TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall. Got a 94 with stock chain and sprockets. Seems like when you turn to the side and gas it that it slips. Kind of like chain slipping not really a clutch sound but sounds like chain or front sprocket. Any ideas would really help

·
Registered
815 Posts
My guess is that you're missing a few teeth...probably on the FRONT sprocket. Either that or it's in really bad shape.

Don't run it any longer until you can have a look at it.

You can see the front sprocket without having to remove the engine casing. Feel the teeth...if you can cut yourself on them, they're worn!

Normal sprocket teeth are dull and thick. Worn teeth get pointy with sharp edges. Check the play in the chain at the rear sprocket...I suspect that ALL three probably need replacing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea i am pretty sure that it needs them all changed. What is better. I am mainly going offroad and some back roads in between. Dont want it too low geared. What about a 15/50 setup

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
If you want only off road I'd say 14/55, but I like the torque. Stock 14/50 should be fine for you if you want to go mainly off road. With the 14/55 setup you can go 55 mph, but it purrs at 35-40. It all depends on where you ride and what you ride on. If you are only on gravel roads, then the 14/50 will be great, but for a combo of gravel roads and some nasty roads, I prefer the 14/55.

Oh, and if you have a 94 with stock sprockets and chain, its time to get new sprockets and chain no questions asked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts