TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for my first bike and I found two possible ones locally. The first one is a 2005 Yamaha XT225 in good condition, but with 11K+ miles and the second one is a 2001 Yamaha TW200 in great condition, with a little under 4.5K miles. Both are selling for right around $1,800. I like the XT, but am a little shaky with the amount of miles on it and the guy is a second owner. The TW200 is in almost mint condition, it is a one owner and it was a lady who drove it on the roads, never off-road. I like the miles, but I feel like $1,800 for a 2001 200cc motorcycle is a little steep.

Let me know what you guys think. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
1500 would be a better price on the TW, but it probably is worth what she is asking. Will she bargain? But then again, sounds like she babied it. I paid 1600 for a 87 with 1400 miles on it. Can't really advise you on the other bike, sorry. I am sure some other members will though. Welcome to the forum Chris!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
It would be easier to evaluate your prices if you could tell us the general area where you live.

With the 2001 TW you will have a bike with a front disk, CV carb and all the other goodies to make it exactly like a 2014 except the color.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Can't go wrong either way, the price for the TW is a deal even if the seller doesn't come down, these things are getting expensive...

·
Registered
206 Posts
If your gonna do more off road I'd def go tw. My buddy had a really hard time keeping up with us tduds on his xt. Great street bike though

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
736 Posts
whichever; you should decide quick. the Tdub prob wont last long...in many markets they go almost as fast as they are listed. I would see them on CL, then gone the next day. When I bought mine, she had about 10 more calls after me.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If you ever decide to sell, that TW will hold it's value. It is the bike for the learner and the old timer like me that just wants to get out and enjoy putting around. Has a low seat height and will keep up with a quad in the soft stuff and go out on those county roads to get home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2003 XT 225 and a 2006 TW200. If you plan on doing mostly street with occasional off-road the XT is a better bet. The 6-speed transmission and slight extra power really make a difference on the street. I can ride comfortably at 60 mph on the XT and it'll do 74 mph indicated. At 60 the engine barely feels taxed. The TW on the other hand feels like it's struggling at 55 mph. A rear-sprocket changed can help the TW's case, but you're still at a power deficit.

On the other hand, I live in south jersey where most of our off-road riding is in deep sand and there the TW really shines. Off road the TW instills so much more confidence. I can keep a notably faster pace on the TW off road, except when it gets really bumpy. The XT suspension seems to do a better job of soaking up the rough stuff.

Both bikes are super fun, cheap to maintain, and reliable. Ride both and decide if you can. If not I'd vote TW if you plan to mostly go off-road, and XT if you plan to do a lot of on road.

Reactions: tcepilot
1 - 11 of 11 Posts