TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading about this, a year or so ago....adding 2-stroke oil to gasoline meant for a 4 stroke engine.
The concerns of excess fouling are minimized by the higher ratios and in using synthetic formulations.

I decided to give it a try and like the OP of this thread, I also noticed an increase in idle-revs...even though I had not adjusted the idle since my last ride. It was in fact, higher-than-normal such that I had to turn it down...since I don't like a fast idle.
This is no different than using MMO or other "snake-oils" for top end lubrication....except that this is actual OIL instead of turpentine, camp-stove fuel or what-have-you.
These bikes have no catalytic converter, so there is no risk of damage to it...so I'm going to continue this experiment of mine for a bit (currently have ONE full tank of this 100:1 blend) and see where the bear shits in the buckwheat.
Anyone want to come along and post their own findings?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I use the optima injector 2 stroke oil in my DT200 2 smoke and have used the the optima 2 stroke mix oil in my other 2 strokes. If mixing with gas, you can run 80 to 1 easily, some trials rider run 100 to 1. For your TW you are using too much oil. I played around with the DT injector and calculated I once had it as lean as 300 to 1. I have gone back to around 80 to 1, but Admiral still comments about me fogging for mosquitoes, when I open her up.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...Admiral still comments about me fogging for mosquitoes, when I open her up.
Haha...I've just started this experiment, so I can't comment about my "fogging"...but it's something I'll definitely keep an eye on!

·
Registered
544 Posts
This reminds me of my go kart racing days. I ran straight 2 cycle oil in the crankcase of my 4 cycle engine. It was a special oil that the 2 smoke guys ran in their fuel. We all had to run methanol by the rules. I ran what they call a "loose" engine. Had tons of blow-by. By running the 2 cycle oil, any fuel that got in the crankcase wouldn't do any harm. Any oil that got in the combustion chamber would burn with the methanol. 2 for 1 solution.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will that foul plugs?
Not if running in the higher (or lower, depending on your point of view) ratios. My Yamaha outboard runs 100:1...that's less than a cupful of oil for over 5 USG's.
I can troll all day long and she doesn't foul....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Why the heck would you do this in a 4-stroke? There’s absolutely no reason for it. Why don’t you just send the money you are spending on 2 stroke oil to me and I’ll waste it for you.

Your 4 stroke gets all the lubrication it needs from the sump.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why the heck would you do this in a 4-stroke? There’s absolutely no reason for it. Why don’t you just send the money you are spending on 2 stroke oil to me and I’ll waste it for you.

Your 4 stroke gets all the lubrication it needs from the sump.
Correct....but this is for upper cylinder lubrication.
Did you read the link in the first post? People have been doing this for years.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Correct....but this is for upper cylinder lubrication.
Did you read the link in the first post? People have been doing this for years.
Yes I did. It’s snake oil, nothing up there you’re going to lube with a little 2 stroke oil. Your cylinder and piston is already lubed by the crankcase oil, your valves don’t need lubrication.

Especially in something as basic as the TW engine.

And because some guy claims it “feels smoother “. Whatever. At 1 oz to 5 gallons it’s doing absolutely nothing.

So every 4-stroke ever built suffers a shorter life because we all weren’t burning 2-stroke oil. Guess I’ll start adding it to our Chevy 5.3 work trucks with only 380,000 miles.
Also 2 stroke oil will cause buildup on your piston and rings as it is not designed for the heat and conditions in a 4-stroke combustion chamber.

Check this out from the actual engineers at Driven Racing Oils, not just some guy experimenting on his Honda.

“FUEL MATTERS

The 5th thing is don’t forget about your fuel. You may be wondering what fuel has to do with oil, but the type of fuel you use (and any additives you may have put into your fuel) do directly effect the life of our oil. For example, upper cylinder lubricants tend to increase fuel dilution of the motor oil, and the upper cylinder lubricant itself can leave deposits in the engine. This shortens the life of the oil because the oil is trying to clean the deposits off the engine parts. Once the oil is “full” of fuel and the upper cylinder lubricant, the oil can no longer hold these contaminants and they separate out from the oil. You don’t want that to happen. Conversely, some fuel additives actually help the oil by keeping certain areas of the engine clean and by keeping the fuel that does get past the piston rings from turning into varnish. So, you do have to pay attention to your fuel and what you put in it; avoid products containing alcohol. You can either improve or decrease the performance and life of lubricant, and the equipment it protects, by the choice of fuel and fuel additives.”

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
It’s snake oil, nothing up there you’re going to lube with a little 2 stroke oil. Your cylinder and piston is already lubed by the crankcase oil, your valves don’t need lubrication.

Especially in something as basic as the TW engine.

And because some guy claims it “feels smoother “. Whatever.

So every 4-stroke ever built suffers a shorter life because we all weren’t burning 2-stroke oil. Guess I’ll start adding it to our Chevy 5.3 work trucks with only 3
People have been doing this for years.
It does work. (y)

Reactions: TW_in_BC

·
Registered
38 Posts
This was a common recommendation back when I frequented the Kawasaki Concours forum. I can't remember, but seem to remember it was a few ounces to that big 'ol tank. The reason for adding the two-stroke oil was to keep the tiny passageways in the carb from getting plugged up due to the poor gas these days.

Mike

·
Registered
79 Posts
This was a common recommendation back when I frequented the Kawasaki Concours forum. I can't remember, but seem to remember it was a few ounces to that big 'ol tank. The reason for adding the two-stroke oil was to keep the tiny passageways in the carb from getting plugged up due to the poor gas these days.

Mike
Your better off using something like Sta-Bil that’s actually designed for that. 2-stroke oil isn’t a fuel preservative.

·
Registered
79 Posts
People have been doing this for years.
People have been doing a lot of things for years, doesn’t mean it does anything.

If it makes you feel better then by all means do it as it’s your bike but it isn’t necessary and isn’t going to help anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts