1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
V8 power feels good LOL :) It's got open diffs and a set of 285/75R16 street tires at 35 PSI, haha. At some point here, I may add a rear locker, and after these tires wear out (which might be a while!), I'll put some mud terrains on it.

Just click on the "photo" after you follow the link.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNEDr-breElxiikvHOwR5jdCjWWLK7h8hdkANI3_VF3k3tndi94PIq8yyPw9IvfZg?key=THFXOVVRMUNoODBSd29BVDI3VmVKQndBUHUtUnFn

Lol I thought you were gonna baby it, not blow it up, roll it and get stuck! :) j/k.

That caught me by suprise fir sure. You should have gotten a Jeep.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Lol I thought you were gonna baby it, not blow it up, roll it and get stuck! :) j/k.

That caught me by suprise fir sure. You should have gotten a Jeep.
LOL you have a point, but I don't think I was too hard on it. That hill represents about the limit of what I will do with it off road (maybe slightly more aggressive than I'll normally get). The motor is pretty loud; believe it or not, I don't think I ever took it over 4k RPM at most on that hill -- probably averaging half throttle and 3k (it's a rev-happy motor and makes great power up to 6k). You should have seen some of the stuff I used to do with my Jeeps, let alone what I've done on dirt bikes, haha! I'm mainly planning to avoid stuff that I see as more than a slight risk of any serious damage to the vehicle (extreme rock crawling or hill climbs, deep water, etc.) or any real risk of serious bodily injury. I also only plan on off roading occasionally -- nothing close to every weekend like I did with the dirt bikes. I've never really cared about the cosmetic condition of my vehicles. It already has some light scratches on it from that little off road excursion. But I do keep them in very good condition mechanically, and plan to continue to do so with this one :)

A Jeep would have been cool, but I have been looking at about six or ten different models on Craigslist, Ebay, Auto trader, cars.com etc., every single day for several months, in an effort to find something that is generally known to be a reliable model, and a basically-immaculate example of one of those models with NO problems at all and PERFECT (or at least near-perfect) documented maintenance history. There was a 4Runner that I probably would have bought about two months ago, but it sold just before I could look at it. Other than that, this truck was only the fourth vehicle that I even bothered to go look at in person during that whole time. In fact, one of those four was a Jeep Cherokee with no service records...I was on the verge of abandoning my quest for something that had everything I need. Glad I didn't give up! My number one priority is and has for some time been reliability/long term durability. So when I found something that checked all my boxes, I bit. I am definitely happy with my choice so far, and I don't think that will change. Maybe I'll get a Cherokee if I win the lottery. I know they are great off road, but I didn't buy this as a dedicated off roader or anything: for my intended use (occasional light-to-moderate off road driving, camping, reliable secondary-vehicle commuting, backup vehicle, etc.), the GMC should work quite well. The funny thing is, with its V8, it gets the same fuel economy as my 4 cylinder 4Runner (which I bought for similar reasons as stated above...not for its fuel economy, LOL).

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Looking good KJ.
There is a reason those GM Suburbans in all their various forms and badging have been popular and in continuous production since the 1930s (other than during WWII).

·
Registered
19 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts