TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one of these yet? the low seat height seems to indicate it's aimed at the same demographic as the TW.... maybe this is a candidate for those of us that would like a few more cc's....(I'd still keep the TW of course!)

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I've been looking at the XT-250 for awhile now.I had been anticipating the arrival of the Honda CRF-250L.....but then sat on it;perhaps just a tad too tall for me.I REALLY have to have both feet touching the ground while off-road.I'm sure the Honda is a great machine,but, the damn height thing showed it's ugly head.....it's also liquid cooled.Liquid cooling is ok,I guess,but I'd be paranoid of going off road and hitting something /breaking a radiator hose etc?.The XT-250 however is air cooled and FI (like the Honda....FI portion).....I'm not crazy about FI either,for the simple reason,if your battery dies or gets trashed on a get-off your walkin!.There no way to bump start a FI bike.....fuel pump needs juice from the battery to operate.This very reason is another positive plug for our TW-200's.....no FI!.....and you can put a kick-starter on them as well.I have to say that I do like the XT though.....ahhhh,maybe someday?. Last comment,the seat height is one HUGE positive in my book for the XT!.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Anyone have one of these yet? the low seat height seems to indicate it's aimed at the same demographic as the TW.... maybe this is a candidate for those of us that would like a few more cc's....(I'd still keep the TW of course!)
I was looking for the TW and the XT 250 at the Yamaha display at Bike Week in Daytona. There were none to be seen.

When I asked the guy at the display if they were still being made, he assured me both bikes are still in production. They just didn't bring them to Daytona

Jb

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just sold one to a customer. Nice bike. The new FI is nice. I still prefer the TW.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I was shopping for a tw the dealership I was at didn't have a tw in stock, so of course, they steered me towards the xt. I think its a great bike. It pretty much is a tw, except with the extra 50 cc's and fi, which is a plus in my book. I hate the cold natured-ness of tw. I can't remember if it had 5 or 6 gears. It was everything I wanted the tw to be except I had to have the fat tires.

·
Registered
493 Posts
When I was shopping for a tw the dealership I was at didn't have a tw in stock, so of course, they steered me towards the xt. I think its a great bike. It pretty much is a tw, except with the extra 50 cc's and fi, which is a plus in my book. I hate the cold natured-ness of tw. I can't remember if it had 5 or 6 gears. It was everything I wanted the tw to be except I had to have the fat tires.

Exactly. Fat tires!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I've been looking at the XT-250 for awhile now.I had been anticipating the arrival of the Honda CRF-250L.....but then sat on it;perhaps just a tad too tall for me.I REALLY have to have both feet touching the ground while off-road.I'm sure the Honda is a great machine,but, the damn height thing showed it's ugly head.....it's also liquid cooled.Liquid cooling is ok,I guess,but I'd be paranoid of going off road and hitting something /breaking a radiator hose etc?.The XT-250 however is air cooled and FI (like the Honda....FI portion).....I'm not crazy about FI either,for the simple reason,if your battery dies or gets trashed on a get-off your walkin!.There no way to bump start a FI bike.....fuel pump needs juice from the battery to operate.This very reason is another positive plug for our TW-200's.....no FI!.....and you can put a kick-starter on them as well.I have to say that I do like the XT though.....ahhhh,maybe someday?. Last comment,the seat height is one HUGE positive in my book for the XT!.

There's an aftermarket seat available for the CRF250L that lowers the seat height by one inch. Also you can buy a radiator guard for it that will protect the radiator from crash damage.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
If a radiator gets broken or you lose your coolant somehow, you can still ride a water cooled bike if you have to. You just need to be really docile with it and take a 15 minute break (engine off) every 20 minutes or so. Then maybe an hour break every 3 hours if you had to go long distance to get back to a highway or whatever...

·
Registered
310 Posts
I was all about the CRF-250L. At the pricepoint it's the best bike of that size out there. Power is between the XT250 and WR250. But people started reporting problems with the clutches wearing out prematurely. Not a huge issue, but annoying.

For those of you who have ridden the XT250, how much more highway mannered are they than the TW? I consider the TW200 to be useless for highway travel with the 50 tooth rear sprocket because I hate running my stuff at such high RPM for so long. It just feels wrong even if the engine won't die.

I was all about the TW last fall, but decided to look at the XT250 and CRF250L instead. But then wound up finding my TW200 for sale locally on accident (I went to look at an XT350 the seller had.)

The XT350 was way more what I was looking for, but he wanted twice the money and I know the TW will be easy to sell if I ever want to get rid of it. But the XT350 had way more get up and go in traffic and I was sitting higher and didn't feel like I was on a kid's toy.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I read that it was happening on the Honda CRF250L. People claim the Yamaha XT250 is built better (Japanese versus the Thai Honda.)

After now owning my TW200, I prefer air cooled and simple over fancy stuff. I'd probably be after an XT250 if I was in the market for a new dual purpose. It costs more than the Honda and looks older, but I think it meshes well with my desires for simplicity and durability.

The WR250 represents the sport option, which typically means simplicity goes out the window. It also sits way too high for me to even think much about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts