TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
It has the correct part number but it does appear to have been modified. Not sure if what I see is the muffler burned out rusted or cut out just past the stinger but every TW I have owned had the turned down stinger like you other bike in the background. It also looks like your stinger is melting your blinker light housing so I would call it a failed attempt modification. Around $100 gets you a new muffler from partzilla.com but you have to be sure you are getting the correct one for your year model because I do know that at some point they did change the placement of the mounting bracket on the frame. TW Brian would probably know the exact date of that change.

GaryL

·
Registered
13,527 Posts
Pretty sure someone added an extra piece to the original exhaust end cap. Stinger as you call it.

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
You may wish to confirm that muffler will pass a spark arrester inspection. Not sure if compliance is important in N.Y. but Forest Service takes that stuff seriously out west where things are a bit more flammable.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing what exactly the OP who did this mod was attempting to achieve?

GaryL

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
That burned up looking thing is just that...a burned up looking thing. Some type of logo sticker...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Is the tip still removable or welded in place?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I am interested to know if this bike is louder or quieter than your TW with the original unmodified muffler. There is a bit of science involved in exhaust systems and the back pressure they create so just opening the end tube might allow the exhaust gasses to escape faster but could also change the geometry of the system itself. Members here who go to the aftermarket mufflers from DG and FMF often find they have to do internal carb jet changes and adjustments.

GaryL

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The tip is still removable. It is a little louder than the 2009 that has stock exhaust. But it definitely has more power, feels a little more peppy. I haven’t had the carb apart yet so I don’t know the jetting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts