TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, how fast will the TW go? Can I at least sustain 65 mph? I'd like to use this as a commuter and I have a 20 mile highway ride each way. What do you experienced TW200 riders think?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Yes, if: 1. You don't weigh over 300 lbs; 2. Don't go up any big hills; 3. Take the car on days with big winds; and 4.Maintain your bike in good condition. Can you duck your head for 20 miles?
The speedo like all OEM speedos is an overestimate of how fast you are going. Lets say if it says 67, you might be going 65 mph.
I have felt like my bike at WOT was reading 70 mph, and I certainly don't hesitate to crank it if I'm on the Interstate and trying to stay out of the path of a semi, but . . . .
it would be a much more pleasant ride if you could take a secondary hwy and only use the WOT for when you most need it.
I'm a strong believer that the bike will do speeds that it really wasn't designed for. Hell those knobby tires are not freeway tires and are probably not the best for anything except that sweet combination of trails, dirt, highway, and country roads that the bike was designed for. What you do three times a year is not necessarily what you want to do every day on the way to work. JMHO. Tom

Actually in re reading my post, your weight is probably the least important factor. It will pull any weighted person, it just may accelerate a bit slower. Tom

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you are only doing 65 on the Highway for a mile and will be on back roads the other part of your commute you will be fine and will have a blast, but if it will be 65 the whole time it wouldn't be fun at all. Jim

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Hey all, how fast will the TW go? Can I at least sustain 65 mph? I'd like to use this as a commuter and I have a 20 mile highway ride each way. What do you experienced TW200 riders think?
You would have the a bad case of the "tingles" in your hands for a few hours after you get to work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ride my 2009 on highway frequently 50 to 90 miles 65 mph frequently ....... Yup hands and feet may vibrate but it get me there and back.

MPG isn't as good as slower obviously.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Honest answer is without a re-gear 65 is a stretch for a TW and even with a re-gear sustaining 65 could be a problem if there are any hills involved. I also find both of mine to be a bit squirmy at speed. One of mine when i got it had a 45 rear sprocket and i could get it going 75 on the speedo down a hill. Needless to say i wont ever attempt that again, i was on a perfectly smooth road and had a tankslapper at about 65mph, almost lost control of the bike. That was a little scary, i never thought i would crash and die on a TW but i almost did....

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Gotta say upfront, I only have had my 2014 tw for 4 weeks, less than 100 miles, and not out and about all that much{finally the damn weather is warming up however}...and frankly...it feels most comfortable on streets and 2 lanes at no more than 50-55....and to be honest, I love the bike, but I don't believe it is made to ride at highway speeds...that may change when I change the stock chain and do a few mods, but that won't happen for awhile, I am too busy enjoying it at slow speeds and getting used to it that way....I do plan on a 180 mile round trip to Waldo, Ohio, on the back roads and two lanes this summer...that will be my first BIG pavement Adventure.:cool:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Honest answer is without a re-gear 65 is a stretch for a TW and even with a re-gear sustaining 65 could be a problem if there are any hills involved. I also find both of mine to be a bit squirmy at speed. One of mine when i got it had a 45 rear sprocket and i could get it going 75 on the speedo down a hill. Needless to say i wont ever attempt that again, i was on a perfectly smooth road and had a tankslapper at about 65mph, almost lost control of the bike. That was a little scary, i never thought i would crash and die on a TW but i almost did....
I got a chuckle out of this but really I agree whole heartedly these bikes at speed are not stable I am lucky at WOT I didn't hit a pot hole or a squirrel. . Hang on for dear life..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hoot Gibson and fandango,

Can you share what tires and tire pressures you were using? I know the bike itself has some issues, but I am just trying to get a better understanding of what might need to change to improve them.

Thanks,

Matthew

·
Registered
43 Posts
i've done a commute ride twice now at about 60 miles earch run. i get on the hwy for about 5 miles each direction cruising at 60mph and although rev'ed out, the bike is smooth and stable. i'll even sit holding the bars with one hand. i'm thinking of maybe re-gearing tho....after next weekends trip to Durhamtown Plantation

·
Registered
278 Posts
I agree with Croatoan...I ride road only and my commute is 20 miles one way just like yours Steeler...I have a 15/47 setup and I usually stay at or about 57-60mph. But I have plenty left if I need to get on it a bit to be better seen by another vehicle or such...I have absolutely no worries about vibration or speed wobbles or feeling unsafe by any means...am running TW203 and TW204 tires though...my gas mileage ranges from 57mpg to 60mpg...but like someone here once said...I'm getting the most smiles per gallon as well...hope this helps

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Hoot Gibson and fandango,

Can you share what tires and tire pressures you were using? I know the bike itself has some issues, but I am just trying to get a better understanding of what might need to change to improve them.

Thanks,

Matthew
When I had the tankslapper I had the stock death wing on the front running 18psi as suggested by the sticker on the frame. Rear is a tw34 also 18psi. I now run a Shinko 244 on both of my tw's and while it's better the front end still feels a little nervous at speeds over 55. ( granted for me I compare to how planted my Ducati feels at speeds in excess of 130)

I have rebuilt the forks, made sure the height was correct in the triple tree, sag correct front and rear etc. both bikes setup the same feel the same. Interestingly enough when I have the duro on the rear the front end feels a lot better at any speed. The rear gets jacked up a little so more weight is on the front which leads me to think its a geometry issue. I may try raising the tubes a couple mm in the tree and see if it helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
How does one add 1/2 a link to drive chain Croatan? I do not understand your proposed solution to making chain 2.5 inches longer for dual sprocket mod.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Hi Fred,

Even though half links are available for some chain sizes, I believe what Crotoan is referring to is illustrated in the picture below. This is the length of chain that I add/remove when switching between my 47 and 55 tooth rear sprockets.

Hope this helps,

Brian

100_4108.jpg

Here's an example of a half link connecting link.

61cI+dlUi1L._AA1000_.jpg

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I did a 1600 mile road trip on mine and on the way back we road on interstate 75 from Knoxville TN to Franklin Indiana about 400 miles at 65-72mph with 15/47 sprockets will it do it? Yes, is it ideal? not really. Do I wish I would have taken one of the other bikes? No. I wouldnt buy a tw for a highway commuter but I do ride mine on the highway from time to time and im not worried about running the poo out of it. For about what it would cost to have the valves adjusted on a big adv bike I could rebuild the top end of a tw.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
All I'll have to do is add 2 and half links to accommodate the increased rear teeth from 47 to 55. A 15/55 ratio is even better low end torque than a stock 14/50 ration.
The math doesn't work that way. Don't do any math. Stop thinking so hard, you're giving me a headache. Cut a chain to fit the 55, then cut the chain to fit the 47, and you'll have your perfect difference.

For highway, won't matter if you change sprockets or not. Fuel quality and carb jetting will have a lot more to do with top end than minor sprocket tooth count changes. Once Tdub was broken in and on synthetic oil she would do 72mph on EO, 67mph on E10, flat, level, no wind, both ways, speed checked with a certified laser. Tucking in would pick up a couple more. Redline with stock sprockets is 80+mph, so nothing really to gain by changing sprockets, you're just changing one set of annoyances for another. Tdub has seen 84mph on a couple of occasions, think downhill/tailwind/drafting a semi, and she was a bit squirrely. Tdub2 has seen 92mph once. Never again. Moral of the story: o-ring chain on stock sprockets, rejet carb, 2000 miles break-in, Mobil 1, and ride her like you stole her. TW engines are so understressed it's almost impossible to break one except through neglect or stupidity.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts