TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering going to look at a 1996 with 530 miles on it. Second owner says he bought it at 300 miles. He says everything is basically brand new and that he's done the maintenance on it. I do like the idea of the kickstarter.

What should I be looking out for on bike this old? I have thought that the fluids in carb/engine, etc. could be a problem but it sounds like he's been running it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I bought a 96. 2 1/2 years ago with 580 miles on it. It had been in dry storage for a long time. Plan on replacing fork seals & fork boots, lubing or replacing brake, clutch, and throttle cables. Complete carb rebuild. Clean gas tank and new petcock. Possibly replace carb boots. Rear shock might go bad. Might have engine gaskets and seals leaking which will need to be replaced.These are expected maintenance things with a bike that has had little use. Rubber dries out and fails. BTW, mine looked great but still needed a lot of things done to make it road and trail ready.
Hope it works out for you. Low mileage bikes usually are a good find.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I bought a 96. 2 1/2 years ago with 580 miles on it. It had been in dry storage for a long time. Plan on replacing fork seals & fork boots, lubing or replacing brake, clutch, and throttle cables. Complete carb rebuild. Clean gas tank and new petcock. Possibly replace carb boots. Rear shock might go bad. Might have engine gaskets and seals leaking which will need to be replaced.These are expected maintenance things with a bike that has had little use. Rubber dries out and fails. BTW, mine looked great but still needed a lot of things done to make it road and trail ready.
Hope it works out for you. Low mileage bikes usually are a good find.
I have a 1993, the base gasket will probably leak. Mine leaked about 10 years before I finally changed it. I just watched the oil level, it was a seepage.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
K. Thanks guys. That's why I asked and suspected some things along those lines. That's alot of extra work/time/expense to keep in mind.
Time maybe, expense should be minimal. It just depends what you have more of, time or money. If he's been riding it everything should be minimal. Carb may need no work at all. Like suggested above probably lubricating cables, lubricating brake pivot points, etc. Stock chain will last you a while but keep it well lubed. Once the chain stretches out to the max limit after a few thousand miles or more, replace it before it wears out your sprockets. It only matters what works out and is best for you.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I would probably change the oil and clean or replace the filter..... lube an adjust the chain...if necessary..... and ride it if it can be ridden..... it will tell you if anything else needs to be done.....

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
530 miles. What maintenence could he have possibly done? I would buy it the price is right for you. Fresh gas, clean oil, clean filter with WD 40. Lube chain well. Lube cables well. Go from there. I agree a rusted tank is a pain, but use it as an excuse to get a an ill fitting and bad looking Clark tank. You may just a have a low mileage turn key bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you can buy clear (non-ethanol) gas, I highly recommend using it. I bought a super-low mile, unused XT225 10 years ago. It ran like crap, but all it really needed was clear gas. Now I run clear in all my bikes, except when I cannot find it (like in California). Check out Pure-gas.org to find stations near wherever you may be.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
If the tank is rusted just clean it and treat it. I used a Kreem tank liner kit. My tank is spotless. Cleaning and coating the tank is a real pain but it is well worth the effort. I have done one carburetor overhaul in 48,000 miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts