TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As September will soon be upon us, my brother and I will be touring south this year for our annual trip. As we don't quite have a long enough 'pass' to go as far as we did last year, we are setting are sights on Tennessee.
The plan: same as last trip. Leave outta northern Ohio. Ride, camp, eat, sleep, repeat. Going no further than to 'touch a wheel' into Georgia. Find some fun 'roads less travelled' along the way.
The goals: add more states to my talley, which will help catch me up to his (I've got Hawaii, thanks Uncle Sam), gravel/FS roads, Tellico Outfitters, not pay for camping, go over the mountain not around it, do a river crossing, stay out of the mud (street tires), get photos of the wildlife and terrain, go though an abandoned RR tunnel. Finally, enjoy having no schedule!
The dates: September 9-18th?

Post trip: knowing most of you like a good RR, post up as much of the experience as I can.

TINMAN TIM

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Those are great goals for your trip! It's going to be great! Have fun, and yes we'll be looking forward to the report and pics.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
waiting for the countdown to begin!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a couple of 'feelers' out as far as "you need to check out this trail" type stuff. But other than that, I've been doing a lot of google earth searches. Needless to say, I'm stoked. Its been since last September since we've been on a proper roadtrip. I've got a bunch of things to get accomplished before we depart, but, luckily the bike isn't one of them.
less than a month to go before departure! TIM

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Always interesting what you and your bro will be up to next. Still dazzled with your CT90 exploits.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I truely wish we could continue our adventures on the CT90's. But at a certain point, we realised we needed 'more'. The lil Honda's were more than over their design limits, to say the least. I am still amazed I got to cross the Mississippi river on two separate occasions, while riding the little 'mule'.
recently I jumped on it to make a quick trip to the store. OMG! How did I not kill myself riding it? Its not terrible considering its a 42yr old machine, and it started on the second kick after setting for nearly a year, but the TW has spoiled me.
I wish to thank everyone, who's posted their ideas, advice, 'mod' pictures, and well wishes. Like most, its inspired me to make the upgrades to my bike, as well as design the racks I sell.
as our departure date draws nearer, I will post pics of the bike&gear in the hopes it will inspire others. Till then, the clock continues to tick..... RIDE SAFE, TIM

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gazetteers showed up in the mail today! Route planning will be in full gear for the next week or so. And still the clock ticks.....TIM

·
Registered
13,662 Posts
Tick Toc Tick Toc. I'll be looking forward to your adventure report!:)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
image.jpg With just over two weeks till departure, thought i'd ensure i had all my bases covered. Short of clothes and food, i loaded up the bike with all my gear. One saddle bag is still empty, and the top box is about 50% full.
As i said, clothes and food are still left to go in, as well as some maps and personal items. My packing tends to be a battle of weight vs comfort. But i also like to only take things that i can use for more than one use. I.E., campstool doubles as wind break for cook stove. The lid of the top box can be used as a lapdesk for route planning and a wash basin for dishes. Extra riding gloves and balakava become pillow at bedtime. And so on.
Put it in the backyard and took some pictures of the set-up.

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welp, its official. One week to go. The countdown clock has been started. The bike's are prepped. Gear is operational. Clothing in piles. Routes have been mapped. Photo-ops planned to keep you all entertained.
got a few jobs to wrap-up this week at work. Should be done by thursday, then will pack up for launch. Want to thank all the well wishers and those that sent routes to help reach my goals on this ride.
and still the clock..... Tick tock, tick tock..... TIM

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good news, bad news. Bad news first...24hr postpone. Life/obligations got in the way. Good news is our return gets pushed 24hrs as well. No harm, no foul I guess.
more good news, I can give some waypoints that we will be traveling. Ohio River at Franklin Furnace. Ky to Tn at Jellico. 3-4 days SW Tn. 3 days home via N.C. & W.V.(route to be determined)
still the clock......tick-tock, TIM

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
will be 'stands up' at 8am Tuesday. The 24hr delay is killin' me. Tick-tock, tick-tock...TIM

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hey Tinman, quick question...

which Clarke tank is that and did you have to do any mods to the SC seat to make it fit?

BTW,
Can't wait to read your RR, bike looks great, and praying for safe travels Sir.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
to a great ride tim,
ride on!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts