TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a good deal on two 2000 TW200's. Ones for my buddy and the other for my wife. I've been restoring USMC dirt bikes for awhile and my wife decided shed like to ride with me on the dual sport trails. Plan on making some upgrades and covering the usual problem areas. Here's pick of both bikes in my truck. Might take awhile to finish my there projects but I'll be posting the updates here. Looks like I need a few more posts before links can be added.

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
Endearing friend and happy wife, sounds the pitch of a beautiful life! Happy trails to all.

Marty

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know where you got them... I picked up two myself! ( one for my buddy) Going through them now, chains, tires, fork oil etc...

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Did you drive from TX to IL to get those? Now that’s commitment! Or maybe yours aren’t from that rider training group in IL.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you drive from TX to IL to get those? Now that’s commitment! Or maybe yours aren’t from that rider training group in IL.
I did get them from the rider training group in Illinois. I got the first pick out of all of them and found two that are in almost perfect condition.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced the air filter, upgraded to larger foot pegs, and installed the license plate relocation kit. I also finally changed the front and rear tire, inner tubes and rim strips. Did it by hand which saved my $80 and was a bit rough. I went wit the Shinko 241 front and TW34 rear.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got any pics of those, Johnny?
You can check out the below forum. It shows all of the restoration, including my current one, for 5 of the 8 bikes.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I really dig that diesel version...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the wheels back on and changed out the fork fluid with Bel-Ray 10wt. I also completed a oil change along with the oil filter and O-Rings. The old oil actually looked pretty good but apparently the previous owner never changed out the oil filter! I am just waiting on a new sealed battery, countershaft oil seal, front countershaft sprocket 14T, rear sprocket 47T, rear sprocket bolt kit, and a new O-Ring chain. There appears to be a leak near the front sprocket. I believe that the countershaft oil seal is what is needed. If not, someone please let me know what seals I'll need along with the part numbers. I believe I've seen few posts about it the other day.

·
Super Moderator
5,317 Posts
There are three seals in that area – first one is on the drive shaft on the inner crankcase, second one is on the drive shaft where it meets the outer crankcase. Cheap as chips and easy to fit, and best done whether they need it or not

The third is on the gear change shaft …..

·
Registered
194 Posts
Congrats on 2 great buys and bikes.

Did you verify the oil filter has the 4 holes in it? There are a lot of no hole filters. Even from Yamaha.

·
Registered
20,489 Posts
Wow, finally we get to see a TW oil filter developing a filter cake, likely excessive though.:cool:
As filter efficiency goes up with a developing filter cake unfortunately so does head loss across the filter.
Good time to change.
Bike with the new improved tires and taillight looks marvelous!

Reactions: raffles

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today I changed out the rear sprocket and hardware to a 47T, put a new 14T front sprocket, and a new O-Ring chain. I had to cut a few links off since it was a 130 link chain. I also changed out the dead battery to a Shorai lithium. This might be overkill with the cranking amps since this bike has a kick starter.

I noticed there was a possible leak at the countershaft oil seal, the one in the cover (last picture). The two Phillips head screws are specified to be at 5ft pounds. These screws weren’t budging. I was using JIS screw drivers but they still started to strip. I then used Kroil penetrating lubricant and some heat but still no luck. I don't have an easy out so I’ll let it soak over night unless anyone has any better methods?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Finally got the screws off the plate that covers the oil seal in the case cover. I had to use a blow torch, Kroil, a hand file to cross cut the screw head, and a inpact screwdriver. I replaced it with a stainless steel hex cap so I can use a ratchet next time I need to get in there. I also used some anti seize. Getting the seal out was easy and I only had to press the other one in by hand. Then just threw on the new gasket and filed the engine oil back up.

While disconnecting the wires to the stator I found some fried plastic connectors. I’ll have to order some new ones. I just used dialectic grease and electrical tape. Also ordered the stainless steel allen head bolt kit for the engine. Why did hey use Phillips (JIS) head screws for the engine case?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After the last debacle of fighting out the Phillips head (JIS) screws I decided to replace them. I found a set of stainless steel socket cap screws for the entire engine. Basically allen head bolts. Since it’s stainless steel I used antiseize and torqued them all to spec. Later on I’ll get the top end done when I check the valves.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts