TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 125 is carbureted, which means I probably wouldn't buy one :( But the 350 dual sport is back (and is EFI now!). That bike is so awesome - I want one so bad lol.

Beta USA

And here's a shot of the 125:

https://2yrh403fk8vd1hz9ro2n46dd-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/2017-Beta-125-RR-S-First-Review-Look.jpg

As sick of carburetors as I am, that 125 is a serious little machine (it's not just a cheap pit bike with a Beta badge)!

13 inches of ground clearance, over 10 inches of suspension travel, 220 pound dry weight...this thing could really eat up some serious trails (obviously it won't do hill climbs)!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I traded up from my TW for a Xtrainer, it's by far the best trail bike I've ever owned. Enough power and speed to be fun on the street, good adjustable suspension, easily plate-able, ultra light, unreal low end torque.

The 4T models are great bikes also, but when the 2T is such a sweetheart it's really hard to pass up. A quick needle swap in the carb makes it even sweeter and smoother, giving it "EFI like" smoothness on the street that it lacks with the stock one.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I traded up from my TW for a Xtrainer, it's by far the best trail bike I've ever owned. Enough power and speed to be fun on the street, good adjustable suspension, easily plate-able, ultra light, unreal low end torque.

The 4T models are great bikes also, but when the 2T is such a sweetheart it's really hard to pass up. A quick needle swap in the carb makes it even sweeter and smoother, giving it "EFI like" smoothness on the street that it lacks with the stock one.
So jealous of you guys that live in plate-friendly states lol. That's awesome man! Which state are you in?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm in NY, which historically is not one of the easiest states to deal with on this sort of thing. I bought the bike is Mass just because that's where I found one in stock, and the MSO the bike comes with does not say "OFF HIGHWAY ONLY" or "RACING ONLY" as the MSO's do for everything else. I took the MSO to the local d.m.v office and registered/titled it just as easily as you would a typical street bike. Technically to pass inspection I had to add blinkers, which the bike is pre-wired for, and a mirror that tucks into the bark busters. It even rolls on DOT knobby tires, which I think someone in Italy wrote "DOT" on the side with a sharpie.

Both the RR (enduro) and RS(dual sport) models come with "clean" MSO's, where the RS also comes with blinkers, a gigantic ugly rear fender, mirrors, and EPA friendly mapping.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can plate the Beta's, KTM's and Husqvarna's in ALL states. It's how their titles are written.
I was pretty sure that that is incorrect. But I'm not going to argue, since I'm not totally sure. Maybe you're right. Basically, I'm saying..."are you sure you can plate those off-road only models, even a 2017 model in CA?" That of course would beg the question: is it possible to get a CA plate on a NEW Beta 300RR...? I'd think if that were possible, there would be billions by now...? But maybe just the four strokes...?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
You can plate the Beta's, KTM's and Husqvarna's in ALL states. It's how their titles are written.
Please share Bob! I'm curious as well...;) Last I heard/read, the DMV was looking very closely at make and model, is it possible in NJ? Will/could they "catch up" in the future?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I personally know 17 guys with Beta's, XTrainers, 300RR's, and the 4 stroke models. All of them are plated in, NJ. I know 6 that aren't in that 17 NJ group, that are plated in NY. What Beta, KTM, GasGas, and Husqvarna are doing, is giving the dealer's Open Titles. What that means is, where it normally says, Street Use, or Off Road Use Only, there is Nothing. So the Dealership has to fill that part out. "Most" dealers are writting in Street Use, but Only if the bike has head light and tail light. ALL of the models (Beta) already have the wiring for the lights including turn signals. So each Beta model can be bought with or without lights. This is done at the dealership if not already lighted from factory. Since this area has such a huge legal riding area for Plated bikes, they all sell with Street Use Titles. All you need to do is ask. If they don't or won't, then find a dealer that will. 99% of them will in most all states. Never ever heard of anyone that couldn't get a plated Beta, Husky, GasGas or KTM if it had head light and tail lights. I'm on a LOT of enduro and dual sport FaceBook groups. This is where I spend all my time the passed year and a half. NJ, PA and NY are loaded with the euro bikes. Jap bikes are becoming VERY Rare. Everyone had KTM, Husqvarna, Beta. And in that order, with Beta being very close for second popular with Husqvarna. I'm still not sure which brand I'm getting yet. But 100%, it's going to be a 300cc 2-stroke, Plated.....;)

·
Registered
815 Posts
California wants an emission certificate from manufacturer that the model meets standards. I see outta State units with Dual Sport kits n plates for sale reasonable pretty often. I seem to recall there was a digit designation on the VIN as well but it's late. The digital age means all the loopholes in these things are disappearing. Oh well at least in Ca we can ride pretty much year round.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I cant see the difference between the 390 RR=S and the 350 RR-S Stat sheets are the same. Any idea?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I cant see the difference between the 390 RR=S and the 350 RR-S Stat sheets are the same. Any idea?
Yea...that is just one of a number of errors on the American Beta web site. I contacted Beta, both on Facebook and through the web site, to inform the contacts of all the errors, and of the importance of taking care of those errors immediately. At least I got a response from the Beta Facebook page, saying thanks...my other message didn't even garner the bother of a simple response. To be honest, I'm really pissed with them over this. It's like they just don't give a fuck. If people at Beta can't manage to write about their bikes on the internet, without screwing up, then can Beta really be trusted to build those bikes? I realize different people are responsible for those things, but it's more the principle of the matter. They've been told about the errors, and do not bother to fix them. That REALLY pisses me off. I literally would NOT buy any new Beta if that crap isn't taken care of. It's just pathetic, and it makes me sick.

Reactions: ejfranz

·
Registered
20,376 Posts
I wonder if a phone call to a Beta rep would clarify things? We used to have a Reno Beta outlet but they closed. However a call to a California Beta Distributor would hopefully clarify if a 350rr-s
can be readily licensed. If doable in California likely doable in other 49 states plus Puerto Rico.

KJ, you could try calling:DOUGLAS MOTORCYCLES390 North H Street
San Bernardino, CA 92410
Phone: 909-884-4776
Fax: 909-384-1096

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I wonder if a phone call to a Beta rep would clarify things? We used to have a Reno Beta outlet but they closed. However a call to a California Beta Distributor would hopefully clarify if a 350rr-s
can be readily licensed. If doable in California likely doable in other 49 states plus Puerto Rico.

KJ, you could try calling:DOUGLAS MOTORCYCLES390 North H Street
San Bernardino, CA 92410
Phone: 909-884-4776
Fax: 909-384-1096
The 350 RR-S is supposed to already be the factory-plated version (RR-S designation). A guy on one of my Facebook groups is the sales manager at Douglas. I kind of let him know that it bothered me. He didn't seem too concerned - just gave my message a like ​lol. That's okay, though. I don't think it's his responsibility.

The bottom line, for me, is that that kind of issue represents a lack of attention to detail - NOT GOOD when we are talking about a company that builds motorcycles! It doesn't help that I am obsessive compulsive - I can't stand it!

·
Registered
20,376 Posts
Facebook and e-mails can be ignored or not addressed properly. A phone call recipient has a harder time dodging a direct question. Give them a call, talk to a human and ask directly "Have any of your customers successfully licensed for street use a Beta 350RR-S in California? Yes or no answer please!" -Answer should be "Yes" from a person in sales, and "I think so" from service department people.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Facebook and e-mails can be ignored or not addressed properly. A phone call recipient has a harder time dodging a direct question. Give them a call, talk to a human and ask directly "Have any of your customers successfully licensed for street use a Beta 350RR-S in California? Yes or no answer please!" -Answer should be "Yes".
Well, my emails were about the errors on the web site. I think we may be talking about two different things, here. But what you say absolutely applies to my messages about the errors, as well. I suppose perhaps I may be unfairly holding the entire company accountable for the incompetence of a few bad-apple employees. Perhaps I will try to call and speak to a senior representative or something, as you say. If I do, I'll be sure and mention that the email and Facebook contacts did nothing to address the issues.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, it looks like Beta finally did address the issue of the errors on the web site...whether it had anything to do with my emails, I don't know...but I'm glad they fixed them. Maybe I was unreasonable in my expectations of how fast they should have gotten it done. It just doesn't seem that hard, to me. But sure, I guess maybe they are busy or whatever. Anyway, there is still at least one glaring error that reflects rather poorly on those responsible. I sent another message, stating as much. Who knows if my emails made any difference, or if they just happened to fix them on their own. At least now the specs appear to be correct for the 390 (386 CC and accurate bore and stroke numbers - instead of being identical to the 350's spec sheet). I must say, the spec sheet on that 390 sure is appealing, now that it's been corrected :)

Reactions: ejfranz
1 - 16 of 16 Posts