think it's a deal I should jump on or should I patiently wait until febuary when people are selling TWs?
Small edit, the guy whose selling the bike (who i've talked to via email) is in College so I'm slightly worried about him doing all the work on the bike but if it's pretty simple maybe I shouldn't.

·
Registered
13,898 Posts
One thing to consider when buying an older bike is parts availability. I don't know how long the production run was on DR250's nor if they share common parts with newer Suzuki's. Very few motorcycles have a production run as long as the TW which is why most parts are easy to come by.
I own a couple of vintage or older motorcycles. An 83 Yamaha XT200 and 89 Yamaha XT350. The XT200's engine is the same as a TW 'sept for the transmission so engine parts are available. Electrical on the XT200 is another matter. The XT200 is a 6-volt system and finding some electrical stuff is difficult. Here again, the XT350 had a short production run. For instance, I can't order plastic side covers I'm missing because they are no longer available. Haven't found a set on eBay either. Another example. I can find internal carb parts ok but not a whole carb assembly...at a reasonable price. New carb is no longer available. Double trouble is the XT350 has a unique dual-ish carb setup. Can't just find any old single carb to replace it. Thankfully, I've been able to repair/replace the carb components and it runs great now.

So, this is just a word to the wise to be careful when buying something fairly old. Do some homework for future parts availability.

Reactions: Xracer
1 - 6 of 6 Posts