TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there folks, I have a problem with my '03 TW I could use some help with. Put a new battery in January 2016 ("BikeMaster TruGel") and it's always been kept on a battery tender since then. We had some warm weather back in February, and I took it out for a spin one day. Worked great, no issues. Next day I went I went to start it, but, forgot to disconnect the battery tender - hit start - and nothing. No headlight/indicator lights, no ignition, completely dead.

- Fuses check out ok
- Battery tests at 13.3V
- No melted wires anywhere I can see
- Next step is to try and jump the bike with another 12v battery, pending other advice...

Did I fry something? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm sure this may sound obvious however it seems that many times this has to do with a safety lock-out issue, most often being the bike in gear with stand down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, thanks, checked that. I'm not getting any power at all with the ignition turned on.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Make sure you did not kill the power last time you were riding with the "Kill Switch " and then fail to move it back to the "Run" position.. It's the rocker type switch in the housing on the right side, where front brake lever is housed... If left in the " Off " position it will not allow electriciy to the entire system.

excalibur

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Fred - battery connections are tight. I'll pull the ignition switch out and have a look.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Did you just do a visual inspection on the fuse? Sometimes they look ok but they are open circuit. Be sure to check for power on both sides of the fuse with a test light or volt meter and do it with the key on.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I doubt that anything is fried, I've done this before with no issues but got the tender off after the bike was running. First check I would do is hook some other 12V appliance to the battery terminals and see if it runs. Some batteries just die for no apparent reason and they will show a voltage but under load die very quickly.

It would seem unlikely the ignition switch would work one day and not the next. Don't pull that just yet. It can also be tested with a continuity checker. Have a look in the tech section for the wiring diagram.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Peterb: I have 0.00 continuity on both fuses so I don't think that's it.

RockyTFS: Great to know I'm not the first! I will try testing the battery as you suggested, thanks.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
this happened to me once and it turned out to be the 2nd set of tie down bolts on the battery terminals. there is a bolt on the battery cable and a 2nd bolt on the side, if i remember correctly, and one was loose

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks grewen - the battery is nice and tight in there so don't think that's it. Trying to see if I can jump it with a marine battery I have in the garage.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
sometimes the kick stand switch sticks especially on older bikes or weathered bikes be sure to lube it up ad make sure it's working freely or bypass it with caution (don't ride off with your stand down)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Results on voltage test on both side of the main fuse:

- ignition off: 13v both sides
- ignition on: .05 both sides

1 - 20 of 39 Posts