TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys first time post, I have to say thank you to the hosts of this site for keeping it running! I have found this website a great resource for my new T-Dub.

I have owned my 2016 T-Dub for about 5 weeks now, I have put about 1700 miles on the bike. I have done all of the required maintenance and have changed the oil religiously. I have a few years experience working on various bikes and now I am faced with a new (challenge?) . I have been reading in various places on this forum that the T-dub runs lean from factory.. however from what I am observing the bike appears to be running rich. The reason I think this is because I everytime I let off the gas while riding I hear popping noises and I have been told since day 1 of riding the t dub that there is white smoke coming from the exhaust when I let off the gas. It also appears to be burning oil at a faster than normal pace. I am in Southern California so mostly all of my riding takes place along the beach. Has anyone experienced what I am experiencing? Do I need to rejet? I just find it odd that the bike is running rich while everyone else on this forum claims this bike runs lean. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Hey guys first time post, I have to say thank you to the hosts of this site for keeping it running! I have found this website a great resource for my new T-Dub.

I have owned my 2016 T-Dub for about 5 weeks now, I have put about 1700 miles on the bike. I have done all of the required maintenance and have changed the oil religiously. I have a few years experience working on various bikes and now I am faced with a new (challenge?) . I have been reading in various places on this forum that the T-dub runs lean from factory.. however from what I am observing the bike appears to be running rich. The reason I think this is because I everytime I let off the gas while riding I hear popping noises and I have been told since day 1 of riding the t dub that there is white smoke coming from the exhaust when I let off the gas. It also appears to be burning oil at a faster than normal pace. I am in Southern California so mostly all of my riding takes place along the beach. Has anyone experienced what I am experiencing? Do I need to rejet? I just find it odd that the bike is running rich while everyone else on this forum claims this bike runs lean. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Pull your spark plug and post a picture of it on here. Popping under deceleration is NOT just a symptom of the bike running rich. Your plug doesn't lie. My bike used more oil during break in as well and that was ENTIRELY because my bike was running LEAN which translates to HOTTER.

tOM

·
Super Moderator
19,095 Posts
White smoke is a oil burning symptom.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Please post a pic of you're plug, we're interested.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Super Moderator
19,095 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Watching this thread as well. My 2016 has been puffing smoke after after I change gears and return to the throttle. I also get a lot of engine popping when I slow down using downshifting/engine brake.

I wrote off the little puff of smoke to a little carb cleaner that might have gotten in to the oil filter area when i gave it a quick rinse out. However now I'm more intrigued.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Watching this thread as well. My 2016 has been puffing smoke after after I change gears and return to the throttle. I also get a lot of engine popping when I slow down using downshifting/engine brake.

I wrote off the little puff of smoke to a little carb cleaner that might have gotten in to the oil filter area when i gave it a quick rinse out. However now I'm more intrigued.
I recalled your thread but couldn't find it, was going to ping you. I didn't think it was water in the pipe etc. I don't like the sound of this. If it was my bike i'd find the answer. Burning oil on a new bike (any bike) is ng....

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Remember,
The bike has a warranty and you should not fool with it too much as the dealer can void the warranty,
Call them immediately with the issue and call them every time something is goofy, Or email them if possible,
You paid good money for a good product which should live up to their warranty,
Bike should not smoke during deceleration once engine reaches normal operating temp,
Now if you are in the peoples republic of CA. The entire bike may be goofy which again, It should run fine!
Warrenty says something like 7000 on engine,
Check your paperwork and call the dealer asap..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the late reply guys, life just gets in the way as you know

I pulled the plug and the plug looked pretty much perfect, I checked the timing and had to do a slight adjustment on the exhaust timing, changed the oil and filter, changed out the air filter...

Bike is still burning oil.... I hate to say this but I think its time to bring it into the dealer :/ I will update with what the dealer finds fingers crossed

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So pretty much the dealership told me everything checked out on the bike and that they couldn't get the bike to show any signs of smoke.. which is contrary to what my riding buddies are telling me which is that it happens quite often when I downshift. I might just have to take a video for these people. The dealership told me if the problem gets worse then to bring the bike back (no duh).. Anyways I am not feeling too good about this whole thing, it bothers me deep down knowing there might be a problem building up in my TDUB which I am in love with! I am considering doing a rejet but being at sea level in California I am not sure where to start.. also touching the jetting on a brand new bike just sounds scary. Anyways thank you all for the advice and comments! RIDE ON MY TDUB BROTHERS! :)

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Jet change is not scary it's quite simple the Cali jet is on the extreme lean side of the scale to begin with so one size larger is a good idea. That being said I have may TW's running stock Cali jetting with no problems at all.

When you say it's burning oil are you adding half quarts at every tank fill or is it just the puff of smoke on downshift that makes you think it's using oil?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Its not a half quart at every tank refill, maybe a 1/4 quart every 500 miles. But yes the puff of smoke on downshift could certainly be causing me to think its using oil.

·
Registered
2018 KLX250 camo ; former owner of 2006 TW (retired at 23k)
475 Posts
Hey mrgreenleaf - welcome!

After my rings were replaced, my bike does smoke a bit - more so when dino oil is used.

I have about 19,500 on mine and she does use a little oil. I typically change my oil every 200-300 miles and it consumes about 1/3 quart. ...I do keep the rpms above 8k a lot though!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts