TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been moth balled a long time (6 years), have not remove carb yet...figure it is a float jam?

Drained the crab, new gas...and leaking gas out of the crab overflow hose when running.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only when running? Seems odd. If it is off and the petcock is open does it leak?
Probably an issue with the float, needle, seat or combination.
Hi GOF

Sorry for the confusion...it runs out engine running or not...

Taking it apart tomorrow to have a look.

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
Float Jam? That's not that the same as South Carolina's Drift Jam, world's largest floating music festival is it? drift jam.jpeg

Don't know about crab overflow but the Drift Jam overflows with pretty girls. girls_of_2014s_ultra_music_festival_640_44.jpg

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Floats are very reliable you need a new needle seat assembly and while your in there clean or replace the pilot jet and replace the bowl o-ring

The real risk is that gas will not only overflow the bowl to the outside it will also leak into your oil and thin is sometimes catistrophically

check your oil level and don't run it if it's over full

this is a very routine maintenance deal with all TW's

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Floats are very reliable you need a new needle seat assembly and while your in there clean or replace the pilot jet and replace the bowl o-ring

The real risk is that gas will not only overflow the bowl to the outside it will also leak into your oil and thin is sometimes catistrophically

check your oil level and don't run it if it's over full

this is a very routine maintenance deal with all TW's
Excellent info, thanks Palcer!

Why would the needle seat assembly, pilot jet and bowl 0-ring fail/wear out?...o rings I understand but the others...thanks again...

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Been moth balled a long time (6 years), have not remove carb yet...figure it is a float jam?

Drained the crab, new gas...and leaking gas out of the crab overflow hose when running.

Thanks
I had a leaking float on my XT200 late last fall. Different carb than on the TW's but basically the floats operate the same. Fixed it this winter by checking the float bowl fuel level. Mine was out of adjustment by not allowing the needle valve not to "seat". I adjusted the float and all is good.

It could also be as you suspect a sticking float. On my 2005 TW the o-ring on the needle valve seat assembly rotted away it this also allowed gas to freeflow out of the carb and even happened when I was riding it. Didn't realize what was going on at first as the overflow of fuel would stall the engine. In this case of the rotted o-ring, gas eventually flowed out of both the float bowl overflow tube and the other overflow tube (pipe).

Needle seats aren't often the fault but very often replaced. I now have an extra brand new needle seat as I bought one thinking the adjustment wouldn't work.

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
I have also had both the needle and the little fuel filter screen atop the needle seat assembly get clogged and dysfunctional with gummy deposits likely caused by ethanol laced fuels.
If you already run a third fuel filter between the petcock and the carb you can eliminate this second fuel filter. The primary filter in the tank attached to the petcock removes most debris anyways and the third aftermarket filter has much more surface area than the secondary filter atop the needle assembly. An external aftermarket right angle filter can be readily inspected and replaced while the OEM secondary filter atop the needle requires carb disassembly and a delicate touch to remove float w/o breaking the float pivot boss.

Pilot jet "failure" seems hard to explain, but replacement often cures the inexplicable.

Float bowl O-rings can get worn through repeated disassembly. Plus they either come with, or acquire a bit of a "D" shaped cross section so re-instsalling up-side down can cause leakage.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Float Jam? That's not that the same as South Carolina's Drift Jam, world's largest floating music festival is it? View attachment 192188

Don't know about crab overflow but the Drift Jam overflows with pretty girls. View attachment 192190
Ha! I’ve been to this (Drift Jam) a few times. It’s great but my patience and tolerance of young drunk crowds quickly wains. If anyone attends, let me know. There is some riding not too far away from that ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
6 years with old gas in it, recipe for a gummy mess inside the carb and lots of stuck parts, especially the float and float needle. Buy a gallon of carb cleaner from the parts store, dunk the carb in for a couple of days, brush off the residue with a toothbrush, blow out the passages with air, and clean the needle vales and reset them. You'll be good to go.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Be careful removing the float pin some have broken one of the ears that hold the float in. Check on articles on how to remove it safely.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had my carb off a few times recently and did not see a screen or filter above the float needle. Does a 2015 TW have one?

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
Carb rebuild kits for 1987 through 20018 still show the needle valve assembly with the nylon filter screen. needle.jpeg

Yamaha Partshouse still depicts the filter screen as part of it's listing for needle valve assembly for 2015 TW200s . Part Number
5LB-14390-00-00

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
Carb rebuild kits for 1987 through 20018 still show the needle valve assembly with the nylon filter screen. View attachment 192254

JMC, if your carb ever "roverflows" look again at top of needle valve assembly. If you are lucky someone already removed the filter screen.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
On my 2005 TW the o-ring on the needle valve seat assembly rotted away it this also allowed gas to freeflow out of the carb and even happened when I was riding it. Didn't realize what was going on at first as the overflow of fuel would stall the engine. In this case of the rotted o-ring, gas eventually flowed out of both the float bowl overflow tube and the other overflow tube (pipe).
Ditto! Same thing happened to my '87 TW. I replaced the o-ring (red arrow) and all was good.

Float1.jpg

A great way to clean the carb is with a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner and Simple Green. Some before and after pics:
P4160946.JPG P4160950.JPG P1101251 (2).JPG P1101255.JPG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts