TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went on a dual sport trip with a bunch of guys on their 650 cc bikes. While maxing the TW out back on the highway, my engine died. Still cranks but no start. Inspected my bike at a shop and saw 1 valve has broken, piston was damaged from the valve tapping it. Crankshaft is possibly damaged too. This was possibly due to my poor valve adjustment and pushing the bike harder than it wanted. Labor for taking the engine apart has already costed me $200. I don't think I want to spend money on parts unless someone someone sells me all the necessary parts for a good price to fix it. I'd hate to sell my TW but I already have my mind set on a more powerful dual sport/adventure bike better suited to 80 mph speed limits in parts of TX and CA. Yes, I've done a half cross country trip across the USA before on my TW. I'm surprised it took me that far, from NY to TX and back to NY. I've been eyeing the Honda CB500X for some time now and I wouldn't mind ABS in areas of high car traffic as ABS has saved me in my car. My 1st car was a '91 MR2 with no ABS. That along with a short wheelbase in a dead stop traffic ahead situation has made me spin out too many times for comfort. If anyone's interested in selling me a motor or buying my bike off of me, please comment. Send me a private message with an offer.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
To be honest I doubt the crank is messed up. I would throw a new piston and head on it and carry on. Used heads on ebay are about 100 bucks.
+1, for a few hundred $$ investmet you'll get a much higher return when you sell it, or not.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I don't see much damage from the pictures. I would fix it and as rbm stated, you'll get a much higher return when you sell it, or not.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Just sent GaryL a message. Hopefully there's a TW guru who can come by and take a close look.
No promises here but IF you decide the motor is a lost cause I may be interested in buying it from you. I have always wanted to try my hand at a rebuild but never had an engine that i did not actually NEED.:D

Tom

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IMG00066-20140722-1348.jpg IMG00067-20140722-1349.jpg IMG00068-20140722-1349.jpg IMG00069-20140722-1349.jpg IMG00070-20140722-1353.jpg

Here are some more pics. That vise grip is clamped onto some bolt that the mechanic at my local shop is having difficulty taking out. I forgot what it is for. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
No promises here but IF you decide the motor is a lost cause I may be interested in buying it from you. I have always wanted to try my hand at a rebuild but never had an engine that i did not actually NEED.:D

Tom
I'm in the same boat, for the right price, I'd consider a project for the winter...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If someone bids for the whole bike, that'd be great. But I'm gonna wait at least a few days to see if a member or a friend can help me fix it for a good deal. I really want to keep my TW if funds allow. I even gave my TW a name a few months ago, Dakota. Never even named my guns or cars before.

·
Banned
8 Posts
If you decide to part it out I can use the tail section. Just the part that holds the taillight and license and what goes with it.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Too far for my interest, 400 miles both ways just to get it and a lot of work to rebuild. If I was to rebuild it it would get the full rebuild with all new parts while I am in there. My recommendation would be to but a good motor and slap it in.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 55 Posts