TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're going to Moab!!

Every couple years, me and a few great friends make the journey from Salem, Oregon to Moab, Utah (~2100 miles rounds trip). We go there for the Easter Jeep Safari and it's a full week of non-stop 4wheel drive awesomeness! There are always tons of friends, and thousands of others who are all there to have fun and traverse the red slick rock.

Well, this year, instead of dragging one of our 4x4's down, we taking the dualsports! There are 3 of us going with bikes; Me (TW200), Bagwell (TW200), and Greggy-Pooh (DRZ400).

We've got a list of things to do to get ready and we're starting on them now!

Bagwell has ordered the Ricochet skid plate and is gearing up to do a full tune-up.

I've gotta build a rear rack and upgrade the front tire (considering: Dunlop 606, Michelin T63, Kenda K760 / Trackmaster II, or Kenda K270) (I ride 50/50 but prefer aggressive tires for the harder trails)

Plus lots more stuff to do...

I will update this thread with anything interesting that pertains to the trip. And I'll add tons of photos when we return!

I'm very interested in tire recommendations as well as trail recommendations in Moab. Would love to hear from anyone who's ridden around the Moab area...

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Last trip I stayed about a mile further up the road from The Lion's Back. Pretty close access to town and I had the whole place to myself. Can't recall the exact name of the campsite but I'll go through my pics for it.

Gotta do the White rim.

I don't think there's a bad trail to be had in Moab. Rock bashing or just taking in the scenery, it's all good.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If You're staying in a campground, Arches campground is about 5 miles north of town, trails all around, gas, general store, small pool, showers and if I remember $18 a day for tent site. Good people, that's where I plan on staying when we go down this year.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information so far!

We're staying in a condo again this year and splitting it up between friends so its pretty affordable.

I saw a video of a guy doing Baby Lions Back on a GS1150 - yikes! I've actually done both the original Lions Back (back when it was accessible) and Baby Lions Back in my Suzuki Samurai and it was enough pucker factory in a 4x4 going nice and slow. I'm so curious how well the TW will stick to the slick rock...

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Question: The Lion's back was cordoned off and near as I could tell it was in private hands. No one was around when I was there, so I moved on. The townies indicated that (for a fee) you could get access. Anyone know if that is the case?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
176 Posts
Lion's back was indeed closed last year when I was there. It had been purchased previously by a private owner and the liability was just too much to allow it to be open for public use.

Sounds like you guys are gonna have a blast. My TW is going with me next time I head there. Are you really going during EJS?
Gonna be crowded.

As for trails, you may want to look into some of the local bicycle and moto clubs to see what they run. I know there are one's they prefer. I've always just had my Jeep so those are the one's you already probably know.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lion's back was indeed closed last year when I was there. It had been purchased previously by a private owner and the liability was just too much to allow it to be open for public use.

Sounds like you guys are gonna have a blast. My TW is going with me next time I head there. Are you really going during EJS?
Gonna be crowded.

As for trails, you may want to look into some of the local bicycle and moto clubs to see what they run. I know there are one's they prefer. I've always just had my Jeep so those are the one's you already probably know.

Hey owtcast~

Yeah, we are going during EJS. Many friends are going during that event and we're sharing a condo with some, making it really affordable. Like $169 for the whole week!

It does get a little crowded and the RedRock 4wheelers have certain "trail reservations" that allow access to only them. But, it's also a very entertaining and fun event if you enjoy that kind of thing. There are some folks that we hang with that we only get to see during that event, so its kind of a reunion of sorts.

Anyway, that's good advice to check into local clubs, thanks. I too have only had my rig down there, so I'm only familiar with 4x4 trails...

PS - nice shot going up Moab Rim! That's a frun trail. We rolled going downhill at night, in a HUGE K5 Blazer back in 2004 (never ride with someone you don't know, especially if they've been drinking!). Very scary - a rock stopped up from rolling to the edge of the cliff and over.

Here's one of me back in 2008:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nice Sammy! I like seeing them relatively "unmolested".

And I'm all too familiar with the Rim Trail. Holy smokes! You had someone devine watching over you is all I can say. Just for those that aren't clued in on what trail we are talking about and where he rolled over at..... here's a couple of picks to give you a perspective.

This is a different angle of that same spot.

It's a pretty gnarly ledge that is off camber and leans towards this\/... which is a few feet away. This one I took when my buddy handed me the camera and I shot it from the driver's seat. Notice the high voltage transmission lines which are quite a bit higher than the tops of the trees below. We are a couple hundred feet above that.

Pretty much the entire trail is like that and it all leans towards the river. darnold87... you sir are a lucky man to walk away from that one. And I'll let a couple of pics explain why we go up there. ; )

Sunset over Moab Rim Trail.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks owtcast , I've had my sami for ~12 years and it's really been a great little rig. I prefer having mine on the small side and well equiped (lockers, t-case gears, etc, etc). Keeping them small makes everything more challenging and fun.
Look close though and you'll see that almost every body panel has some level of damage, mostly from tight NW trails and one crazy trip to Moab back in 2002.

Yeah, we were feeling very lucky to be alive (still are!). I'll never forget hanging from the seatbelt, upside down in the back seat. I was going for my leatherman to cut the belt when my cousin lifted me up enough to undo it. It took 4 vehicles & 2 winches to roll that thing uphill and back onto its tires...

Here's a pic that show's her batlle scars / body 'wrinkles' a little better.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I love Moab! I didn't think EJS in 2008 was as crowded as I expected it to be. I am sure high gas prices and a poor economy played a part. Anyone that has never been I would definitely put it on the "bucket list". It is like Sturgis for off road rigs!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Oh I noticed the battle scars.
But they don't affect the capability.... unless they get REAL bad.
And I hear you on the small size being challenging. I have a deep respect for those that have and know how to wheel Samarais well. I've got a little time behind the wheel in a couple of those and understand exactly where you're coming from.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With the trip coming up in a few months, Bagwell & I are starting some mods.

He got his skidplate installed yesterday... http://tw200forum.co...e-installation/

After discussing front tire options with some folks, I ordered the Kenda K270 (5.10 x 19) - more info on this when it comes in and I get it put on... http://tw200forum.co...ded-front-tire/

Today was my 'upgrade the shifter-day'.

I grabbed the MSR shifter for a YZ250. It's a great fit. Maybe 1.5" longer. Doesn't stick out any further than stock. It was like $22 at the local Yami dealer...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Better pack the stock one with you.
I can't count how many times I've folded it back to the peg.
And I don't think that aluminum will be so forgiving.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Better pack the stock one with you.
I can't count how many times I've folded it back to the peg.
And I don't think that aluminum will be so forgiving.

Have you had issues while riding and hitting stuff or issues if you drop the bike? I'll definitely carry the stock one for a while as you suggested. I clocked it slightly higher for ground clearance... and I could go even higher if need be. Will have to see how it does... Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went for a 20 minute ride last night to try out the new shift lever... Wow!
I sure hope it survives the trails cause it is a HUGE improvement in shifting comfort! The increase in length gives more leverage and makes shifting super smooth. The grippy shifter tip makes it easy to shift, even with the side of your boot if you prefer. I'm sure shifting in full motocross boots will definitely be easier.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like a great trip! I've only been to Moab once. That was in the mid 90's when I was in college. Back when I enjoyed riding mtn bikes. Loved the rim trail and slickrock. A friend's sister lived there so we got to stay in town and party. Met some great people from all over the world that trip.

Moab on the TW sounds like a great time. Maybe have to plan a trip for late this year when it cools down and the mtn bikers thin out some.

Byte

1 - 20 of 68 Posts