TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4,496 Posts

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
Not Borneo's but good a glimpse into the world of 8000+ meter climbing.
This is a different but interesting Nat Geo climbing documentary. Many others like "Mountain Men,The Ghosts of K2" 49 minute BBC documentary, "K2, The Mountain Line" some 43 minutes as well as "K2 Expedition 2008 Triumph and Tragedy", only 12+ minutes; all on Utube plus many more . Thanks

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was interesting Fred. Lucky for me my wife taped the new one. I will have to watch it this weekend. Generally I don't go in for that stuff much, but that particular event took the lives of some of my team mates from our unsuccessful '06 bid.

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
I imagine you would be seriously melancholy to relive the demise of those close to you. Understand team members share a unique bond beyond anything I could ever imagine. Belated sorrow for your loss.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Surprisingly not. Those were tough men and women. Everyone knew the risks. The dead bodies were there to see, even in '06. I have only good memories. I did take the loss of our team member Joel Brupacher on Manaslu a bit hard, wonderful, young, vibrant woman. Hard as nails. I remember her stopping on K2 and smoking a damb cigarette...those Swiss climber gals, none like them.

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
For those who curious here is a brief summary of the 2008 accident and a peek into Borneo's world.. Makes our everyday lives seem pretty tame by comparison.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
"pretty tame by comparison" that sounds a bit under stated... having always been a wannabe... High altitude climbers have something the rest of us do not. thanks for posting the videos

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, Troll, I will let you into that world. Most who climb at altitude are scared to death. Near as I can figure they are fighting demons. There is just something that happens that requires testing of one's self. It never made sense to me, and I've done it all my life. There is a certain kind of magic that occurs on mountains and in battle. I could never put my finger on it, but I can tell you that in those circumstances, you really live.

·
Super Moderator
17,923 Posts
Well, Troll, I will let you into that world. Most who climb at altitude are scared to death. Near as I can figure they are fighting demons. There is just something that happens that requires testing of one's self. It never made sense to me, and I've done it all my life. There is a certain kind of magic that occurs on mountains and in battle. I could never put my finger on it, but I can tell you that in those circumstances, you really live.
It's the adrenaline rush... ;)
Junkies crave it or they don't feel like they are living..

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LT I used to think that too. I have always loved an adrenaline rush. But I think it is more than that. I had the great fortune to be the grandson of Victor Vivan Buchanan, forward scout in WWI. Man's man. Good guy. He loved war. Think on that. How incredibly un-PC can you get? Yet it was true. He was a scout in WWI at 15. Lied about his age. ( he was CEF, not American) Still young enough to fight in WWII, and did. Now it would never wash in this day and age, and I understand that, but he was a born and bred warrior. He was in his element in war. He would be a scourge today. No one would understand him or appreciate him. But when he was needed, well, he was needed.

·
Super Moderator
17,923 Posts
I agree it can be more than that too. Adrenaline/Spiritual/+some...

You probably have some of that adventuresome spirit in you from him.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Unfortunately, I can relate to the fighting demons thing. They are the 1/3 of angels cast out with the Great Deceiver. Cortisol and adrenaline do have a lot to do with the battles some fight, but I believe the dopamine rush is the most addictive of the three, and probably the most destructive in the long run. Balancing the short term rushes of these three hormones with the socializing and stabilizing affects of oxytocin and serotonin is difficult for some people. Demons seem to key on such folks.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I think your last three words ring a cord with me. Regardless of the whores moaning in our bloodstream, I think we are trying to get to that moment with most things we pursue.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Q I don't claim to know all the chemical things. I know all the words. And I think you may be right. Imagine how difficult it is to live in this modern world and actually state that you loved being in a state of war. It just isn't acceptable. No person could sanely say that. How could that be. And yet, I have family, not just Victor Vivan, but others who bear me out. Possibly I am of a clan that is abnormal. I have never talked to a man who said he enjoyed his experiences in war, but I have visited with many who I sensed that was true.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Ernest Hemingway

1 - 20 of 70 Posts