TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the apparently stupid question...

I have a 2006 TW225. I'm experiencing lean conditions pretty much across the board - I'm well versed in CV carbs from my Harleys, so I know how to tune them. BUT...

My issue is, I have no idea what the carb is (make, model etc) in order to buy the right jets for it. Can someone shed some light on this please?

From my research I've found that it's the same as the later carbs on the TW200s. Presumably it's jetted slightly differently from the factory as it's 25cc bigger, but I haven't wanted to take it apart before I know what it is!

Appreciate the help folks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
My issue is, I have no idea what the carb is (make, model etc) in order to buy the right jets for it. Can someone shed some light on this please?

From my research I've found that it's the same as the later carbs on the TW200s.
You are probably right.
A spec sheet I downloaded a couple years ago states that its a Teikei MV28(Ø 28 mm)(the same as TW200 since 2001 and TW125 from 2002-2003 only).

·
Super Moderator
4,713 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks - very helpful as always.

It is indeed an MV28. I got bored this morning so took it apart to see what was in it. The needle was a 'clip-type', so I moved the clip down one notch as a starter. It had a 32 pilot and a 132 main in it.

Purple, I see from your signature that you have a TW225 at sea level-ish. Have you rejetted yours?

·
Super Moderator
4,713 Posts
Purple, I see from your signature that you have a TW225 at sea level-ish. Have you rejetted yours?
Nope - left it alone - took the advice "if it 'aint broke, don't fix it" - runs 100% fine through the rev range right from the start. Figured the PO probably sorted it out, or it was OK to begin with

My TW200 on the other hand, takes 10 minutes of riding before I get full throttle response - it's "almost" OK, but does get noticeably better after 10 minutes. Never bothered going in after it, as I've got used to it, plus it runs at 95% for those first few minutes anyway, so it's no big deal - could be a variety of things, probably just needs the idle screw backing off a bit (never looked).

Regular doses of Redex at the start of the season for both bikes, plus I run the float bowls dry on both bikes before putting them away for the winter - seems to work for me at any rate .....

·
Super Moderator
4,713 Posts
Neither bike is over complicated – just a simple two valve thumper – just you and the road

As the 225 engine is (more or less) a Serrow, these are proven engines, just like the 200. Not much to go wrong really, as long as they’re kept in running condition. It’s when they get parked up for five years that the carbs become troublesome (given that we don’t have more than 5% Ethanol in this country, that helps a lot)

They all run lean, nature of the (Japanese) beast, but I find that as long as you run the (fine) line between lean and hot, there’s not much to be done that improves performance. If you really want some low down grunt, try fitting a pumper carb (£350) – but then given that they’re geared to climb trees in the first place, you will only notice the improvement on the drag strip …..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply, Purple.

To be honest I'm really not interested in performance, I just want to know that I can run it all day and not have any problems!

·
Super Moderator
4,713 Posts
I did a comparison test between the 200 and the 225 a few years ago, you may find it interesting to read - https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/20488-sometimes-its-small-things-count.html

Largely a matter of “horses for courses”, both bikes are “capable” both on and off the road, but there are no surprises for the winner in each category. If I had the opportunity (eg if I could get it past her indoors), I’d go for a third TW, a 225 with knobblies

Maybe one day ……

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did a comparison test between the 200 and the 225 a few years ago, you may find it interesting to read - https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/20488-sometimes-its-small-things-count.html

Largely a matter of “horses for courses”, both bikes are “capable” both on and off the road, but there are no surprises for the winner in each category. If I had the opportunity (eg if I could get it past her indoors), I’d go for a third TW, a 225 with knobblies

Maybe one day ……
Awesome write up! You have some great Welsh scenery to explore. Snowdonia is a stunning place!

Thanks for all the info - I'm not used to these tiny buzzy Japanese machines. I'm chuffed to find a helpful source for all my queries!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts