TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

2009 not starting

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Rainman 
#1 ·
Jumped on my 2009 TW, turned the switch, the lights came on, I pressed the starter and there was a snapping sound and everything went dead. No lights or anything. I have charged the battery and the same thing continues to happen. If I wait a while and turn the key back on, the lights will come back on but the process is repeated. Once it snaps everything is dead, the lights go off and the starter never does turn over. Any ideas would be appreciated!

#2 ·
Remove the seat! (2) 10mm bolts underneath. Check to make sure your battery bolt didn't fall out like mine did!

I had the same symptoms. Bolt was missing, cable bouncing around, arching on frame etc. Be sure to go to a motorcycle shop and get a bolt for the battery (most shops have boxes full) I think they are made from a special metal, not sure if a standard bolt would work?

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
I had the exact same symptoms on my 2009 after I poured some diluted baking soda / water solution on my battery to neutralize some acid. I unscrewed the battery terminal bolts and cleaned the terminals and battery cable ends. Problem fixed.

Hope yours is as simple a fix as mine.

Corey

#4 ·
Just to close the loop on this old topic and perhaps help someone else, problem turned out to be a bad battery. The lights would come on and the battery tested ok (not under load)and the charger even said it was charged. After I finally figured it out I was talking to a friend who is a pretty good motorcycle mechanic, he said "always suspect the battery when dealing with any electrical issue on a motorcycle". So I learned something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.