TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm new not only to this forum but to riding in general. Just got my 2015 TW200 as my first bike and its brand new with only 2 miles on it, haven't ridden it yet, (except around the yard since I dont have plates and im getting my license in a couple weeks) but somehow the neutral indicator light is no longer lighting up, almost like the thing is stuck in first gear. Only starts with the clutch fully pulled and wont come out of first gear, I honestly have no idea why this is happening or what's going on but if anyone has any clue as to what's wrong or has a solution that would be greatly appreciated. I spent the last hour and a half or so trying to get the thing back in neutral but no luck. I would call the Yamaha dealer that i got it from but they're closed on Monday's - my luck. Hope you guys know something that i dont about this cause its starting to get me heated lol.

Thanks,
Neil

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Sorry if this sounds too elementary, but do you know for sure that you have it in neutral? with the bike not running but the key on, push it slightly forward and backward while repeatedly pushing the shift lever down. This will make sure you have it into first. Then while still pushing forward and backward try to come up, GENTLY, one click.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Also, with the clutch pulled in, rev the engine up a bit while simultaneously trying to put it in neutral. Sometimes it slips into neutral easier than just running at idle. I recently mentioned this in another thread the other day, check your chain slack. TW is harder to shift sometimes with too loose of a chain. To tight of a chain is not good either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also check to make sure your clutch cable return spring is properly attached, my 2014 came from the dealer barely hanging on and was not working properly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The TW is a real PITA when it comes to finding neutral. Like others have mentioned, going up from first isn't always going to work. Going down from second is how I usually get there. I also find that occasionally I'll get it into neutral and it will take 2-3 seconds for the light to come on.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The TW is a real PITA when it comes to finding neutral. Like others have mentioned, going up from first isn't always going to work. Going down from second is how I usually get there. I also find that occasionally I'll get it into neutral and it will take 2-3 seconds for the light to come on.
That is a long delay. Mine comes on instantly.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Haven't had my TW but a couple weeks and actually I think this is pretty easy, comparatively speaking, to find neutral. A lot of the bikes I ride/rode don't have no stinking neutral lights (dirt bikes). Most of those you had to find neutral while rolling because if you stopped you would never get it with the motor running. I think this TW prefers to be stopped.

·
Registered
139 Posts
"This TW prefers...." I would vote this for sure, as mine has gone through stages of easier to tap down from 2nd, up from 1st, and none of the above. As never been on a new bike, I can't say for sure, but it is easy to imagine new gears being an issue. I found clutch adjustment and even changing oil seemed seemed to make a difference. ---Dell

·
Registered
765 Posts
If it let the bike roll forward a bit, then pull in the clutch and shift to neutral at the same time, I find it much easier. If that doesn't make sense just know I'm tired.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you guys all helped a bunch, great experience with this community for the first time and you'll defintely be hearing from me more!

·
Registered
113 Posts
You may need to take some slack out of your clutch cable. If there is too much slack, there will be enough drag with the clutch pulled in that the bike won't go into neutral while running. Also the switch gear housing for the hi/lo beams may be rotated so that the clutch lever hits it before hitting the handle bar, effectively preventing complete disengagement. Rotating the housing and or clutch perch mount is the solution.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Welcome Neil Hook , hope you have the issue resolved? . The bulb for neutral could have wiggled loose or is defective? . Chain slack , cable adjustment that were all mentioned are hood things to check . As is checking that the shifter is in the proper gear. ... 1st or 2nd , for the upshit or downshift .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts