TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
In the near future I may have a chance to buy a 1997 TW200 for a $1000.00. It's in decent shape, good tires, no dents, runs good, 6500 miles. Would this be considered a fair price? TW200s in my area are few and far between. My plan was to take the kickstarter "stuff" from the 97 and put it into my 2013 TW and then resell the 97. What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would buy it right now....cause where I live that bike would be at least 1500+ I have been looking for another tw and any priced in that range are not very good. I saw a 88 come up it was 1695.00 It was ok but not 1695 ok, I paid 1500 for my 87 it is nice and only 1300 miles when I got it and I think I paid all it was worth and a few$$ extra...but what can I say got bit by the t-dub bug and had to have it.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Buy it. Resale it at enough profit to buy a new kick starter kit.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Decent price if the bike is good! Bad idea to Rob the kicker from one to add to the other. As said above, buy it, flip it and buy a new kick start for around $200. You will only need to open one engine and do that job one time.

GaryL

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice everyone. If this deal does happen, I think I'll follow GaryL's advice and resell it to buy the new kickstarter. Or, maybe I'll just keep it. :D

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. If this deal does happen, I think I'll follow GaryL's advice and resell it to buy the new kickstarter. Or, maybe I'll just keep it. :D
Now you are talking my language! Buy the bike, fix it up, buy a kicker for your bike and then go have some fun with a pal or if this is in your program, find a nice gal that you can teach to ride a MC on the best bike a gal could ever ask for. You could be a winner in more ways than one!

GaryL

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The opportunity came up and I bought it! It is a 96, not a 97 like I originally thought. Everything is in good working order and he came down to $950.00.

tw1.JPG tw2.JPG

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Good Buy!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The opportunity came up and I bought it! It is a 96, not a 97 like I originally thought. Everything is in good working order and he came down to $950.00.

View attachment 3668 View attachment 3669
Good deal and it does look in nice shape! Now you have to get it all rigged up and hope you can make the ride we are planning for the Catskills in June, info is in the Ride/Adventure section here.

As for the tires looking good, don't be deceived by good looks. If they are original stock tires then they are a danger to you on pavement being the rubber is hard as a rock and pretty much useless. I have a set here from 1991 with only 800 miles and I would only give them to an Enemy but they do look great. Spend the $150 and get fresh rubber.

GaryL

·
Registered
925 Posts
Yep, that's a fine '96. Worth $1,500 to $2k any day if it needs nothing.

My $750 '98 needed very little, however, I have spent the equivalent of 15+ "shop hours" cleaning it up, fixing PO's mistakes, replacing lost nuts and bolts, etc. Plus, it wasn't running. I had to figure out WHY? (actually, it was simple, but that's not the point) -- all of which added to its "COST". If you can just ride your '96 with almost no added time or cost. Great Deal!

Oh, by the way. Is that the MC jack you recommend? :D

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, by the way. Is that the MC jack you recommend? :D
That jack came from HB. It has worked well with no issues. It's great being able to pick up your bike and wheel it around if needed.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
That jack came from HB. It has worked well with no issues. It's great being able to pick up your bike and wheel it around if needed.
Did you mean HF as in Harbor Freight?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes HB=Harbor Freight, seller of imported stuff, some of which is actually fair quality.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Looks like you swung a great deal!. Anything the bike needs, or is it ready to go after a good cleaning?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts