TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been distracted lately.

It's a fuel injected, water cooled, 750cc V-twin. 56 mpg. Said to be slighly faster than an 883 Sportster in a drag race.

Give me some reasons not to want this.

Mark

·
Registered
284 Posts
They're good bikes, a friend of mine has one and uses it as his daily-rider most of time and uses it for longer trips (500 miles I think is his longest trip so far) on the weekends. I think his bikes is an '08 but looks just like that one. The only thing I don't like about it is the rear drum brake, I prefer disc brakes. Parked side-by-side with my wife's Sportster 883 the bikes seem to be comparable sizes, though the H-D seems heavier (probably is). Can't speak to performance as we've never raced.

I can't give too many reasons for not wanting a Honda cruiser although some Harley guys say Harley's hold their re-sale values better than the imports, though our Sportster is so old ('94) I doubt it will depreciate very much more in value. A benefit of owning a Harley, which I really didn't understand until after we bought our's is you sort of feel like you've joined a brotherhood of sorts, weird I know but when I'm riding around town I get more waves from people, more stares and more people coming-up to talk about the bike than I ever do when I ride my TW. It's like it adds 10 points to your coolness factor (not that I care about such things, if I did we'd have a new H-D and we don't).

All-in all I think their both pretty good bikes, the Honda will argurably be more reliable though even your neighbors eight year old kid will know what it is if you ride-up on a Harley.

--Kevin

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know all about the Harley thing. When I got my TW the first thing everyone said was, "Why didn't you get a Harley?" How does Harley enter someones mind when they are looking at a 200cc Japanese dual-sport? One of my good friends actually made fun of me, asking if I was going to take it to Sturgis. BTW, these are all people who don't own any kind of motorcycle at all.

Although it shares the Shadow name, this bike is actually brand new this year. Honda classifies it as a cruiser because it is made from the same components, but it has a higher seat, less rake, and is shorter than your typical cruiser. I would call it a "standard" bike.

This is why it appeals to me so much. I don't want a cruiser or a sportbike so here in the U.S. my choices are basically nil. In my opinion, the design of this bike is function over form and the power curve of a v-twin would suit my riding style better than a Japanese I-4.

My main concern is that since it is not a cruiser or sportbike, it won't sell well enough in the U.S. and Honda will drop it before I can convince my wife to let me buy one.

Mark

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mark,

There are many reliable standard bikes out there. I have a Triumph Bonneville. It is an excellent machine and looks the same as it did in the 1960's. The Moto Guzzi V7 Classic is another standard that still looks like it did in the seventies. Also, there is the Royal Enfield, but I do not know much about it except that it looks GREAT! That Honda that you are looking at is a beauty will probably be running long after you can.

·
Registered
493 Posts

Mine is faster than an 883. It cost $2600 less new than a two year old 883 and has provided me with a trouble free, great riding experience for 13k+ miles.

Bought late 07 with .3 miles on it. I've changed the oil every 5k after the initial 500 and replaced the rear tire at 11500 miles.

The ONLY problem I had was a 4 month period where I was unable to ride due to a leg injury and the battery died.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a 1999 Honda Shadow 750. Was going to sell it when I bought my TW, but it doesn't even have 9,000 miles and the bike is great. So now I have 2 bikes:) You won't go wrong with that bike and the new style looks very cool!!

Tom

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rusty, I did look hard at Bonnevilles a while back. I'm just a big fan of Japanese reliability so it would take a lot for me to make that leap. I might do it for a Ducati Monster 695 though.

Mike, Like I said I'm not really into cruisers, but damn, that is nice. The RS would look better with silver cylinders. Did you make the taillight yourself? How well does the electrical system handle auxillary lighting? Or was that your way of disguising your front turn signals?

Tom, I'm hoping that by the time I can buy another bike, the TW will have enough miles on it that it won't be worth it to sell it.

Mark

·
Registered
493 Posts
No front signals. Electrical works just fine with the auxiliary lights down low and the LED's in the back.

I am like you about the cruisers, but I like what I have. I really like the RS though, there have been many

times that I would prefer a standard over a cruiser, but having had to add the extended forward controls

to the shadow, I'm not sure I would be as comfortable on the RS. I haven't had the chance to sit on one

though.

I will say this, the stock seat blows tremendously! I did 408 miles in a day (home to tampa) and two days

later came back. My ass was sore for 3 days! So if you plan on doing any extended riding, you may be

looking at an aftermarket seat purchase.

mike

oh, and as far as the chicken strips go on the rear tire... that's as far as I can lean before grinding shiny

parts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't think people cared about chicken strips on a cruiser!

Sitting on it, it feels a bit bigger than I expected. Probably because I am used to the TW. It is heavy at 500 lbs wet.

The passenger position is pretty much useless. It feels like you are going to slide right off the back and the footpegs are too high. I suppose it will take a bit of time before seats are available. Honda doesn't have any optional seats for it. They do have a passenger backrest which would help but I wouldn't want it on when riding solo.

Mark

·
Registered
493 Posts
I didn't think people cared about chicken strips on a cruiser!

Mark

Apparently, around here they do
Then I show them how ground down the bolts are under my footpegs, and they say... ahhhh, okay. Hehe

With mine lowered, passenger is not going to happen that's for sure. It took almost a year before any aftermarket showed up for the C2 (shaft Drive).

Whereas, the DC (chain) had plenty.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to revive a year and a half old thread. Back then I was bemoaning the lack of demand for standard bikes in the US to which Rusty said:

Mark,There are many reliable standard bikes out there. I have a Triumph Bonneville. It is an excellent machine and looks the same as it did in the 1960's. .......

I replied:

Rusty, I did look hard at Bonnevilles a while back. I'm just a big fan of Japanese reliability so it would take a lot for me to make that leap. .......

Rusty should have set me straight back then. The last time I had looked at Bonnevilles the SE model had not come out yet. I thought the T-100 was just a little too retro for me with its peashooter exhausts and full fenders. Less than two months ago I came across photos of this bike.

It sparked my interest enough that I took the time to learn about these new Hinckley Bonnevilles. It turns out these bikes are thought to be very reliable. I could not stop lusting after the bike in the photo and just about one month after I first saw it, I became the owner of a 2010 Black Bonneville Std. I am absolutely thrilled with it. I could not have made a better choice. It has some TW like qualities, a functional design, not over styled, friendly ergonomics, and the way it handles makes it easy to get used to and a blast to ride.

Mark

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I know all about the Harley thing. When I got my TW the first thing everyone said was, "Why didn't you get a Harley?" How does Harley enter someones mind when they are looking at a 200cc Japanese dual-sport? One of my good friends actually made fun of me, asking if I was going to take it to Sturgis. BTW, these are all people who don't own any kind of motorcycle at all.

Although it shares the Shadow name, this bike is actually brand new this year. Honda classifies it as a cruiser because it is made from the same components, but it has a higher seat, less rake, and is shorter than your typical cruiser. I would call it a "standard" bike.

This is why it appeals to me so much. I don't want a cruiser or a sportbike so here in the U.S. my choices are basically nil. In my opinion, the design of this bike is function over form and the power curve of a v-twin would suit my riding style better than a Japanese I-4.

My main concern is that since it is not a cruiser or sportbike, it won't sell well enough in the U.S. and Honda will drop it before I can convince my wife to let me buy one.

Mark

Wrong...still going strong!.....I like mine!.The RS 750 has much better ground clearence than HD (I've had HD's in the past....the bikes today are lower than yester-year....and the Honda quality is another plus.The seating and peg placement is excellant...like the rest of the machine!.Mine is not broke-in yet.....I'm pushin 60 mpg...yes, that's going the speed limits etc..

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
... I became the owner of a 2010 Black Bonneville Std. I am absolutely thrilled with it. I could not have made a better choice. It has some TW like qualities, a functional design, not over styled, friendly ergonomics, and the way it handles makes it easy to get used to and a blast to ride.

Mark
Congrats on the Bonneville. Modern Triumphs are as reliable as any Japanese bikes.

I've put 16,000+ miles on mine and never had to see a dealer for service.

I also looked at the Honda RS. I liked it but could not understand why they put on a rear drum brake... that's a little too retro.

jb

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice bike jb, that is one of my favorite color combinations. What is that chrome pipe coming out behind the cylinders? Mine does not have that.

I still think I made the right choice. It is my first non-japanese bike which is kind of cool in itself. There is tons of aftermarket support. I never got into modding the TW, but I'm already making plans for this one once I can build up some extra cash.

I do already miss the TW. It is just a shame I couldn't justify having both.

Mark

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts