TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Funny thing is he could probably have gotten through with a 1wd version at like 15 mph lol.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Most definitely an Ural, named after the mountain range. (pronounced OOO-Rall, not You-Rall) On some models the sidecars have a drive wheel. I think a lot of the military models had this. I've never ridden one but been up close to a few and they are built in typical Russian fashion, heavy, durable but not very flashy. I myself, would love to have one.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
We have a dealer nearby. The fit and finish in the newer bikes way better. Two wheel drive (rear wheel has a cross shaft that drives the sidecar) in flat desert tan will set you back about 17k, complete with military shovel and Gerry can strapped on.

Way freaken cool.

Most definitely an Ural, named after the mountain range. On some models the sidecars have a drive wheel. I think a lot of the military models had this. I've never ridden one but been up close to a few and they are built in typical Russian fashion, heavy, durable but not very flashy. I myself, would love to have one.

·
Registered
485 Posts
We have a dealer nearby. The fit and finish in the newer bikes way better. Two wheel drive (rear wheel has a cross shaft that drives the sidecar) in flat desert tan will set you back about 17k, complete with military shovel and Gerry can strapped on.

Way freaken cool.
There is a dealer in Ferndale WA wayyyy up near the Canada border ad haven't been to it but there is a dealer in Helena MT that I visited and had a chance to sit on one. And you're right Smitty, they are very cool.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Heavy, yes, but durable...? I've seen many accounts of horrendous reliability of Ural motorcycles.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I've looked at them many times over the years wanting another hack, but have been disappointed in the quality. Last year at the motorcycle show up here, I looked again. I saw chrome that was plated so thin, that you could almost see the metal beneath. I was sure if it got left out in the rain, that those parts would have rusted in no time. They have to do better than that for me.

·
Registered
226 Posts
As a Uralist I can tell you that is not all Ural, the engine looks like a 650 the frame looks to be BMW WWII vintage

They are fun I have 48,000 on my Ural and have been commuting year round on her since the fall of 2011. Never been stranded. She is an AK47 not an AR15.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Like many motorcycles you get to meet great people and make new friends. The Ural riders are very much like TW riders a good down to earth crowd.

·
Registered
485 Posts
all_wheel_drive_motorcycle_URAL_3x3.jpg e9e1823ec93572549543f4b6d04529ef.jpg
It may be bastardized from some other parts, but I found this photo on pintrest, it's the exact same bike. Says Ural 3 wheel drive but who knows. Russians will cobble together all kinds of stuff and make it work. They're pretty damn clever.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
View attachment 14908 View attachment 14907
It may be bastardized from some other parts, but I found this photo on pintrest, it's the exact same bike. Says Ural 3 wheel drive but who knows. Russians will cobble together all kinds of stuff and make it work. They're pretty damn clever.
There is a winch on the front of the sidecar! Cool!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Re: 2wd

The Urals imported from '03 onwards are much more reliable machines than back in the 'Cossack' label days. I owned this Gear Up for 9 years,very enjoyable. The other part of the 'horrible reliability' stigma is owner ignorance ,and consequently owner abuse-If it's ridden and maintained as it should be, given it's simple and very dated design ,there are generally very few major problems......

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts