TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know....this thread should appear in the CLASSIFIEDS. My buddy came across this ad on Easter and sent it my way. It's only three days old, as of today. I just wanted to put it in GENERAL DISCUSSION for better exposure. This is cheap enough to get the people who were'nt thinking of buying another bike thinking about it. It's not a garage queen, but sounds like a runner!

1996 Yamaha TW 2oo On/OFF Road bike - $700

1996 Yamaha TW 2oo On/OFF Road bike

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I know, I know....this thread should appear in the CLASSIFIEDS. My buddy came across this ad on Easter and sent it my way. It's only three days old, as of today. I just wanted to put it in GENERAL DISCUSSION for better exposure. This is cheap enough to get the people who were'nt thinking of buying another bike thinking about it. It's not a garage queen, but sounds like a runner!

1996 Yamaha TW 2oo On/OFF Road bike - $700

1996 Yamaha TW 2oo On/OFF Road bike
Yeah and he even say's to "shoot him an offer". That means to me, if you had 6bills in hand, person to person or maybe even 5, you could load it up and take it home, especially after you nit pic over it and find more things needing attention. They don't come along cheap very often.

50Short- go git it!!
He's gonna go lower!!

Reactions: 50short

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
I would be all over this bike if it were nearby!

First off, it is mis-posted as a TW 2oo and not a TW 200 so it may be below the radar of people searching for a TW200 or TW 200. This means that the guy may not have received much response to his ad.

Second, he admits that it need some work, i.e., sprocket, battery, registration.

Third, he says that he needs it gone ASAP.

This is the perfect recipe for a lowball offer. Depending upon the actual condition of the bike, someone could drive off with this bike for $250-400.00. I wish it could be me!

Brian

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm seriously thinking about it just to have around as a spare! Wife would kill me though

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Keep it if you can, if she get's mad, part it out, make some money (more than you paid for sure), buy her something nice and all will be forgiven. ;)

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Deal Or No Deal---- Condition makes all the difference. This is exactly what I did last November when I got my 88 project. The guy wanted $700 and I got it for $500 plus the hundred dollar road trip.

So here is the deal as honestly as I can say it. At $500 if the wheels, forks, swing arm, engine and carb are OK with a little work and the bike has papers you can't possibly loose. Part it out right here and make some $$$.

The flip side is to make it a running and road worthy bike and this is where the real condition really comes in to play. Plan on right around $400 just putting tires, tubes, both sprockets plus the seals and gasket and a good chain on it. If it needs a tank or a brand new carb add another $400. Then you can start with all the other stuff that could need attention. Needs some plastic or electrical parts to make it road worthy and pass inspection and in no time you can have $1500 + involved in a cheap bike that may only be worth what you put in to it minus all your labor. Also remember most states will charge you taxes and title fees when you get it registered in your name so the title is legit and you can sell it without issues.

I can tell you from the experience I have with my 88 I would be far ahead to have just parted it out and made a couple hundred rather than to bring it back to a useful life. I will be a staunch advocate to always tell any members to buy a good running, well maintained and not beat TW for a little more if you plan to keep it. When you go in to a project such as what I did you are in for a rude awakening as you begin the process of rebuilding a hard ridden TW. All the nickle and dime stuff starts adding up quick if you want a bike that is dependable enough to let your wife or kids drive. I have all the receipts for every penny I have spent just getting my project up and running so it can pass my state inspection and be worthy enough for me to take it out on the road for an enjoyable day trip. I won't ride a bike that is subject to brake down at any time or has questionable safety factors needing immediate attention. My 88 is finally ready for me to go for a ride but it is also still a very ugly duck on top of an almost brand new sub frame. To bring it to the next level and do the complete ground up restoration with fresh paint and a new tank and seat will easily cost me another $500 and take most of next winter to strip it all down do the face lift. Then you have to ask yourself the all important question, What is an almost prefect 1988 TW with 1900 miles on it really worth? I will bet the collective here would give numbers far less than what I actually will have in it. And that is just the way it is! Find an 88 or 96 TW that is road ready with just some simple maintenance that looks pretty decent and pay the man $1500 or what ever and just go riding unless you are like me and have to rescue sad bikes and always have a project or three in the shop to keep you busy.

GaryL

Reactions: R100RT

·
Registered
52 Posts
Deal Or No Deal---- Condition makes all the difference. This is exactly what I did last November when I got my 88 project. The guy wanted $700 and I got it for $500 plus the hundred dollar road trip.

So here is the deal as honestly as I can say it. At $500 if the wheels, forks, swing arm, engine and carb are OK with a little work and the bike has papers you can't possibly loose. Part it out right here and make some $$$.

The flip side is to make it a running and road worthy bike and this is where the real condition really comes in to play. Plan on right around $400 just putting tires, tubes, both sprockets plus the seals and gasket and a good chain on it. If it needs a tank or a brand new carb add another $400. Then you can start with all the other stuff that could need attention. Needs some plastic or electrical parts to make it road worthy and pass inspection and in no time you can have $1500 + involved in a cheap bike that may only be worth what you put in to it minus all your labor. Also remember most states will charge you taxes and title fees when you get it registered in your name so the title is legit and you can sell it without issues.

I can tell you from the experience I have with my 88 I would be far ahead to have just parted it out and made a couple hundred rather than to bring it back to a useful life. I will be a staunch advocate to always tell any members to buy a good running, well maintained and not beat TW for a little more if you plan to keep it. When you go in to a project such as what I did you are in for a rude awakening as you begin the process of rebuilding a hard ridden TW. All the nickle and dime stuff starts adding up quick if you want a bike that is dependable enough to let your wife or kids drive. I have all the receipts for every penny I have spent just getting my project up and running so it can pass my state inspection and be worthy enough for me to take it out on the road for an enjoyable day trip. I won't ride a bike that is subject to brake down at any time or has questionable safety factors needing immediate attention. My 88 is finally ready for me to go for a ride but it is also still a very ugly duck on top of an almost brand new sub frame. To bring it to the next level and do the complete ground up restoration with fresh paint and a new tank and seat will easily cost me another $500 and take most of next winter to strip it all down do the face lift. Then you have to ask yourself the all important question, What is an almost prefect 1988 TW with 1900 miles on it really worth? I will bet the collective here would give numbers far less than what I actually will have in it. And that is just the way it is! Find an 88 or 96 TW that is road ready with just some simple maintenance that looks pretty decent and pay the man $1500 or what ever and just go riding unless you are like me and have to rescue sad bikes and always have a project or three in the shop to keep you busy.

GaryL
So true..........sometimes FREE is too much.

I got a bike for free once, $1300 later it was worth $800 LOL.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
That's funny. I once got a perfectly good TW for 1600 bucks, then, I found this site. Now I have a 3500 buck bike and its worth about 2 grand. ;)

Reactions: 50short

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
So true..........sometimes FREE is too much.

I got a bike for free once, $1300 later it was worth $800 LOL.
BEEN THERE! :eek:

It was a boat and after spending too much I had to pay to have it carted away! They claim you can't fix Stupid but hopefully we learn along the way. I've been learning for 62 years:(

GaryL

·
Registered
182 Posts
Funny I came across this thread now that I am a TW owner, and member of this site! Long story short I bought this TW being talked about. I saw it around 11pm so I waited till morning to call him, left a message then sent a few texts hoping for a faster reply, it worked. I met up with him after work, he was about 40 miles from me. The bike was filthy, he was 18 lived on a dairy farm and worked on a hog farm. Any ways it ran decent shifted through all the gears, and stopped( eventually). He spray painted it black and had put a graphics wrap on it but already taken it off, so it had sticky everywhere, and it was a 92 not 96. I was fine with that because the very first bike I rode was a 92 or 93. The rear right part of the fender was broke, broken throttle tube, clutch lever, wasted front tire, ripped seat, and worn brakes(I thought).
He was a real nice kid, he even asked me if I thought the price was fair. I gave him $ 650 for it, he didn't have the title on him, but he got it to me in about two weeks.
New seat cover-$40
Front tire, tube $90 love Dennis Kirk!
Battery $27 shipped !
Tool kit $25 shipped
$45 new throttle tube, grips, and levers
Brakes $25. Didn't need, just forgot how bad drums are.
$25 new oil filter, oil, fork oil.
$20 worth of brake cleaner to get the spray paint off.

Ended up being a good deal I think, but my labor is free. It took about two weeks to fix her up, but I love the bike!! Still could use new steering head bearing $40, and some clutch work, but it runs and drives good!! I will try and put a before and after pic up.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I am glad you bought this. I had to sit on my fingers, just waiting for it to go. Sounds like you have a good handle on things, and your off on your adventure. There are a few MN-Dubs out here. A few of us in the metro area, or not too far away. We'll have to get together for a ride sometime.

Welcome to the addiction. Lot's of help around here and a friendly group. Enjoy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Great story, great pictures, hell of a good deal and welcome aboard!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks all glad to be Dubbin!! I wish I would have known about this site when I was fixing it up. I still need to put a steering head bearing and new clutch plates in it so this site will be very useful to me then. Also I have seen performance carb kits for fairly cheap online that promise a noticeable change in torque. Does anybody have one? Nothing wrong with the carb on it now but more get up is always good. In fact almost 20 years ago when I rode my best friends TW also my first motorcycle ever, I thought it was the greatest thing ever.. Tons of power, mono shock suspension, big fat rear tire we would spin through first and second gear on a gravel road. Then I bought my first bike a 1982 Kawasaki KE100, I loved it but the TW was still on a pedestool. As long as I clear my head before I ride it and not think about my Z1000 or Gas Gas 250 two stroke to compare it to, the TW is awesome! Tires humming as I'm lane surfing at a steady 55mph, maybe 65mph if there is a tail wind. In fact I wasn't planning on getting a TW I was actually looking for a newer street legal 2Stroke dirt bike( the come up now and again). And saw the TW and nastalgia took over. I bought it the Friday before Easter, so it was already in my garage when the post started on this bike, but the kid never took it off Craig's list so he must not of been getting too much interest in the bike, I think it's still on there actually.
I already had a 2006 Dr200 in great shape with low miles and it was faster, smoother, and stopped way better., but it wasn't cool like the TW. So the suzuki got booted, Went to a good home. A dad bought it for his 15 year old son who had the same look as I did about the TW. So everything worked out.
I forgot to mention in my earlier post.
$25 new fork gaiters
$10 hi-temp paint for the exhaust
$0 valve adjustment(sounds much happier now)
?$100 for new steering head bearing and clutch plates, but I'm going to wait till winter.
So my $650 bike is going to be more like a $1100 bike.. But I love it!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Congrats on your new bike! If you are planning on replacing the steering head bearings, consider upgrading to a tapered bearing set up. All Balls sells a set and i couldn't be happier with mine. Also, consider going to the North Central Russ Rally in September.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts