TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This bike has been f*cked since I got it and I'm trying to salvage it.

It won't idle, cleaned carb 4 times, spark is good and brand new spark plug, brand new gas, carb is properly set, valves adjusted, timing set perfectly check 5+ times.

If you let the bike sit for 5 minutes, it will start right up and idle at like 5,000rpm. Usually will only start with throttle wide open. It will hold idle for 15-30sec, unless you let off the throttle a little then it will die.

After the first start, you have to let it sit for roughly 5 minutes before it will start again.

Took it to a mechanic, he doesn't have a clue either.

Anyone heard of this before?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Have you checked for air leaks using propane or similar? Have you REPLACED the original jets with new OEM jets?

Sounds like he has at least two problems.

1) air leak like you stated
2) CDI or equivalent heating and going bonkers.

OP have u check that you still have spark after its heated up and how far that spark will jump ?

·
Registered
139 Posts
You might be doing the wrong thing in the carb that many times. Bad gasket or something. But for variety, I’d go to ignition. See if your plug wire lead gives you a fat and happy, long jumping spark in the different situations you described. I hope it’s not a CDI problem, and as it seems to respond to temperature so fast, could it simply be the plug? I would imagine you’ve been there already....

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

It won't idle, cleaned carb 4 times, spark is good and brand new spark plug, brand new gas, carb is properly set, valves adjusted, timing set perfectly check 5+ times.

If you let the bike sit for 5 minutes, it will start right up and idle at like 5,000rpm. Usually will only start with throttle wide open. It will hold idle for 15-30sec, unless you let off the throttle a little then it will die.

After the first start, you have to let it sit for roughly 5 minutes before it will start again.

Can you ride the bike? Have you actually ridden a tank of gas thru the bike? Does it run OK except for the idle issue?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The idle jet and the carb adjustment screw are two different entities.
Did you take the carb off and thoroughly clean it and all the jets?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is what I thought too. So, I went to the mechanic and he was very kind and walked me through the process making sure I cleaned the carb right.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you checked for air leaks using propane or similar? Have you REPLACED the original jets with new OEM jets?
I haven't checked for air leaks yet. But the reason I don't think replacing the jets would make a difference is because the bike ran fine on the jets before and they don't have any damage. I have spent to much money on the bike already and am going to limit it as much as I can espescially since I got to ride it once.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like he has at least two problems.

1) air leak like you stated
2) CDI or equivalent heating and going bonkers.

OP have u check that you still have spark after its heated up and how far that spark will jump ?
Brand new spark plug, but no I haven't checked once heated.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Lets start over here :

Had it been sitting in garage or somewhere very long before you got it?

Running out of fuel ?
Isn't that about the time required to run out of what fuel is in the bowl ?
Are you sure you have the float set right ?
It could take 5 mins for the bowl to fill back up if any part of fuel feed is clogged or float sticking or adjusted correctly.

Thinking about it, I have had that same problem, but it has been 40 years since i did and don't remember what it turned out to be. Wasn't anything major.
I assume you are using fresh fuel. Have checked the tank and for fuel lines for partial plugged with dirt?

Have not looked that carb on my TW yet, but assume there is drain plug for the bowl.
When it dies pull the plug right then and see how much fuel comes out.

Did you replace the jets, are they correct ones?

Just how did you clean the carb?
Did you actually take it apart and replace jets and set float level?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Since it will idle, when it starts, that does not suggest a pilot jet, mixture screw or vacuum leak issue.

1. Does it get spark to plug right after it dies? If so, not a spark issue. Pull plug, insert into secondary calbe, ground spark plug prong to motor and crank to test. Spark should be blue/white.

2. Nicoradv's comment about running out of fuel is spot on, if spark is present. Either the fuel tank is not properly venting or flow is impeded by a clogged petcock strainer, etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts