TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW Unveils 2017 G310GS | Motorcyclist

It's not confirmed yet...whether or not the U.S. market will get this model.

It isn't exactly hitting the mark, IMO, but it is nice to see someone at least trying to make some kind of "dual sport" BETWEEN 250 and 650 cc...

What it DOES have:
-34 horsepower
-EFI
-"almost" the right displacement (still slightly smaller than I'd want to see, but the power is fairly good)

What it does NOT have:
-light weight (I'm not sure it's really light enough to make bothering with it over the 650GS feasible)
-wire spoke wheels\

???:
-U.S. availability
-proven reliability

Bottom line: if it were about 40 pounds lighter and had wire wheels, I might just buy one! Sadly, it isn't, and it doesn't...typical... :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Watching the video makes me thing there are probably too many heavy, unnecessary farkles from the factory that could be shaved down to cater to the buyers wanting a reliable small cc bike that they can throw around and make it on the highway.

They are trying to make it look kool instead of be cool.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That Kawi looks like a winner. My only experience with BMW was a gs650 and its on my "never gonna buy " list
I like the Kawi too, looks like a nice bike and it's looking like a "buy" in a year or two for me.... as long as it comes in a color other than ugly.

Edit: And the there is a 250 Vstrom apparently too. I've never been a fan though, something about the lack of offroadability they seem to have. what with the oil filters hanging out front and how low they seem to be.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seen this one yet? Looks like Kawasaki is going to make good use of their little P-twin:

MILAN SHOW: Kawasaki Versys-X 300 | MCN
I had not; thanks for posting it up! These are not what I'm looking for for MY next bike, but they are fairly neat little ideas, and a step in the right direction (toward modern >250/<650 dual sports). It's really nice to see that this might be a trend that is starting right now! With Suzuki, BMW, and Kawasaki all apparently on board, it seems likely that Yamaha would follow with a "Tenere 3 (R3 motor)". Of course that still won't be my personal golden ticket to future motorcycling joy, but it will be cool to see Yamaha's version. I feel that Honda, if it does anything, will just do some updates on the 500X, in 2019 or so.

The Kawasaki does have wire wheels, which is awesome, but the estimated weight is exactly the same as the BMW (I'd presume that's how the author garnered the estimate...). Also the seat is not going to work for dual sporting. I will concede though, that these ARE ADV machines...they aren't supposed to be dual sports, haha.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
All great choices I am sure. None of them will find their way into my garage though unless manufacturers take seat height into consideration. Thus far very few have.

Tom

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
All great choices I am sure. None of them will find their way into my garage though unless manufacturers take seat height into consideration. Thus far very few have.

Tom
I think at least some of these do that?

You've seen this, right? : Svartpilen

If it wasn't a KTM product, and it had about 4 inches more ground clearance...I might take a serious look :) I do think the Vitpilen has a ton of potential as a canyon carver. I can pretty much tell just by looking at the Vitpilen that it would fit my street riding style perfectly - I ride supermotos basically the same way I ride crotch rockets, and this model looks like it would work very well ridden that way!

I think the Svartpilen is basically what the 390 ADV would have been if KTM hadn't wisely decided to scrap that attempt and essentially start fresh for the 390 ADV project.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
I think at least some of these do that?

You've seen this, right? : Svartpilen

If it wasn't a KTM product, and it had about 4 inches more ground clearance...I might take a serious look :) I do think the Vitpilen has a ton of potential as a canyon carver. I can pretty much tell just by looking at the Vitpilen that it would fit my street riding style perfectly - I ride supermotos basically the same way I ride crotch rockets, and this model looks like it would work very well ridden that way!

I think the Svartpilen is basically what the 390 ADV would have been if KTM hadn't wisely decided to scrap that attempt and essentially start fresh for the 390 ADV project.

No I had not seen that Husky. I also don't see ANY dealers in my area OR an MSRP. Cool bike though.

Tom

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Since I've basically degraded this thread into my little "exciting concept bike" dump, here's one more. I think this one takes the cake:

Yamaha T7 Concept Unveiled in Milan! (Gallery and Video) - Cycle News

There were rumors and some speculations, and it looks like Yamaha might end up actually doing this one. I imagine the T7 will be around 430 pounds, realistically, if Yamaha does well with the project. Just look at the T7 pictures and imagine 36 horsepower/350 pound T3 - that's what I want to see! Looking at the way the concepts and market seem to be trending right now, I could see Yamaha actually doing that in maybe 2020 or so.

EDIT: Some estimates claim that the T7 will be under 400 pounds. I think they're being a little optimistic, but who knows. That just so happens to be my cutoff for usability as a dual sport. Also, it's supposed to likely be released as a 2018 model. That could be enough to entice me to buy. I want something a lot lighter, but...to use the KLR as a sort of negative benchmark (no offense KLR guys): 35 pounds lighter with an extra 25 horsepower and a much better chassis and suspension setup, and better highway manners, and it would look at lot better IMO. All that for maybe $8,500 or so. Hmm.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hey what size motor in the Honda ATEC?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Ok tks. That's a bigg ass motor for off road.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok tks. That's a bigg ass motor for off road.
No kidding haha! I think at absolute best the Enduro would weigh in at 450 pounds - not light enough to really make it a lot better than the regular AT. I like the idea of that concept quite a bit, but the real thing will likely disappoint (although it's unlikely to reach final production, anyway, IMO).

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Can I please just have a bare bones street legal dirt bike. One without an N.B.A. height seat,400-450CC and a large gas tank? I don't need another KLR with easy to smash bodywork.

·
Registered
81 Posts
These are all coming close to what I want without one actually hitting the mark completely... but it's good to see the market growing. I'd love a 300-400cc fuel injected under 375lb bike with 6-7 inches of travel front and rear. The Ktm looks closest but also 4years before it hits market.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts