TW200 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for a nother motor,that would fit on a 2003 xt225 frame looking for more power.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well, you have several options IMHO:

1. Spend big money on a more powerful bike;

2. Trade your XT225 for a TW200, acknowledge its awesomeness, and accept that it only has so much power;

3. Spend crap-loads of $$ trying to shoehorn an engine into a space it was never designed for, and vice versa; or......

4. Spend a moderate amount of money and go for a Big Bore conversion of your existing bike.

Of the four, I think the last one is the most reasonable. The XT225 motor is in the same family as the TW200 motor and will respond to the same performance modifications. There is tons of good info on this site that would let you take your bike to a 229, a 236, a 243, or a 250 all using readily available parts. You can do all of this without having to mess with your bottom end. You are even luckier in that you have a XT225 with the Nikasil cyl - it has a wider case mouth that will allow the fitting of a larger bore cyl much more easy. A good place to start is:

If you want to live crazy, you could go up to 265 with a 76mm custom piston. That is what I am doing with my TW200. I had to search around for an XT225 lower end for a Nikasil cyl bike, but I eventually found one. TurtleWagon is doing a 76mm piston proj, although with a stroked crank as well for a 280 beastie! You can find his build here:

If you are lucky, he might still have a 76mm piston for sale.

Anyway, good luck and welcome to the form!

PS - Option 2 isn't bad either, maybe swap in your XT225 motor (suitably modified if you still want more power) using one of PlacerLode's excellent and elegant countershaft extensions:

Stay safe and healthy,

James

1 - 3 of 3 Posts