TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have the bike jacked up and the front wheel off. The triple tree movement seems smooth and there is no bearing shake but ... It seems to 'self center'.

What I mean is there seems to be a slight, intentional 'stop' when the bars are centered and about 1/4 of the arc to each side.

I'll try explain better. If the complete function of the bars runs through a 90 degree arc with 0 being the center (straight) and each end (full lock left and right) being 45 degrees then there are 'hesitations' at 0 and 22.5 (on each side). As I said it is smooth and feels like these 'hesitation' points are intentional.

Question: Are they intentional? Is this 'normal'?

·
Registered
2021 TW
335 Posts
No, not intentional or normal. Should be smooth with no notches or roughness.
Your gonna need to inspect the bearings to see if they need cleaning and re- grease. Or if the bearings and races need replacing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, not intentional or normal. Should be smooth with no notches or roughness.
Your gonna need to inspect the bearings to see if they need cleaning and re- grease. Or if the bearings and races need replacing.
Thanks. I kinda figured that. Ordered the races and bearings. What the heck, I have the wheel off and I'm gonna change the bars so no big deal to pull the triple tree and replace the bearings at this time. Went with All Ball bearings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I figured it was borked but though I have ridden for a long time and have never heard of such a thing (intentional stops) before TWs are sorta a world unto their own so I figured I'd check.

BTW anyone know of a longer shifter lever (foot)? My clod hopper feet don't fit that little one on the bike. I picked up an IMS but it is only maybe an inch longer at best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts