TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! I have a '00 TW200 that stalled out while riding. Now it cranks but won't start.

I replaced the spark plug, but it doesn't spark when grounded to the block. Neither did the old plug. I know the carb is good, the battery is charged, and the filter is clear...

That leaves me with a few options. It's either the coil/plug cap, CDI box, or stator. The battery is charged, so it's probably not the stator - Which leaves the Plug Cap and the CDI box.

Has anyone had a similar problem? What was the fix? I'm new to fixing TW's and I don't want to throw $200+ at a CDI if I don't have to.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
What makes you feel it is not fuel?

First time out on my TW, I had the rascal in pieces before I noticed the odometer and did the math. Never had a full tank go empty in only 78 miles.

Put it back together and turned it to reserve for a smooth ride to the gas station.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What makes you feel it is not fuel?

First time out on my TW, I had the rascal in pieces before I noticed the odometer and did the math. Never had a full tank go empty in only 78 miles.

Put it back together and turned it to reserve for a smooth ride to the gas station.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
I've removed and inspected the plug... It won't spark when grounded to the block.

I also switched it to reserve and used starting fluid in the cylinder - Still won't start.

And there's fuel in the carb bowl.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It's my understanding that the stator is only responsible for charging and the pulser coil is responsible for spark.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Will not start in neutral with clutch pulled?
The CDI is effected by
clutch switch for starting
side stand switch when in gear

Also involved are
ignition circuit cut-off relay
start circuit cut-off relay

So, if the CDI is not pulsing to the coil, it may not be a faulty CDI unit

Schematic courtesy of Purple (Jan 2020)
to read easier, copy, paste into Paint and save as a jpeg

Circuit component Schematic Rectangle Font Floor plan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will not start in neutral with clutch pulled?
The CDI is effected by
clutch switch for starting
side stand switch when in gear

Also involved are
ignition circuit cut-off relay
start circuit cut-off relay

So, if the CDI is not pulsing to the coil, it may not be a faulty CDI unit

Schematic courtesy of Purple (Jan 2020)
to read easier, copy, paste into Paint and save as a jpeg

View attachment 228367
Thank you for all this! I'm gonna do more diag work on it this week. That diagram is fantastic! I think the previous owner bypassed the kickstand switch, so I'll start there. Maybe their fix didn't last.

·
Registered
2003 TW
47 Posts
Hey there! I have a '00 TW200 that stalled out while riding. Now it cranks but won't start.

I replaced the spark plug, but it doesn't spark when grounded to the block. Neither did the old plug. I know the carb is good, the battery is charged, and the filter is clear...

That leaves me with a few options. It's either the coil/plug cap, CDI box, or stator. The battery is charged, so it's probably not the stator - Which leaves the Plug Cap and the CDI box.

Has anyone had a similar problem? What was the fix? I'm new to fixing TW's and I don't want to throw $200+ at a CDI if I don't have to.
Now would be a good time to pull apart every electrical connector you can find and clean the ends with a contact cleaner such as Deoxit5. Got an old Honda XR200R running perfectly after this maintenance procedure.

Don’t force them apart, look for a locking tab and use a small screwdriver as needed to release the tab

·
Registered
23,316 Posts
After confirming a similar problem I had was electrical, as you have done, I then tested with ohmmeter the resistance of coil, stator, pulser. etc comparing my readings with specs from TW Service Manual. Tested resistance in associated wire leads too. Process of elimination suggested pulser coil. Replacing it cured problem.

Like ApolloBoyo's bike when starter motor can turn over engine this quickly eliminates all the safety interlocks like clutch, side stand as well as kill switch, ignition switch and usually the battery too. The simple observation that motor turns over allows one to quickly eliminate many systems and focus on evaluating what is really involved in ignition.
Observing no spark also tends to eliminate wasting time on fuel delivery & metering concerns.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
This is one of the simplest CDI explantions I've seen.

Reactions: salabim
1 - 13 of 13 Posts