TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a horrible Horrible Thing. That poor family, the baby. There are no words to express the sadness.

There is also heart felt feeling for the cops and emergency responders who have to see and live with these tragedies.

If my memory serves me wasn't this the same guy who gave the press interview at the gay nightclub? How he even sleeps at night I don't know.
gator death.jpg

Story

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On a side note my middle daughter was actually at Disney in FLA when the Night Club killer was casing Disney as a possible target this past April (spring break for us).. She was with her best friends family. They only have the one daughter so my daughter went so she had company her own age. When I found out about him casing Disney last night I was like good god damn thing nothing happened. I'm not sure what I would have done, probably have a heart attack...

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
With my son and his family, heading to Clearwater, for 10 days as I type....and with the Grandsons being 4 1/2 and 21 months...this tragedy always puts a fear in you.....

I grew up around Gators and Snakes in South Florida in the 1950s and 60s....we just never worried much about them, and we roamed those swamps and by~ways....without fear, with the public and masses encroaching on wildlife and vice versa....things like this, as horrible as they are, are bound to happen...:(

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
When I lived in Florida I had 2 German Short Hair pointers that loved the water. I was absolutely heart broken that I could not allow them to go swimming anywhere but swimming pools. We had lakes right close by but they were loaded with gators and dogs are gator food.

This was a very sad event and I honestly believe Disney was at serious fault for not having it posted or fenced with gator warnings. Here where I live I don't venture into the woods without a gun because of all the bears and coyotes that are for the most part afraid of humans. For the most part does not cut it and a bad animal can turn in a second. I am in their home and a sow bear with cubs has every right to protect her cubs. Alligators have to eat too and a 2 year old should never have been where he was allowed to be grabbed.

GaryL

·
Registered
143 Posts
When I lived in Florida I had 2 German Short Hair pointers that loved the water. I was absolutely heart broken that I could not allow them to go swimming anywhere but swimming pools. We had lakes right close by but they were loaded with gators and dogs are gator food.

This was a very sad event and I honestly believe Disney was at serious fault for not having it posted or fenced with gator warnings. Here where I live I don't venture into the woods without a gun because of all the bears and coyotes that are for the most part afraid of humans. For the most part does not cut it and a bad animal can turn in a second. I am in their home and a sow bear with cubs has every right to protect her cubs. Alligators have to eat too and a 2 year old should never have been where he was allowed to be grabbed.

GaryL
They did have signs posted up and down the beach that there was no swimming allowed because of gators. I quess people never think it can happen to them.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
They did have signs posted up and down the beach that there was no swimming allowed because of gators. I quess people never think it can happen to them.
Correct! NO SWIMMING SIGNS but none saying it was because of Gators. My local reservoirs and river swimming holes have NO SWIMMING signs posted all over them but we don't have carnivorous gators lurking beneath. You can be sure this family will absolutely say, "We were not swimming, just wading".

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Gators everywhere down here, any water including pools can get gators in them. If you see a pond/river/etc... assume gators are their.
Agree! Anyone from the south will know this for sure but a family from Nebraska or from a foreign country might have no idea!

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agree! Anyone from the south will know this for sure but a family from Nebraska or from a foreign country might have no idea!

GaryL
Someone really should have told that family about gators or there should have been signs. My understanding is that the father was so close to the child that he actually had his hands on the little guy and the gator pulled the toddler out of his hands. People probably figured he would have been able to get out of dodge if he saw a gator coming and didn't speak up (if there was anyone even there?). Apparently gators are stealthier than they look on the gator shows.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Loop Road Gator.png Loop Road Main Drag.png

This guy was as big as I had ever seen, even in my youth...maybe 12-13 feet, but was across the pond{swamp pit} from me on Loop Road, at the edge of the Everglades...been about 10 years ago, I was packing my .38 but that would not put a dent in this SOB...Loop Road, is located on the north edge of the Glades, and right on US 41{Tamiami Trial}, all kinds of folks, many clueless tourists, were out checking this guys out, along with dozens of smaller Gators....you have to keep you distance, they haul ass when needed, and only Jesse Owens might be able to outrun them if they are hungry or mad :eek:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Someone really should have told that family about gators or there should have been signs. My understanding is that the father was so close to the child that he actually had his hands on the little guy and the gator pulled the toddler out of his hands. People probably figured he would have been able to get out of dodge if he saw a gator coming and didn't speak up (if there was anyone even there?). Apparently gators are stealthier than they look on the gator shows.
Gators are an AMBUSH PREDATOR! They sit completely submerged until the prey is close enough to pounce. The father had no chance with this attack.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I taught alligator/crocodile biology and techniques courses for Latin American biologists from all over Latin America. We censused, caught, marked, and handled animals, and had healthy respect for how fast they move, how long they can stay submerged, and how far the can swim underwater. I've seen a big male gulp down a 50 lb bag of frozen nutria meat like it was a couple of aspirin. More importantly we all know that they are hunted by making them jump 4' out of the water to grab a baited hook suspended above the water. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, they can propel themselves out of the water for 6 - 8 feet or more (like a rocket launched from a submarine). In short dad holding a kids hand is no protection against an animal that may have been habituated to come to the area because he had previously been baited with chicken bones and hot dogs. Too many people in too much contact with wildlife and too much money being made to risk scaring some people from coming. Stuff happens and some folks suffer. I'm sorry but it probably wasn't the alligator's fault, and it probably wasn't the parents either, but it wasn't their most brilliant parenting day either. Just saying its complex and totally believable that it happened. Tom

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gators are an AMBUSH PREDATOR! They sit completely submerged until the prey is close enough to pounce. The father had no chance with this attack.

GaryL
I had no idea they were like that... lots of people probably don't.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Correct! NO SWIMMING SIGNS but none saying it was because of Gators. My local reservoirs and river swimming holes have NO SWIMMING signs posted all over them but we don't have carnivorous gators lurking beneath. You can be sure this family will absolutely say, "We were not swimming, just wading".

GaryL
Acually I just got back from there and the signs for the gators are just that, a pic of a gator in the water.

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
When we were down in Louisiana for Hurricane Katrina recovery help

Part of our job was to travel on the dikes and levies to refuel the pump stations

While traveling on these dikes and levies we had the pleasure of seeing many of these. "Keep your hands and feet in the vehicle at all times!"

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Acually I just got back from there and the signs for the gators are just that, a pic of a gator in the water.
In all of the news accounts I have seen they show a lot of No Swimming signs but none with the gator warnings. Just saying! Other beaches on the property do have the gator warnings.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This means to me that locals would understand what the sign means if it was like the one you mention but vacationers would just say "I don't see any gators now" and just wade in a bit... I think it probably should be better addressed with signs like these:
gatorsign2.JPG
prevent-mistaken-identity-alligator-sign-k-0455.png

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I had no idea they were like that... lots of people probably don't.
Seen it with my own eyes. Two beedy eyes above the water when I walked the dogs on leashes and they would submerge in hopes I would bring them close enough. I could not get within 10 feet of the waters edge with the dogs and I also saw a few very big Python snakes that would make a meal of them in a minute and not even in or near the water but right by my chain link fence. We had to move from Florida for a few good reason but first and foremost is my wife is deadly allergic to fire ants.

GaryL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok... We can point fingers & give our opinions on who is at fault here...but it all boils down to parenting... Unfortunately this little fellow was not as protected as he could have been at that point in time...apparently this is a family visiting an exhibit they were totally unfamiliar with & had no idea this "danger" was present. Here in louisiana we learn early on wild animals are just that. They live to eat & eat to live & are certainly not as cute & cuddly as story books cartoons & children's animated movies make them out to be. SIGNS Warning of any possible danger we're exposed to is not the answer... What are you gonna do place signs every 10' of roadway saying don't walk out in traffic you may get run over... How bout billboards along the interstates explaining "possible head on collisions with 18 wheelers ahead"... There's no substitute for good parenting, or GOD... Ok I'll put my soapbox away now... Later

1 - 20 of 31 Posts