TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. Just picked up a 1999 TW and I have a question about the stator. From my reading it seems that the pre 2001 have a lower watt headlight (35w) and a lower output stator. Is it possible to simply switch to the 2001 stator in the 1999? Do I also have to change the rectifier? I ask because I want to run additional lights and chargers etc and I don't want to over load the system. Yes, I am also switching to LED lights but from what I have researched even LED headlights take at least 30w and many are in the 40 - 50w range as stated on the sellers (and mfg) site so there won't be any savings there and could actually be additional draw. That is why I want to upgrade the stator.

Thanks.

Hazcat

·
Registered
87 Posts
Howdy. Just picked up a 1999 TW and I have a question about the stator. From my reading it seems that the pre 2001 have a lower watt headlight (35w) and a lower output stator. Is it possible to simply switch to the 2001 stator in the 1999? Do I also have to change the rectifier? I ask because I want to run additional lights and chargers etc and I don't want to over load the system. Yes, I am also switching to LED lights but from what I have researched even LED headlights take at least 30w and many are in the 40 - 50w range as stated on the sellers (and mfg) site so there won't be any savings there and could actually be additional draw. That is why I want to upgrade the stator.

Thanks.

Hazcat
Can't help you, but wanted to say hello (I am C l v r s w i n e on YT). If I recall, we chatted a bit and you're in St. Pete?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't help you, but wanted to say hello (I am C l v r s w i n e on YT). If I recall, we chatted a bit and you're in St. Pete?
Smart pig, Yes we have BS'd before :) Picked up (finally) the 1999 TW I bought. 4500 miles on it. Tires are age cracked! Working on it now. New tires (241 front), chain, pegs (it still had OEM), new bars, skid plate, LOTS of stuff to do.

I will be getting a reading of output (have a couple of engineers available) and will post results.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Smart pig, Yes we have BS'd before :) Picked up (finally) the 1999 TW I bought. 4500 miles on it. Tires are age cracked! Working on it now. New tires (241 front), chain, pegs (it still had OEM), new bars, skid plate, LOTS of stuff to do.

I will be getting a reading of output (have a couple of engineers available) and will post results.
I didn't know what a stator was and I was thinking "this dude spelled starter wrong"... but then I saw it was you! I looked up "stator", so I learned something at least. Maybe re-title the original post to "headlight electric" question and someone may bite? - Eric

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't know what a stator was and I was thinking "this dude spelled starter wrong"... but then I saw it was you! I looked up "stator", so I learned something at least. Maybe re-title the original post to "headlight electric" question and someone may bite? - Eric
You give me too much credit for spelling :) I have eliminated the kick stand (side stand) switch so I can start it in any condition. I really dislike 'safety' items that can also cause you grief when they fail. Haven't got the output readings yet But I will. Still doing basic maintenance stuff right now. Oil / filter change, air filter, tires, new chain, skid plate and on and on. All the things we usually upgrade.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yes, you can swap the stator. I'm not sure if you have to also swap the rectifier/regulator. I did (and also some wiring), but that was on my '87 which had a single phase (vs. the later 3 phase) stator.

Reactions: Hazcat
1 - 7 of 7 Posts