TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Can I use a post 2000 carb on a pre 2000 bike? If so are there any modifications needed? thanks
Yes. You will need the manifold joint and the rubber air box boot from the 2001 and newer TW for a seamless fit.

jb

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, Thanks good to know if cleaning the old one does not work, Just picked this bike up the other day, definatley not getting enough fuel to run, it wants to start but barely. alot of knowledge on this forum. thanks again,

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts
Try to get the old one working - in addition to the above (which are expensive from new) - you will find the cables leading in from the wrong side. The cable situation is an easy work around. The flat slider on the older models was superior in my opinion .....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it running cleaned carb and tank, It will Idle with the choke pulled out but that is it. I am going to order a rebuild kit and try that. If I was to buy the new 2001+ carb is there any extra hoses or ports I would need to plug? Seems like I read that some where. thanks again

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the manifold boot I have seen on ebay and amazon are listed to fit 1987 to 2017 and appear to be the same as the one I have. And I see no air box boots any where un less you buy the whole box which looks to be the same

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I got my boots from Partzilla. The boot on the engine side has a small nozzle that needs to be capped or plugged.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
There is no benefit at all by going from the old style carb to the newer style. Carbs is Carbs and one is no better or worse than the other. You said you have it cleaned but you do not say if you replaced the usual suspects inside of it so it will run right. The float valve and seat are the most common of issues IMO. Unless the jets are crudded up from nasty fuel corroding them there is usually not much reason to replace them. Check the enriching diaphragm to make sure the piston is moving freely and soak the stripped body in either Berrymans carb cleaner or run it through numerous cycles in an ultrasonic cleaner with some Pinesol. The boot from the air box to the carb is another of the usual suspects because they shrink and get very hard so they no longer form a tight seal. Any air leakage there can and will cause problems. Just buy a new boot and make absolutely sure the seal is air tight. The real problem with swapping from the old to the new carb is the diameter of the carb intake and engine side are different so you must change the boots to fit the new carb and then reroute the throttle cables. Not worth the trouble or expense IMO. A 2000 TW against a 2001 TW with their respective different carbs both correctly tuned do not run any better than each other so you get nothing by going to the newer carb.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks, the reason I am thinking of going new is so I can take my inexperience in carburetor rebuilding out of the equation . my carb when I cleaned it was very dirty and dont think it will clean up

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
thanks, the reason I am thinking of going new is so I can take my inexperience in carburetor rebuilding out of the equation . my carb when I cleaned it was very dirty and dont think it will clean up
Yes Mike, I do understand. Here is simply my opinion for what it is worth. Some here have used these cheap knock off Chinese carbs and had good success while others have not. I guess you get what you pay for. You can still by a brand new OEM carb either old or new style direct from a Yamaha parts supplier such as the links I just posted. They are a bit pricey but you get the real deal and they are just a simple drop in and go. Here, https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/2JY-14301-03-00?ref=03bf3f771c90615bbffe446b9dec14c61a753a46. You still should get the new boot here, https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/2JX-14453-00-00?ref=bd6b5b70f92e2f59d35e77958d7e5ce937a6387e.
What seems to ring quite true here is there are many who really enjoy messing around with wrenching and tinkering and just as many who want to just go ride and not get too involved in repairs. I can take these carbs apart with my eyes closed yet many others find them way too intricate. Do as you please but only the original stock carb is a simple fix for your issue and any other cheaper carbs come with another set of issues to overcome. If you go for the new OEM one then let us know and we will direct you regarding setting the pilot screw adjustment before you install it. I can't stress how important it will be to change the rubber boot that is hard and shrunken.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
One other thing regarding the boots. More often than not the one on the cylinder side is still good. It is the one on the airbox side that gets hard and shrinks. You can remove the one on the engine side and inspect it to determine if it is cracking or buggered up before you spend the $$. The carbs and the boots are all the same, 1987-2000 are all the old style and 2001-present are all the new style and both are very different so you just can't mix and match.

GaryL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So If I understand correctly, you are saying if I get a new style carburetor I need both new style boots? remembering this is on a 1992 bike. Thank you so very much for your time

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
So If I understand correctly, you are saying if I get a new style carburetor I need both new style boots? remembering this is on a 1992 bike. Thank you so very much for your time
Yes! It makes no sense unless the boot joint on your cylinder is shot which I doubt. A new carb, either old or new style is $304 from Partzilla. The new carb boot joints for both sides will cost another $53 so about $357 to switch to the new plus shipping. If your cylinder boot joint is still good then the old style carb is $304 plus $25 for the air box boot so $329 total plus shipping. Tell me if you can why you seem set on switching to the new style carb rather than just getting a new old style one?

GaryL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The reason is that I can not afford a 300 dollar carb. and the only chinese ones available are the post 2000 ones.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just want to get this bike running, never ridden a tw before looks like fun and could go about anywhere

1 - 20 of 35 Posts