TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a fast bike a lotta time means you are only looking for Smokey behind you. Having a TDub I now realise the necessity of seeing behind you to constantly get out of the way!:p
In this respect I have found the stock ones a total bust. They are strong and clear with no vibe but all I see is me. And all I see with my elbow pulled in is well, my elbow pulled in. So, the search is on for a longer replacement. I am trying to keep it in Canada but will do the US if I have to. Canada's Motorcycle has Emgos for next to nothing and free shipping. However, an adapter is needed for one side and they don't seem to be able to get that.(Damn Yamahas). I am also not sure weather I am dealing with 8 or 10 mm. Open and grateful to suggestions. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
10 mm. Most of us probably have that problem with stock mirrors. I went shorter with a European style, they ended up 3 inches or so above my grips and as wide as the bars. I now see under my arms.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
I was afraid you would ask that. I will have to go find them online and post a pic. Give me a bit..

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Similar to these. The front of them is tapered to allow less wind resistance.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
I think those are the ones I have. Mine may angle a little higher up. They work well for me.

View attachment 10736
Yep, mine look like that in the front, low wind resistance, but mine are shorter and closer to the grips by a couple inches.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Just look at ebay or a motorcycle parts store online. You need right and left thread in 10mm, or the adapter if you can't get them in right and left. They were under 20 bucks. I don't remember who I got them from, sorry.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm lucky enought to be a smaller guy, so the stock mirrors work just fine.
I have been meaning to get some bar-end mirrors, and was going to suggest the same, then remembered I am in the firm minority who rides pretty much only street. I imagine they'd be left wanting pretty quickly if you toppled on a trail.

Goodluck!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I went with the Double Take mirrors at ProCycle. A little pricy and they require the adaptor, but have worked out very well.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Buy mirror extenders perhaps ( procycle has them.....others make them as well ) . The right side mirror / thread on the TW is a left hand thread ( clock-wise loosen....counter clock-wise tighten ) . Yes ,10mm .

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Littletommy, I'd like to find some like your lower profile mirrors. Any suggestions?
Sorry Dave, I looked for them the other day and couldn't find them. They sit about 2 1/2 inches above your grips. I do bump them moving the bike around once in a while, other than that, they are great. Google motorcycle mirrors and then click for images and go from there.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like I finally have an end to my mirror dilemma. I went with a pair of cheepo Emgo rectangular mirrors. Cheepo is is what cheepo does. (Or something like that. lol.) They vibrated so bad you really couldn't make out the vehicle behind you. And, looking back at a pretty girl? Faggidabouddit. Solved that problem when I whacked one on a tree and it dissolved into a pile of dust. (Or something like that. hehe.) So I put the OEMs back on. Thing about these is they are rock solid. So, finally my cheap assed self invested in a pair of extenders from SWMotech for $130 from Twisted Throttle. (Remember I am a Canuckistanian).
Now mounted and the world behind me is mine! :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been very pleased with the "Ken Sean 970510 Black Universal Dual Sport Mirror" from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Ken Sean 970510 Black Universal Dual Sport Mirror: Automotive

The mirrors that came with the bike originally were in sad shape, so the first mirrors I bought were something cheap off ebay. Big mistake. The issue was that within a few weeks something inside the mirror loosened, with the result that at anything over 25 mph, the wind flopped the mirror downward and made it unusable. Since there was no way to make any adjustments and tighten the ballhead and add friction, I tossed those mirrors and got the Ken Sean's. They are very adjustable, and everything can be locked down TIGHT. ( The #17 on the yellow tape is the size of wrench needed for tightening.)

Here's my set-up; bike is a 2003:

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

This configuration is a little homebrew. When I first got the bike, within a day or two, I somehow managed to tip it over -- with the result that the original mirror hit the shelf in my garage, and in the process broke the piece which mounts the mirror to the handlebar, and also the CLUTCH. I ordered the part from the local dealer but also realized that I needed to separate the clutch and mirror.

To do that, I ordered "10MM 7/8" Universal Motorcycle Black Aluminum Handlebar Mirror Mount Clamp X2" from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AA7OFLI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Now, if the bike falls over and I break off the mirror, I only lose the mirror, and not the clutch too. I carry any extra mount with me, so I can replace it easily and be on my way.

These mounts have UNIVERSAL threads, which means you don't have to pay attention to the Yamaha-standard reverse threads on the right side. You can buy any mirrors you want. (In the photos above, to the right of the active mirror mount, you can see the threaded hole for the unused Yamaha/clutch mount.)

Since it was frustrating to have most of the image in the mirror be my shoulder, I also added the "10mm CNC Motorcycle Mirror Riser Extender Adapter Honda" from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008TVBLXM/ref=s9_hps_bw_g263_i2

Most of these items are available from all the usual motorcycle sources; I keep things simple via Amazon.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Are you running a stock height handle bar? My mirror height issue was pretty much resolved when I installed my handle bar risers. I still plan on going with the double take mirrors for crash purposes, but I did notice an improvement in viewing over my shoulders and arms after the riser install.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts