TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the recent Add!

Quick back story-

I have been riding MC's since before driving a car, like many of you. Everything from Crotch Rockets to HD's over the years. I sold my last dirt bike, a Suzuki DR 350 bored out to 385, back a few years ago when my son decided he wanted to stop riding dirt bikes. Pressure from the then wife resulted in my selling the DR, after which my son decided he wanted to get back into riding. Ahhh, got to love kids! (Now he rides a YZ250 and sends it on the 90 foot step up at Shell Reef in Ocotillo Wells!)

Fast forward to the present, I bought one of these to give to my daughter for Christmas:
Honda TRX250EX.jpg

Because I didn't want to chase her around the desert in my Jeep, I decided I needed a dirt bike, quad or enduro. Ever since owning the DR, I have wanted a street-legal dirt bike to explore the less traveled places. After doing a little research, I became intrigued by the TW 200 as it seemed to fit both my wants pretty well. So, last Thursday, on the way to lunch with some friends, I made the mistake of driving by one of the local MC dealers that had a TW on their lot. I never did make it to lunch, but I did come home with this:

TDub Driveway.jpg

Here I am standing beside my trusty new steed:

TDub Bullpen.jpg

Sorry about the bad pic, from my buddies phone camera.

Anyway, I really like riding the TDub, and have learned quite a bit from the forum already. Put the larger pegs on as the first mod. What was Yamaha thinking. I had a chance to walk by a Yamaha PW50 yesterday, and I believe they used the same pegs on both!

I look forward to learning more from the forum and hopefully meeting up for some rides in the future. I am located in the San Diego area.

Thanks and Ride Safe

Mike

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum!! :D
Thanks for the recent Add!

Quick back story-

I have been riding MC's since before driving a car, like many of you. Everything from Crotch Rockets to HD's over the years. I sold my last dirt bike, a Suzuki DR 350 bored out to 385, back a few years ago when my son decided he wanted to stop riding dirt bikes. Pressure from the then wife resulted in my selling the DR, after which my son decided he wanted to get back into riding. Ahhh, got to love kids! (Now he rides a YZ250 and sends it on the 90 foot step up at Shell Reef in Ocotillo Wells!)

Fast forward to the present, I bought one of these to give to my daughter for Christmas:
View attachment 145673

Because I didn't want to chase her around the desert in my Jeep, I decided I needed a dirt bike, quad or enduro. Ever since owning the DR, I have wanted a street-legal dirt bike to explore the less traveled places. After doing a little research, I became intrigued by the TW 200 as it seemed to fit both my wants pretty well. So, last Thursday, on the way to lunch with some friends, I made the mistake of driving by one of the local MC dealers that had a TW on their lot. I never did make it to lunch, but I did come home with this:

View attachment 145689

Here I am standing beside my trusty new steed:

View attachment 145697

Sorry about the bad pic, from my buddies phone camera.

Anyway, I really like riding the TDub, and have learned quite a bit from the forum already. Put the larger pegs on as the first mod. What was Yamaha thinking. I had a chance to walk by a Yamaha PW50 yesterday, and I believe they used the same pegs on both!

I look forward to learning more from the forum and hopefully meeting up for some rides in the future. I am located in the San Diego area.

Thanks and Ride Safe

Mike

Registered
Welcome to the group and Congrats on the new ride from Ontario.

I'm curious what the black cylinder is mounted on the frame just above the exhaust pipe? At first I thought it might be an aftermarket coil but seems too large for that so maybe a pre-oiler for the valves/cam? Do tell??

Super Moderator
California emissions charcoal canister.
Welcome to the group and Congrats on the new ride from Ontario.

I'm curious what the black cylinder is mounted on the frame just above the exhaust pipe? At first I thought it might be an aftermarket coil but seems too large for that so maybe a pre-oiler for the valves/cam? Do tell??

Registered
Nice! Buying the quad for the daughter is going to give you both some very nice memories of time spent together having fun. I used to quad with my kids often when they were living at home.....They are both coming back for 7-10 days for Christmas (coming home this Friday) and they have requested some time out in the woods. I have the Dub and 2 quads so we will be out there playing like years ago :)

Registered
Hi from San Diego. Congrats on the new TW. More advise remove the plug on the carb pilot screw and adjust it to @2 1/2 turns. When you change your oil be aware of problems with the wrong oil filter being in the correct box. Just clean your old one and reuse it or make sure the new one has four small holes in the end matching the original one.

Registered
We love helping new members spend their money!
brian
,,,,, :rolleyes:

You'll hear it from others, but plan on getting a real skid plate, replacing the front tire, making sure that your clutch return spring is properly installed, get hand guards, etc.

Any questions, just ask,

Brian
Hi Brian,
I'm one of the new guys on the block and am wondering what skid plate, front tire, and hand guards forum members recommend? And why the front tire? I believe I recall seeing a Shinko 241 mounted on a brand new 2018 TW. Thx.

John_Quinn_

Registered
Hi John, and welcome to the forum!

Most members go with the Ricochet skid plate. It is a beefy aluminum plate that does a good of protecting the bottom of the engine and side covers.

The stock front tire is lovingly referred to as the "Death Wing", due to its propensity to wash out suddenly on wet, sandy or gravelly surfaces. I switched to the Shinko 244 "Golden Boy", but feel that it too heavy and am now planning to switch to the Shinko 241 trials type tire.

There are a variety of handguards that members have used, but I think that the Tusk D-Flex style seem to be the most popular and least problematic to get fitted. I am just using a pair that came off of some random KTM bike.

I hope this helps,

Brian

Registered
Brian, here's mine at this point.

I'm getting a 241 very soon, but only having my 2010 for about 6 weeks, here is what I have done so far.... I have installed the folowing:

A Cycle Racks rear rack I scored locally as a private sale, that's like new, for $100.

A set of "High ATV" Pro-taper bars, ( as everyone here seems to really like these ). I did cut about 1/2 " off each end in my Horizontal band saw. ( I really like these and got them thru the local Yamaha shop for right at $70. )

A cheap set of SRT handguards with all the required mounting hardware.
I found these Chinesse handguards on "Clearance" at a local dirt bike accessory shop for $20 ( regularly right at $40 ). They are cheap, and I have read nothing good about them here, but they seem solid construction wise, give me decent hand and lever coverage, and mount up very solidly. :eek:ccasion14: I guess time will tell on these.

A set of new Pro-taper grips for $12 when I bought the handguards.

A brand new lightweight 2X "Fox Racing" MX helmet for 50% off at the same accessory shop for $62.

Curently have a set of DMO riding pegs and a Ricochet HD aluminum skid plate coming from PlacerLoad ( a member here on the forum )

Note, those DMO foot pegs HAVE to be a great improvement over "Stock", and I read here there well worth the $.
However, there are others I have also looked at that are " cast steel " and available thru Ebay that just need a slight fitment adjustment, and sell for $17. Many here seem to have these and are very happy with them also.

Now I'm in the market for a set of "Good" folding mirrors and a tool tube or 2 in the future, as well as the 241 front tire I still need.
I feel ( and my wife confirms ) I'm done with my up-grades ( at least for now ;) ) as I'm old, and won't be out there "Tearin' it up much anymore".

Gene aka: excalibur

1 - 14 of 14 Posts