TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry...it isn't plated. But, it is definitely a great step in the right direction, representing a continuation of the recent trend among Japanese manufacturers toward more of an off-road focus, as opposed to machines purpose built for groomed supercross tracks.

The thing is, this isn't just different graphics and a milder cam. They actually did quite a bit to make this a legitimate competition off road bike: 18 inch rear wheel, bigger tank, kick start/electric start as standard etc. Unlike the phased-out 450X, this new model comes with programmed fuel injection! The seat is a little tall, but that's nothing that can't be dealt with. I'd love to own one of these (who wouldn't...)!

https://powersports.honda.com/2017/crf450rx.aspx

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
779 Posts
No headlight, same 60hr. engine lifespan as the other MX bikes, dollar per hour ends up very, very high for the riding I like.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, I have no illusions about long term durability and low-cost ownership experience...but if I could afford it... I've really grown to appreciate bikes like this over the years, having ridden thousands of miles of hard enduro on bikes NOT made for hard enduro, with the occational bike-swap with a buddy here or there. I still want the more economical, reliable bikes, but there's also a special place in my dreams for expensive, high maintenance pieces of shit with kick ass performance lol. Admittedly, a headlight could be nice. But considering there's no plate and all...not strictly necessary IMO.

·
Registered
821 Posts
When one pushes the envelope of design, longevity suffers. Racers often rebuild engines before each race. Many of the newer amazing performance units do not have long service periods and high maintenance. Not designed for long term use, designed to win races. Nothing new about that.

Reactions: jbfla

·
Registered
779 Posts
60 hours is the top end end service interval on most high power 4 stroke MX bikes these days. At an average of 20mph that equates to 1200 miles. Maybe you can double that interval for trail use with good maintenance and a more casual riding style, lower RPM etc... it's still probably 2500 miles. If you can do the work yourself it's probably $1k, have a shop do it, maybe $1.8k. Plus add all the extra $ in oil, oil changes, filters, you are talking about ton of cash if your not racing. Look at how many 3 to 5 year old MX bikes are out there for half of new price. Everyone knows you can easilly drop $3k on a complete rebuild, so unless you get the used bike for $3k, it's cheaper to buy new. Agree, they are cool, but on my best day riding single track, I can't use more than 30hp, that bike is probably close to 50! A friend of mine had a KTM 520, it would shoot roosters 50 ft. rip your arms from your sockets if you had traction, But it took an hour to change the oil (tipping it one way, drain, tip it the other way, drain, fill, tip, tip fill) and the service interval was measured in a few rides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts